RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game In A Week XIII

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
I was going to say earlier that doing these GIAW's has really helped me.

Go back and look at Pulsus. Too many cutscenes without enough action. It was a movie. Then look at those maps. WAY too much empty space. I've learned from that and the judges' critique.

With Eden, I aimed too high and spent too much time on things that ultimately didn't make it into the game.

So on my third go around I'm trying to use that and make a better game.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Rep:
Level 83
Hmm, I wonder what I'll learn from the critiques...

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
In the past, I was far too shy to post any games, so I just sort of learned on my own (I probably made about 20 unfinished games before posting one). My first actual RPG Maker release was part of a GIAW (called Major Arcana). *__* I feel like I learned so much more from that than I ever could on my own! :)

So, its definitely a good idea to post whatever you can, and get whatever feedback you can!
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 87
I find that these are a great way to practice three things:

1) Working on the essentials FIRST - If you focus on some special effect or piece of art rather than the meat of the game, it'll suffer for it.
2) Scoping - If you dream too big, it'll bite ya.
3) Thinking Smart - If you design the game to be something that can be made easily, you'll do a lot better.

These to me are some of the most important qualities of a good game designer, even higher than designing good mechanics and such. If you can't handle these, none of those beautiful ideas will ever exist.

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
Oh god, I just remembered that I forgot to change the grass tile that the water autotile uses.
Spoiler for:

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Spoiler for Great Truth:
I find that these are a great way to practice three things:

1) Working on the essentials FIRST - If you focus on some special effect or piece of art rather than the meat of the game, it'll suffer for it.
2) Scoping - If you dream too big, it'll bite ya.
3) Thinking Smart - If you design the game to be something that can be made easily, you'll do a lot better.

These to me are some of the most important qualities of a good game designer, even higher than designing good mechanics and such. If you can't handle these, none of those beautiful ideas will ever exist.

Exactly! I'd like to add that for games with big ideals, you can always add stuff on once you've got the important stuff done with!

But sometimes, working with the stuff you're used to can get boring and cause the "blank canvas" feeling. What has helped me in the past is to take database ideas from previous games and recycle those. So, you can get to the fun stuff sooner. ;o That applies to a lot of ideas for things that you don't enjoy, not just database (I kinda like database ok).
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 87

Definitely. It's way easier to fill in blanks than it is to draw on a blank canvas. I always make the names of every location in the game before I even begin to map them at all. Then I do THE most basic maps you'll ever see with no art, gameplay or events! It's just small jobs that lead to the final product! What's nice is that you can notice overarching problems early on and fix them before you commit any time to something.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9

Then I do THE most basic maps you'll ever see with no art, gameplay or events!

Awesome advice.

I can't do it.

Mapping is my joy when it comes to rpg maker. Nothing else gets me so pumped. Eventing and cutscenes are fun, but maps make the game alive to me!

But I may try to see if doing this helps me accomplish other things in the future. :-p

Rep:
Level 83
Great advice indeed!  I actually started with a test map for mechanics.  Worked on collision detection and other major mechanics, and caught a huge number of minor issues that would have been huge problems if I had started eventing or even map creation first.

Every map in my game shares about 40 events.  I tested these events on my test map.  Once I had my mechanics working correctly, I simply copied and pasted the test map (with all events) and then slapped down new mapping on top of it.  Literally every map is a pasted and modified version of my test map.  Doing things this way allowed me to make a much larger project than I otherwise could have in so little time. 

Really, bluntsword?  You like mapping that much?  You and I should talk...  ;)

Rep:
Level 81
Participant - GIAW 11
Ehh, I still think it would be nice to be able to get others together to work on various projects which on that note I wouldn't mind some artistic help at times either. :/

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Working with teams is great, as long as you've got reliable partners beside you! :D It's also a nice way to get to know others.

tbh, I wouldn't mind doing more team challenges around the forums. B) Maybe a smaller form of the guilds or something.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 83
That would be a lot of fun to do team challenges...

I'm doing a project with a friend already, and it's a big load off not having to tackle the whole darn thing... In fact, I'm getting motivated to work on it more just writing this!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
ETA at this point is late Monday, though even that's not set in stone.

late Monday,
late Monday,
late Monday,

It's all good. Whichever judge is having personal problems, feel no pressure. Just patiently waiting to be able to belittle the top three's efforts.

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
Artist
I am waiting the scores...i want the scores...i am waiting the scores... - judge open the door -
Spoiler for:

GIVE ME THE SCOREEEEEEES!

Now really, no problem, but not more sure dates please xDDDD

Rep:
Level 83
Weer r teh scorezz?!!?

AUAGUGHH!

Meh, it's all cool

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I catch Pokemonz every time I come to this thread :D

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
I catch Pokemonz every time I come to this thread :D

You went and jinxed it.  :mad:

Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
did i? :3

*EDIT*
I think I did T_T

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
i have to confess something, i cant keep this a secret anymore
i slept with one of the contestants. i will continue being a judge but i just had to confess this to get it off my chest

Spoiler for:
sorry blunt i couldnt keep it a secret any longer ;~;
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I thot it was gun b me

waei to brak my hart
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
LOL

bluntsword is probably the funniest clean member we have ;__;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72

Glad to fill the void!

Rep:
Level 83
I don't know how clean he is if he's sleeping with the judges...

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels

Glad to fill the void!

Way to turn it dirty!