RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] My First Song

Rep:
Level 71
I've been attempting to create the main theme for a project I've been working on lately. I'm pretty much completely new to composing so any suggestions on ways to improve it?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:18:10 AM by irock »

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\รด/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
First of all, I'm not a music creator, only listen to all kind of music, as long as I like it. ;)
Second thing, sounds really dreamy and soft. Like it so far. :3
For an Intro-Sequence, where characters get introduced, or a really calm/normal life intro it fits.
Else I could say that one or two instruments more would be good, kinda like a base/bass line. (\s/)
Hope didn't writen it too chaotic. :D /)

Rep:
Level 71
Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I actually had a base in a early version of the song but I decided to take it out. I might add it back or consider adding something else.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
sounds pretty dull for a main theme.

when I hear it I imagine it as like some ambient noise in a quiet area, with the odd xylophone being played.

Rep:
Level 71
I know it's sort of strange for a main theme but I started designing the main menu first and I think the song fits it pretty well.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Alright, so I'm okay with the ambient vibe you're going for, but I'm not feeling it as a theme. No offense, but there really isn't much of a theme to it. A theme is something that repeats, something with a format, something that happens once and then comes back so the listener can be like "that sounds familiar," and that's what helps associate a piece of music with, say, a character or setting.

So in my opinion, it was a bit rambling, and wasn't very concrete.

Now that's not to say you don't have anything at all. There's a lot you can work with, here. You just need to focus it a bit, and zero in on what, exactly, your theme is.

I know you're just starting out, so definitely try to get some music theory learning when you have time. Knowing basics like chords, and how they're put together, and how to choose a melody to go on top of those chords will give you a lot more insight in to how (and why) good music works.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of tinkering with your track. I took the first 10 seconds or so, and kept 90% of the notes, but adjusted the timing a bit and made some slight alterations. Then I repeated it, and the second time, I gave it a new ending. Really simple sectional (ABAC) songwriting type stuff. Like I said, I think you have something. You just need to focus in on it a little more.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 71
Hmm alright I'll look into music theory and try to find a theme. I was actually trying to avoid repeating parts of the song to make sure it wasn't repetitive but your version does sound a lot better. Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I get wanting to avoid sounding repetitive, but repetition is what makes a theme a theme, what makes it memorable. Think of any John William's movie score (Star Wars, for example) and how it repeats, but ISN'T repetitive. You just gotta find a nice balance.

Keep at it, man!

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 40
Just keep scrollin'~
Not a theme, unless you're making a game that is something with almost no story, or something very ambient.

Could be used in a holy place or cave.

Very nice, though!

Rep:
Level 71
Thanks. So I went back to try and add a theme. It's a little rough at some parts but is this going in the right direction?

Rep:
Level 40
Just keep scrollin'~
You're getting warmer... :blizj: