RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Picture instead of character information in menu

Rep: +0/-0Level 38
RMRK Junior
Hey guys!
I don't really know how to explain my needs, but a picture is worth a thousands words :Vg;
Spoiler for Screenshot:
This screenshot is from the game "Mogeko Castle" and I'd like to have a script to show this character picture and game logo for example instead of the characters with its faces, hp/mp gauge etc.
I could imagine that it's not that difficult, but I don't understand any RGSS at all :D

Or is there maybe a script existing I didn't find?

Cheers :)

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I'm a fan of the idea so I broke my vow of RGSS silence to whip up a steaming pile of code.
Code: [Select]
module PAC
  Menu_Picture = "MenuBackground"
end

class Scene_Menu < Scene_MenuBase
  alias pac_picturemenu_start start
  def start(*args)
    pac_picturemenu_start(*args)
    create_pac_picture
  end
  def create_status_window
    return
  end
  def create_pac_picture
    @background_sprite2 = Sprite.new
    @background_sprite2.bitmap = Cache.picture(PAC::Menu_Picture)
  end
end

Basically, you'll need to import the picture you want as the overlay picture in to the Pictures folder (set transparency and all that), and change Menu_Picture to the name of that image. Should work. Make sure the image you're using is the correct resolution, as I didn't put in options for placing the image in a specific spot. Just use a 640x480 image and position things as you will.

I hope this is what you're after.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK Junior
Oh, thanks a lot! This is exactly what I was looking for! :)

Works also great with Yanfly's Menu Engine :)
Some additional minirequest: is there a possibility to tint the background a bit (black)?

Ki~

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Why not just tint the picture itself in an image editor?

RMRK Junior
Why not just tint the picture itself in an image editor?
I meant the map in the background:x

Ki~

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, sure, but all you need to do to do that is to change the background of the picture from transparent to semi-opaque black.

RMRK Junior
Well, sure, but all you need to do to do that is to change the background of the picture from transparent to semi-opaque black.
Oh, I see, my fault, sorry :D Thanks for helping!

Ki~

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Glad it all worked out.

Thanks MA, too.

RMRK Junior
Well, there is a small problem :x
This error appears, when I want to use menu commands like skills or equipment.
Any idea how to fix this?

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Ah, yes. That should've been clear to me. It's very simple to fix up, I'll get to it tomorrow morning.

To clarify - does your game have only one playable character or more?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:27:30 PM by Baron von Pacman »

RMRK Junior
Okidoke :)

Well, I don't have a clue right now, there will be 4 characters, but I don't no if they will be party members...
Would it be hard to adjust it to 4?

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Well if there's more than one character in the party then the party window is going to have to appear whenever the commands "Skill", "Equip" or "Status" are selected. This will make the script more complex, but not necessarily hard.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
I made it good again.
Code: [Select]
module PAC
  Menu_Picture = "MenuBackground"
end

class Scene_Menu < Scene_MenuBase
  alias pac_picturemenu_start start
  def start(*args)
    pac_picturemenu_start(*args)
    create_pac_picture
  end
  alias pac_picturemenu_dispose dispose_background
  def dispose_background(*args)
    pac_picturemenu_dispose(*args)
    @background_sprite2.dispose
  end
  def create_status_window
    @status_window = Window_MenuStatus.new(@command_window.width, 0)
    @status_window.hide
    @status_window.close
  end
  def create_pac_picture
    @background_sprite2 = Sprite.new
    @background_sprite2.bitmap = Cache.picture(PAC::Menu_Picture)
  end
  alias pac_picturemenu_cmdpsnl command_personal
  def command_personal(*args)
    @status_window.show
    @status_window.open
    pac_picturemenu_cmdpsnl(*args)
  end
  alias pac_picturemenu_onpsnlcnl on_personal_cancel
  def on_personal_cancel(*args)
    pac_picturemenu_onpsnlcnl(*args)
    @status_window.close
  end
  alias pac_picturemenu_update update
  def update(*args)
    pac_picturemenu_update(*args)
    @status_window.hide if @status_window.close?
  end
end
Let me know if anything else goes wrong.