RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Transferring party control?

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
So I'm about ready to start the the meat of my Pokemon fangame (the TV world Ash and co.are watching), but how do I transfer player control over to the trio of heroes in the TV world?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
You enter the matrix and retrieve the three world stones then delete your system32.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:45:32 PM by Lord Stark »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
Okay, here's how this is set up:

I have my cold open scene
I have a parallel process event that allows the player to skip the cold opening if they wish
then I have a transfer event

I'm thinking one or more of those is causing the problem

Rep:
Level 39
N
2014 Zero to Hero
Could you clarify what you want to achieve? I don't think I quite understand what you mean by transferring party control.

Do you mean that characters will first be npc's and then you'll control them? In that case, you should just create events with the same sprites as your actors and then add those actors when you want to control them.

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
Okay--I have a cold opening before the title showing Ash and the gang gathering in the living room to watch their favorite TV show (and establishing to the player that they are controlling a TV show) If the player chooses to skip the cold opening and go directly to the title screen, they start in control of the three main TV show characters

Rep:
Level 39
N
2014 Zero to Hero
Okay--I have a cold opening before the title showing Ash and the gang gathering in the living room to watch their favorite TV show (and establishing to the player that they are controlling a TV show) If the player chooses to skip the cold opening and go directly to the title screen, they start in control of the three main TV show characters

Could you post some screenshots of the events?

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
Here's screenshots of the main event and the conditional event: https://picasaweb.google.com/110694322311184390964/Screenshots

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
noice screnshots m9

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 96
How do people not know how to do this?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
Okay--let me try this again....

Rep:
Level 39
N
2014 Zero to Hero
When you want to go into the TV screen you need to remove the actors who are watching TV from your party and add the pokemon characters to your party instead.

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
My question is, do you do this through the event controls or in the database?

Rep:
Level 39
N
2014 Zero to Hero
My question is, do you do this through the event controls or in the database?

Both.

1. Database: You create actors for both the characters in the TV Show and for the characters outside the TV.
2. Events: You use Change Party Member > add and remove to replace the party when you need to.

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
But let's suppose the player skipped the cold opening and wanted to start the game directly. How would that work?

Rep:
Level 96
Then you do the same thing. Branching paths.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
Hm...maybe if I put the player transfer in my parallel event....

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 39
N
2014 Zero to Hero

You could make a common event for switching to TV-party and one for switching to Real life-party. That way you don't have to copy-paste too much. If the party members are going to vary as the game progresses I'd rather just do as has been suggested already.

Rep:
Level 38
RMRK Junior
There's an idea! I'll try that.