RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do people here come up with game ideas?

Kitty
Rep:
Level 48
MOEW
I'm new to coming up with ideas and actually using them or making ideas work. Before me pushing to create things, I would come up with an idea and have to let it go because I had nothing to do with it.

How have people learned to stick with an idea and push it all the way to be finished?

I'm currently attempting to work on an endless runner in Game Maker: Studio. So no story, dialogue or anything aside from working (trying) on mechanics.

I have no experience with RPG maker or any idea how to make an RPG game story. I realize, at first, my games are probably going to be pretty bad, especially story wise. But I would like some advice on actually creating a complete story.

Thanks!

Rep:
Level 41
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
I typically think up a bunch of very basic ideas in Notepad to start with, then think of a type of morality scenario I'm interested in (a typical hero vs. villain escapade, anti-hero vs. anti-villain, hero-to-villain, etc.), then I take the idea and the morality scenario and expand upon the former.

There are really many ways to come up with an idea that suits your project, but I thought I'd put up my method.

Rep: +0/-0Level 38
Learn before you teach. Teach before you die.
The main reason I have given up on projects before is because I lost interest in them. That means, I was usually making a game that I've stopped liking or caring about. The best way to get around this is to look at games you've played before and thoroughly enjoyed. Why did you enjoy them? Maybe you can borrow some ideas and concepts from them, whether it be mechanics, plot, or characters, and then make them your own.

I've stuck with my current project for the past few years. I've taken things I really enjoyed from games such as Suikoden or Final Fantasy and I took out all the things I don't like, such as random encounters and grinding :)

It's really up to you. The bottom-line is, make a game you want to play; story, mechanics and all.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
For me, I normally pull ideas from history books. For mechanics, I look to similar games and see how they're put together. I've stuck with my current projects for a few years, and one is actually nearing completion!

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
How do we come up with Game Ideas? Well, first of all, you have to know why you started this road in the first place, for Ideas, you just use what inspired you to make a game to begin with, even if the idea is a carbon-copy of say any 'Final Fantasy' game or anything, there's you're idea, then you think what you want to add, what other things inspire you, history can help along with a mix of life own life experience can set you up for a decent story line. Mechanics, I'm not good or familiar with it, but if you're starting as I think, you should just go with the basic and 'grow up' from there, look at other people's projects, what have they done, get ideas, explore the possibilities and don't ask how, instead just do it, Great things have the smallest beginnings, So, aim high but don't put yourself with too much work, work with what you have, explore and learn and add it, do what you feel is right, because little by little, you're game will take the shape of that story you want to show us.

I hope that helps you.

Rep:
Level 68
Infinite imagination
Hi

I'm usually just waiting for some ideas to hit me. And they do so almost daily. I usually ponder thoughts around characters and gimmicks of the game. What would be the game play thing that's personal to my game. I believe that I'm able to put story together for the game, so I start with building my ideas from game play and character point of view.

Coming up with an idea is usually the easy part. Testing the idea by writing some simple version of Game Design Document is probably the thing to do. Then you can see if you like the idea enough to put some real effort to it. And everyone have sometimes the feeling of tiredness to an idea, but then one just must work over it. At least this is my opinion. Dr.Tony Manninen said it well once: game design is 1% of inspiration and 99% perspiration :)

BR Mittenrc~