RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Expanding Skill Descriptions

Rep:
Level 83
Project of the Month winner for March 2010
Hello, everyone.

I spent the last two hours looking for a way to do this, so please forgive me if I’m asking for something that has already been solved elsewhere: just be kind enough to redirect me to that Script.

What’s the problem?
As some of you may know, most abilities in my game are fairly complex: states to be added, stacked or removed upon casting. Variable damage and healing output depending on the user’s Mana pool (sometimes Spirit/other Stats), different Ranks for all abilities, cool-downs, HoTs and DoTs. The 1-line description provided by RPG Maker VX is never enough to give a comprehensive description of almost any ability. When discussing about these abilities on my site, it usually takes me a whole paragraph. Because descriptions can’t be thorough, they end up being brief and, in my opinion, sometimes useless.

Here’s an example:
Inner Light (I): Heals for 7.94 * 27% current Mana (One Ally +User). This is what the description currently says. However, this is what the ability actually does: it heals one ally for 7.94 * 27% current Mana. It has a 3-Turn CD, a 10% increased Critical Chance, and it has a 50% chance to apply Holy Aegis, a state which increases all healing received from this Class by 12% and grants a 4% physical and magic damage-reduction shield, lasting for 2 turns and stacking up to 3 times. The same ability will heal the user for 189% of the user’s Spirit, with no additional Mana cost.

What am I looking for?
What I have in mind is to replace that default 1-line description with a larger window, like in WoW (if you are familiar with it), and to be able to write a whole paragraph (with colours, if possible, but not necessarily). There are currently 370 abilities in my game, but I would be prepared to customise the Script, typing in the description for all those abilities. Also, it would be great if outputs could be calculated and shown automatically, storing the user’s stats somehow: so, for instance, if current Mana is 4,000, the description would show 8,575 (which is 7.94*1,080), and if Spirit=500, the description would show 945 instead (500*1.89).

Here’s what that ability may look like:
(The picture is just meant to give an idea of what I’d like to achieve. The description for Holy Aegis would not be needed in the same window: being a passive ability, it will be shown when selecting it instead, but players should know which abilities can trigger Holy Aegis, and which can’t).

I am very open to suggestions to make this work even without scripting: like making very concise descriptions, even if I really wouldn’t know how. Thank you in advance for considering this request and have a good day! :)
Current Project: