RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] The Creeping Huntress

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Author's Note: Looking back, this is probably one of my least favorites of my work. I was half-asleep when I wrote it, honestly. If you're looking for something better but also mystical and romantic, I think From the Woods captures that a bit better.

by Deanna Coulton
Theme: Death
Word Count: 500

The huntress stalked her prey: a man both alone and afraid. He was terrified of the strange noises that creaked and screamed from somewhere beyond the red trunks and violet leaves. In the horizon, there was black. Pure black – and nothing else to be seen.
   To make matters worse, he couldn't remember anything.

In watching him turn in frantic circles, she found a small pleasure and almost uttered a chuckle.
   Alas, had she made a sound, it might spoil her fun. Her heart knew a joy of this hunt more deep than the black abyss that might have been the sky of this world.
   Still, she could not lie to herself – the thrill of the chase had been defeated by the anticipation of capturing her prey.

After hours of running, the man found himself worn and aching. He made a bed of lavender leaves and rested for a minute or two, unbeknownst of the presence of the tireless vixen that watched him still.
   The feather-like grace of her landing upon the azure ground did not wake him. Instead, she would wait with the patience of a predator for him to regain of his own will.
   As expected, the sight of her sent him rushing with a pressuring chill.

“Run if you'd like,” her soft voice finally spoke, worn and rusted from staying silent and spared.
   He stopped at the sound of a human tongue, but gave no response and remained still as a petrified rodent in the eyes of a panther.
   “You'll find no solace in this world. Why not take a chance and take my hand?” She offered a delicate palm that was quickly chastised by long, thorn-like nails. He found no welcoming in this gesture, but the howls and groans of the hunched trees gave him no greater tranquility.
   He reached out his own trembling hand, extending his arm to the eyes of what may have been hell itself.
   Hesitation didn't exist for the claws that gripped his hand and brought him into the void he desperately feared. He was sure that he would become one of the creaking screams that tormented the next unlucky being.

“Open your eyes,” said a soft, familiar voice that was accompanied by a gentle stroke against his cheek.
   He obeyed, but his eyes would mist at the sight before him. Surrounded by a garishly proud light was a radiant and beautiful woman.
   Her smiling face echoed the memories of when their hands joined, a decade ago, at an alter.
   The mist in his eyes became forceful tears as his once shaken arms grew steady around the waist of the angel before him.

“We've made it together,” she whispered in his ear, “welcome to a world where you shall have no fear.”
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:22:06 AM by boe »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Their fault, you will learn more and involve the people if the denial. Aging is inevitable that growing demand. It is seen clearly as you can see, the only other
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 44
Storyteller
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
I love how poetic it all is. :3
And mystical, too!
The scenery I pictured looked like some enchanting forest out of WoW. ;]

You could sense his impending doom, but it turned out to be quite lovely in the end.
Short, but it was perfect with how soothing it was.

Aces! ^^

<o>_<o>
Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Artist2013 Best ArtistFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Gold - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
;o; tis beautiful!
Spoiler for Dr.Mc posted this before I could finish :mad: this is a super spoiler:
I love the switch from the River Styx to the Heavens!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:28:39 AM by Queen yuyubabe »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
I'm glad you liked it! :)

I know it was a little confusing, but here's basically what happened in the depths of this thing that I wrote (that may or may not be easy to see):

Spoiler for SUPER SPOILER. Go read the 500 words first pls B(:
He's essentially in the river styx - or the pathway of souls after dying. His wife has been dead for awhile already and is pursuing his spirit, in order to bring him to the upper world with her.

In the styx-like world, everything is dark, obscure, mistrustful, and confusing until she guides him to the light, basically.

I hope someone got it, so I don't feel like I made it way too confusing. ;_;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 41
I totally got it, don't worry about it.

Excellent wording as always, yu. The ending was so beautiful and such a brilliant contrast that I couldn't help but let my face light up, despite it ultimately fitting the theme as well.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Awwwww, shucks!

What can I say? I'm a random person. :B
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 41
Random is good.

It's fantastic.

It's...  :strike2: yeeaaahhh  :strike2:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I had a feeling that's what was going on.

I got it, and I liked the direction it was going. It does require thought; that's not always bad!

The descriptions were a bit off. I understood what you wanted to say, and I think the fatigue you were under while writing may have had something to do with it. To wit, some words were used incorrectly- such as when you describe the woman's hand as being chastised by her nails. Chastised by nails makes me think of someone being scratched.

The world you took me to, however, is captured well in your passage. The darkness and gloom of an otherwise lovely scene is a refreshing juxtaposition to my mind's eye!

All in all, I'd say that while not your best work, it is worth reading and could be improved upon with a few hours of sleep behind you.

You still get kudos!
:tinysmile:

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Darn it. ;_;

I was actually fully conscious of the use of "chastised", and I fully recognized the consequences of using the word in that way, but I tried it anyways. :p For some reason, I thought it would suit for making her hands appear less lovely because of them - like, they punished the beauty or something stupid like that I dunno. It failed. ;9

Siiiiigh. Back to soul searching for something that works! ;_;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
MEh, it's the tiredness. Sleep deprivation does bad things to a writer's brain... you just don't make the connections you ought, and see things that aren't there.

But it's not bad! It was still enjoyable.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I hope its sleep deprivation and not just my stories getting worse! :V My last one didn't do so hot, either. ;9

...confidence...melting...away...raaaaagh... must do something right. :mad:

Tomorrow for sure.

Tomorrow.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I enjoyed it, although it was a little bit unclear for me, I had to read the spoilers, and then reading it again it all made sense and oddly I enjoyed it more. Definitely not bad, and I can easily ignore the few grammatical mistakes :D you may want to consider re-reading it again once you've slept (which you should do soon silly).

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You're experimenting. Right now is your public author version of the awkward teen years. And you're tired! Tired brains have substandard ideas.

Yes, tomorrow will bring more energy, but don't force it; if it's not organic it's not time for that story yet.

Rep:
Level 44
Storyteller
Yeah, don't write until 6am... <.<

Spoiler for:
That's what I diiiiiiid~!
/crashes

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
place holder, reading later xD

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
I enjoyed it, although it was a little bit unclear for me, I had to read the spoilers, and then reading it again it all made sense and oddly I enjoyed it more.

Me too lol  And don't get discouraged, heck reading all of your works discourages me sometimes. You guys are awesome at this story telling thing o.o  Keep on keeping on miss! 

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
I read this for about three times before I really pieced all of it together, it's clear that the woman is death but the perspective threw me. One line describes her own feelings, and another his. I felt a switch between the two characters that was a little jarring, but it wasn't enough to deter the story. Very well written, and it shows that you're putting a lot more thought into your writing. Very nice read, short and succulent. ;)
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

<o>_<o>
Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Artist2013 Best ArtistFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Gold - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
Spoiler for SUPER SPOILER. Go read the 500 words first pls B(:
He's essentially in the river styx - or the pathway of souls after dying. His wife has been dead for awhile already and is pursuing his spirit, in order to bring him to the upper world with her.

In the styx-like world, everything is dark, obscure, mistrustful, and confusing until she guides him to the light, basically.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Awww, shucks! :) Mr. Sophist inspires me again! :ladyj:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
Well, aestheticism takes hold and although the woman was intended to be his wife/paramour etc, what is to say that an interpretation that the huntress is death, bringing him to his lost love, is wrong? ;o
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I have no problem leaving it up to different interpretations! B)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]