RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] Short Story Theme Challenge!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
The thread is cleaned up and now contains info about awards and rewards! It's still going to take a bit more planning as far as the numbers are concerned.

Short Story Theme Challenge!
Brought to you by Stark & yuyubabe!

The *new* plan

Basically, we're going to have a list of themes to write a short story about. If yer up to the task, you can enter the challenge and submit a writing for each theme! Of course, we'll be adding some themes to keep things fresh. So, you really don't have to write something for all of them. They're mostly there to help you get some general ideas of what to write!

*Another Major Edit* There is now officially a word count limit on your short stories! The limit will be 2,000 words MAX. Your story doesn't have to be exactly 2,000 words or less, but it needs to be around there, please. We're not too picky about it. ;)

*Major Edit* There are now awards for writing short stories and reviewing other people's writings! We are also planning to have Pokemon rewards set up! Right now, I'm still working on the numbers. But I will be keeping track of how many short stories and critiques you write! Note that the critiques don't have to be super long, just at least a bit helpful!

Themes

About the Themes:
Note that you don't have to write about a certain theme if you don't want to. But if you do, it's not picky at all. You can mix themes and be super loose with them. Some themes are going to be more specific, others are going to be stoopidly vague. It doesn't matter. Just channel your writing abilities!

**When you finish writing something, go ahead and post it in the Librarium! You may have to link to it in this thread, and include whatever theme you would most consider that Short Story to fall under.

Spoiler for The Current List of Themes:
1. Death
2. Love
3. Horror
4. Mystery
5. Sadness
6. Happiness
7. Dreams/Illusion
8. Fantasy
9. Limitations
10. Judgement
11. Isolation
12. Adventure
13. Revenge
14. Obsession
15. Insanity
16. Family
17. Power
18. Friendship
19. Decline
20. Greed

Audacious Authors:
*Post in this thread to be added to the list! Also include a pen name or your real name if we don't know it and if you want either of those to be added to the list. If you don't want your real name here, feel free to state not to include it. ;o

Spoiler for List of Authors:
*Username: Real Name, "Pen Name"

yuyubabe: Deanna Coulton, "Rosalyn Ashwood"
Spoiler for:
Total: 6
1. Death - The Creeping Huntress
2. Love - From the Woods
4. Mystery - A Good Man
9. Limitations - Air in the Storms
19. Decline - Nort's Hunt
20. Greed - Miser

Lord Stark: Jesse Stark,
Spoiler for:
Total: 3
17. Power - Empirical Entropy
18. Friendship - A Man of His Word (Part 1/3)
19. Decline - A Man of His Word (Part 2/3)

EvilM00s: Francois Pepin, Alexander Supertramp
Spoiler for:
Total: 2
1. Deafth! - Tripping the Darkness
3. Horror - No Gift So Dear

LadyJ: Jules Chappell, "LadyJ"
Spoiler for:

Flamemaster5: "B. Williford"
Spoiler for:

Sophist: "Sophist"
Spoiler for:
Total: 3
3. Horror - The Dark East
10. Judgement - The Golden Scales
12. Adventure - The Burning Sun

zacheatscrackers: Zachary Pietsch, "Zach P"

Queen Boob: Gracie
Spoiler for:
Total: 2
4. Mystery - Sunset
14. Obsession - Together Again

tswitch: Drew
Spoiler for:
Total: 0

Bluntsword: Ronald Long
Spoiler for:
Total: 1
12. Adventure - Grapple

Requim45: Cody
Spoiler for:

Abigailia
Spoiler for:
Total: 1
16. Family - The Salesman

Reviews & Critiques!

*To write a review or critique, simply post it in that story's thread!

It's always nice to help out the other writers by reading their stuff and writing even a small review or critique! Just about anything will work, even if it's just a little bit helpful! It would really help out your fellow writers!

*I AM keeping personal track of the numbers of both reviews or comments right now. If you reach a certain amount for an award or reward, I'll PM you and let you know! Right now, I'm giving points for reviews based on the following:

Spoiler for Criteria:
.5 Points = A simple post of encouragement or any other small comment
1 Point = At least one helpful comment
2 Points = A more detailed review or set of commentary about the story

Awards & Rewards

There is now officially going to be RMRK award badges and Pokemon rewards for participating in the challenge! We are currently deciding what will qualify for each badge or award, so these numbers may not be final.

Spoiler for Author Awards & Rewards:
Awards:
The author awards are generally distributed for writing a certain amount of qualifying short stories. Basically, as long as they aren't written entirely without effort and for the sake of awards.

Short Story Author: Bronze
5 Short Stories
Short Story Author: Silver
10 Short Stories
Short Story Author: Gold
20 Short Stories

Rewards
After writing a certain number of short stories, the author can choose a Pokemon that fits how many they have written.

3 Short Stories = Normal Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
6 Short Stories = Rare Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
10 Short Stories = Legendary Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
13 Short Stories = Normal Pokemon (Shiny)
16 Short Stories = Rare Pokemon (Shiny)
20 Short Stories = Legendary Pokemon (Shiny)

*Normal Pokemon: Encounter chance > 40%.
*Rare Pokemon: Encounter chance < or = 40%, but > 10%.
*Legendary Pokemon: Encounter chance < 10%.

Spoiler for Reviewer Awards & Rewards:
Awards:
The reviewer awards may be distributed either by what seems like a random occurrence, but may actually be me secretly taking note of how many times you review or offer at least some helpful criticism to someone's writing works. That, or it may become a public list of how many review/criticisms you've written. Still undecided.

Writing Reviewer: Bronze
10 Review Points
Writing Reviewer: Silver
30 Review Points
Writing Reviewer: Gold
60 Review Points

Rewards
After writing a certain number of reviews, the reviewer can choose a Pokemon that fits how many they have written.

5 Review Points = Normal Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
15 Review Points = Rare Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
25 Review Points = Legendary Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
35 Review Points = Normal Pokemon (Shiny)
45 Review Points = Rare Pokemon (Shiny)
55 Review Points = Legendary Pokemon (Shiny)

*Normal Pokemon: Encounter chance > 40%.
*Rare Pokemon: Encounter chance < or = 40%, but > 10%.
*Legendary Pokemon: Encounter chance < 10%.

The Original Idea

The original idea was to create a compilation of short stories that we might actually be able to publish someday, or a master list of stories, but I figured this would be better if it was open to more people. Maybe we'll go that direction again if this gets enough exposure. Who knows? I don't knows. This is mostly for reference purposes.

Spoiler for Original Idea:
The plan:
Basically, we'd like to gather folks who would like to contribute their epic writing abilities and create a compilation of short stories that we might actually be able to publish someday! If not, we're still going to have fun doing what we love! (Y'know...writing, and stuff.) And we can always keep our schtuff around the forums and on the interwebz and whatnot.

We're going to be open to major authors that contribute a lot of the works, but also smaller contributors that make a guest appearance in the collection!

Type of short stories:
We're currently discussing the details of what type of short stories we'd like to make. We could always either:
-Freestyle
-Have specific sections of the book dedicated to general genres or themes (i.e. Romance, Horror, Love, Death, Pizza)
-Have each short story be connected in some way

Funky stuff, you see. We're open to new ideas, too!

Determining what stories to add to the pile:
We'll also have to make a note of what short stories to keep, and what short stories to scrap from the pile. Not every one of them is going to be a winner, and that's likely going to cause a lot of heartache. Obviously, the main goal is to help each other out until that short story is awesome, though!

Crunching the numbers:
We're also going to be crunching some numbers at some point, depending on how many authors/contributors jump in the pile. After all, we're going to need to know about how many short stories we'd like!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:42:30 PM by irock »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Now, I ACTUALLY need to go and fulfill that Pizza genre. Mmmm!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I'm working on mine right now.  : o
I don't think anybody here has seen my writing. (Well, Yuyubabe has but she doesn't count. :V)

Edit: 

-Have specific sections of the book dedicated to general genres or themes (i.e. Romance, Horror, Love, Death, Pizza)

I think it would be better not to have that. Like we have the item/theme/character/message something go through all of them but they can all be different genres and styles.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:37:59 PM by Lord Stark »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
How can you start working on it when you don't even know what it will be yet :S 

I love the idea but I think you need to decide what types of stories you're looking to do before you get too far ahead. I mean if it's freestyle awesome. But if you are going for a certain theme (say horror) then some people might be less inclined to do it because they don't write as well to that genre.  Make sense?

I never know if I'm making sense or not lol

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I love the idea but I think you need to decide what types of stories you're looking to do before you get too far ahead. I mean if it's freestyle awesome. But if you are going for a certain theme (say horror) then some people might be less inclined to do it because they don't write as well to that genre.  Make sense?

Makes sense. B)

I'm all for freestyle writing, and then perhaps splitting up and organizing the stories afterwards. Or perhaps a generalized, simple genre to go off of. I'd prefer to not stick with a few genres, and either do many or just not use any themes at all. So, basically...free-style.
As far as organization to the compilation, it can always be by author, with a general section for extra contributors. Before each story, perhaps a brief description of its genre for the more picky readers.

Or!

Another idea might be to have a large list of themes and try to have each writer write something for each theme. Even if they aren't particularly fond of that theme (such as Romance or Horror), they could still do something of a mix-breed or skip that theme altogether. It's not really anything strict.

I'll admit that while it would be cool to see this thing go somewhere someday, that's not the main goal. I wouldn't even mind if this turned into a general list of master stories, or something of the like. ;) But mostly, it's just for fun!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:18:55 PM by Queen yuyubabe »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Very cool, very ambitious.

There may be a delay in the works if writers are assigned a particular genre, only because there is already the restriction that the stories all tie in. Also, we ought to discuss the overall direction the stories are going in.

Oh, and sign me up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm the Board moD! I'll sign myself up!
:tinysmile:

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was just about to post and say that I changed the thread up because I thought no one would want to commit to this, but you totally want to commit to this. ;_; You're awesome.

I still have the original post if you guys like that idea better. =o Will put it in spoilers. B) You guys let me know~
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Definitely save it up there for reference in case we gert a good turnout and a decent amount of material. You never know, we just might be able to pull it off. It would be very cool if that happened!

I do feel better about the way it is, because it potentially includes more participants.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Okay, so go with the new idea? ^_^ Works for me!

If we do get enough out there, we can take 'em and turn 'em into a compilation book! Who knows! B)

*edit* Feel free to suggest or suggest the removal of themes! Those are kinda random because I needed to get 10 up there to make it look snazzy.

I included one as a sample under mine~
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Is there a time limit to this?  Or is it just as we get an opportunity to write?

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Is there a time limit to this?  Or is it just as we get an opportunity to write?

No time limit at all! It's purely for fun and writing, and maybe even something greater in the future! ;8

*edit because I post too much*

If we add more themes, we'll just have more things to write about. ;) Nothin' saying we have to do 'em all! The more, the merrier!

In fact, if you write something that has to do with a theme that's not on the list, feel free to ask for it to be added! It might give others ideas, too!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:07:05 AM by Queen yuyubabe »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
well sign me up then. :) 

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Maaaaaaaaybe.

Honestly I may write something for my legends series that could go into this. :p

Thoughts?

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That could work! B)

Can add it to a theme that would fit it, or make a new theme that you think would better fit it!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Perhaps we ought to agree on a word count?

Say, 2,000?

And I'll do DEAFTH.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:19:19 AM by EvilM00s »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Perhaps we ought to agree on a word count?

Say, 2,000?

Honestly...I don't usually think about the word count. o.o That's probably why most of my stuff either comes out too short or too long. ;_;

I think I actually write better when I write shorter short stories. o.o Gotta grab that big rush of emotions before they get away. ;9 I swear I'm ADD.

*runs to go and make sure "Air in the Storms" in 2,000+ words*
...Not even close. ;_;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
My faux pas, I should have said 2000 word limit, not requirement!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
...OHHHHH!!! Right!

I wouldn't be opposed to that! I like my stories short!

B) I'll make a poll, though~
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:17:42 AM by Queen yuyubabe »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I thought of 5 more themes:

11. Isolation
12. Adventure
13. Revenge
14. Obsession
15. Insanity

Like? Dislike? Change some? Keep some? Add some?

(feel free to comment on the ones I already have up there, too!)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I suppose it all depends on how we look at it.

If this is a show of creativity, then suggested themes is the way to go, I'd say.

If this is a way to stimulate writing, then yes assign some :moar: ideas!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm always up for :moar: ideas! B)

If you guys come across any, I'd be happy to add 'em! We should probably post theme requests and see if others agree with them before adding them, though. o.o Otherwise, the list might get a little long. ;9 But other than that, I wouldn't mind seeing a long list. B)
Should I organize them in a specific way - such as alphabetical? Or leave them numbered as we get em? B)

Also: Award badges for completing a certain number of themed short stories? =O
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 44
Storyteller
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
I suppose it all depends on how we look at it.

If this is a show of creativity, then suggested themes is the way to go, I'd say.

You called Yuyu?
Your FB message was completely compelling, especially just after I massively updated my forum and stirred some serious creative juices up that leave me, lately, dry on sleep!
I even have to be up early for my cousin Hailee's wedding shower and should be asleep, but after reading that message, HOW CAN I? So, here I am! ^^

Sign. Me. Up.
Short Story. Long Story. One theme. Any theme. ALL themes.
I like a challenge. And I'm ready.
Most of all this just seems TOTALLY fun, and totally unique. Never seen an idea like this before in my life, and I may try to persuade you to help me create a similar experience on my own forum to get my old RP buddies going and lure new people back to my world.
It's a scary world, but yanno. ;]

So, I'm down.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
BBBBBBREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :gracie: :gracie:

Gurl, it's been forever! I'm glad you got my message! B)

Also, I'd be glad to help start something like this on your forum! ^_^

For any short stories you write, feel free to make a thread for them here: http://rmrk.net/index.php/board,80.0.html

Good to have you back!!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Here's a rough example of how I think the stories could link together.

In somebody's story (yuyubabe lol), it ends with the main character jumping off a building. (Spoilers lol :X )
In another story, the author has a police officer tell them "sumbody jumped, they're closing down main street." This leads to the characters taking a detour and the start of the story.

In short, I think it would be cool to have a "butterfly effect" going on. The stories don't have to share themes, characters, or even worlds.

Another example could even be ~

Bluntswag writes a fastasy story, in this story a character is told if he does "x" the power will radiate across all of existence.
In another story, we have a character that has to choose if they should kill somebody, and "like a whisper from a higher power, the answer became clear."

Possible titles for the project -
 Butterfly in the storm
 Butterfly in the gale
 Torn wings
 I liek butts
 Lepidopterist

idk im just talking out my bum rite noaw lol im sorry disregard me and dnt shot me ;;;____;;;;
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:30:11 AM by Lord Stark »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(He almost spoiled the ending of my newest short story :V)

Anyways, I kinda like the idea of adding Easter eggs in some of the Short Stories to link them together, but maybe not all of them, you know wot I mean? It might limit some people (especially if they want to change up their story later), but others might like to have something to help them conjure up an idea!

So, I think we should do that optionally if people feel like pairing a couple of their stories. I may spin a few heads. :p
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]