RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] Short Story Theme Challenge!

Rep:
Level 44
Storyteller
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
Hell, I wouldn't be able to NOT have my stories connect. That's like my life, my way of writing, everything touches.
It's like The Avengers from Marvel, only I'm better at it. ;]

#shieldsselffromangryMarvelfans
I'M SORRY! XD

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Haha, you're really worked up about this, huh? ^_^ I'm glad!!

He originally intended for some of the other writers to link to each other's stories, but that works, too! B) I didn't even really think about that! :ladyj:

And with that: I bring upon a story by the theme of love (I think?)! Here it is: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,48886.0.html

Hopefully it can live up to the pride that the last one brought me.
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Best CounselBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
http://100themeschallenge.deviantart.com/journal/Variation-1-225271824

also I spent ALL afternoon on those horrible badges yesterday ;9 So I have a ton of housework and errands to catch up on today.  I'll start writing tomorrow :) 

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Thanks for sharing, Jules! :ladyj: I'll have to take a look when I get back from work tonight! (I'll be back probably around 9pm or sooner)

And I'm starting to like the idea of a word count more and more. o.o I'm okay with either way still, but the Librarium often gets very few readers as it is and I feel like people are more likely to drop by and read something if it's something quick that won't take them half an hour to get through, haha. Even if we don't end up settling for a word count, I would urge people to use some limit for that reason. :drsword: Just a personal theory that I could be entirely wrong about.

Also, It does add on to the challenge of making your words really count! That was a big thing that I learned in my Short Story class last semester. But I guess that's easy for me to say because I end up writing things that are under 1,000 words. Otherwise, I'll get bored or run out of steam. ;9
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
So far, the general favor seems to be for a 2,000 max word limit. o.o (But just barely)

Looking forward to seeing who submits something next! ;o You guys are killing me in anticipation. :mad:

*edit* Added 5 themes!
16. Family
17. Power
18. Friendship
19. Decline
20. Greed

Let me know if you guys don't like certain themes, or would like some added!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:17:20 AM by Queen yuyubabe »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I am super srs about this whole thing. We now officially have RMRK awards for Short Story Writers (and reviewers)!!

The awards are going to be split between writers and reviewers (yes, I just said that :mad:). That way, people can get credit for both critiquing AND writing! And hopefully people will be encouraged to read each other's stuff (it is short stories, after all!).

The writers side is pretty simple. Basically, you write a certain amount of short stories and get a badge. I don't want to judge based on quality, but if you write something obviously waaaaay short and with no effort and just for the sake of awards (who does that?), then it may not be counted. But I doubt any of you would do that. :mad:

The review awards are mostly for the purpose of rewarding those that help out a lot by reading other people's stuff a lot and giving them good, constructive criticism. It will be a lot less cut-and-dry as the writer's awards, and will be awarded based on what might seem like randomness, but will probably be me secretly keeping track of how helpful you guys are. :) It will help out a ton if you guys would let me know when someone's been really helpful in critiquing your work!

So far, I'm sticking with the basics: Bronze, Silver, and Gold.

There's also going to be Pokemon awards, but I still haven't figured out the numbers for that, either. :-[ So, I'd call upon ye to lend me thy opinions! If not, I'll come up with some random numbers that sound about right. B)

Spoiler for Here's what I've got for the award looks:

*Note that I left the reviewers open to anything writing-related. That way, perhaps people can still be rewarded outside of just the Short Story genre.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:48:18 AM by Queen yuyubabe »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm posting too many times in a row. ;_; I know, I'm a bad person. Actually, I'll go ahead and blame the updates. Silly updates.

Okay, I'm over it. It seems brother Stark has released his first Short Story on the forums (I think)! Let's hear it for Mr. Stark!! You can check it out here!

Also, the thread just got way more organized! I'm still thinking on all the award stuff and the qualifications and whatnot, but right now I need sleep. Will think more tomorrow. Feel free to post yer opinions on the matter!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
I will go ahead and join, but my pen name will just be sophist anyway;

However I advise against making too many themes. People are having to write these out and although they are meant to be short, I don't think anyone wants to nail out 100 different themes. Maybe add more if everyone completes the list that's given of like, 20? But if you just toss in as many as you can think of, it's pretty daunting even to people who write often, as a chore rather than an enjoyable experience.

Just my two cents though.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Best CounselBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Wait..are we supposed to write one for each of these? I actually don't mind that but if that is the case then we should keep it simple

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Wait..are we supposed to write one for each of these? I actually don't mind that but if that is the case then we should keep it simple

Nah, the ones we have there are mostly just to help channel ideas. o.o But I was honestly thinking about just leaving it at 20 for now. And now that I read what Sophist has to say, I'm even more convinced.

I will go ahead and join, but my pen name will just be sophist anyway;

However I advise against making too many themes. People are having to write these out and although they are meant to be short, I don't think anyone wants to nail out 100 different themes. Maybe add more if everyone completes the list that's given of like, 20? But if you just toss in as many as you can think of, it's pretty daunting even to people who write often, as a chore rather than an enjoyable experience.

I like your 2 cents, sir. B)

Originally, since awards are going to be thrown in the mix, I thought it would help to have more variety. But now I'm inclined to agree with you. The awards could be paced with how many themes we have now, and there's nothing wrong with adding more awards and themes if we start to run out (which won't happen for a looong time). B) Right now, 20 themes seems like a fair number. I thank ye for the input!

As for the Awards and Rewards, here's a rough sketch of some numbers I've come up with:

Spoiler for Ideas for awards and stuff:
Author Awards:

5 Short Stories = Bronze Status
10 Short Stories = Silver Status
20 Short Stories = Gold Status

(I'm not sure on the Gold Status one yet. I was thinking 15 would also be a fair number.)

Author Rewards:
*Normal Pokemon: Encounter chance > 40%.
*Rare Pokemon: Encounter chance < or = 40%, but > 10%.
*Legendary Pokemon: Encounter chance < 10%.

3 Short Stories = Normal Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
6 Short Stories = Rare Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
10 Short Stories = Legendary Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
13 Short Stories = Normal Pokemon (Shiny)
16 Short Stories = Rare Pokemon (Shiny)
20 Short Stories = Legendary Pokemon (Shiny)

Reviewer Awards:
As for the review/critiques, I was thinking the numbers should at least be double (if we decide to go with numbers and be technical):

10 Reviews = Bronze Status
20 Reviews = Silver Status
40 Reviews = Gold Status

Reviewer Rewards:
*Normal Pokemon: Encounter chance > 40%.
*Rare Pokemon: Encounter chance < or = 40%, but > 10%.
*Legendary Pokemon: Encounter chance < 10%.

6 Reviews = Normal Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
12 Reviews = Rare Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
20 Reviews = Legendary Pokemon (Non-Shiny)
26 Reviews = Normal Pokemon (Shiny)
32 Reviews = Rare Pokemon (Shiny)
40 Reviews = Legendary Pokemon (Shiny)

I've never been good with numbers, but you get the general idea. :V
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:48:58 PM by Queen yuyubabe »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Another post because I'm a butt head:

As far as reviewing goes, I was thinking about splitting up the points between small posts of encouragement and actual reviews. I still think people deserve at least something for reading your stuff and posting an opinion like "Wow! Neat ending! I love you forever!" or something.

Maybe .5 points for encouragement posts, and 1 point for actual reviews?

I was worried that things with the reviews would get too technical, but since the Librarium is a fairly inactive anyways, I don't think the burden will be too heavy on me. B)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Three cheers for our newest addition by ms. baroness jules!

We now present an epic, twisted tale about obsession and stalkers! You can check out Unrequited here!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 41
well lookit here

I've been a story-writer since grade school, and I've done numerous short stories for assignments and a couple for a newspaper, and I'm currently part of a writing staff in a separate community, so I'd definitely like to get in on this. I'm planning on publishing a novel at some point in my life (I came up with half a rough draft for it my junior year, but it's lost in obscurity now  :-\), so this would also be great practice.

As for info and whatnot:

zacheatscrackers: Zachary Pietsch, "Zach P"

The themes I'd like to do are Isolation, Insanity, Decline and Love. I'll probably do three or four stories.

A question, however; is it fine if I do these stories within a continuing plot? That is, if I do one story and I want my others to continue on from where that story left off; would that be alright? If you'd rather me keep them separated, that's fine, but I'm just wondering.

Rep:
Level 44
Storyteller
That's a very good question, as I can't keep anything actually short and would easily be able to continue themes with characters currently in progress.

I did manage to post a scene for Revenge, but it equally falls in the Love category, too.
But Revenge was definitely the mark I went for. ^^

Oddly enough, the two characters I used go through SO MANY themes, it's crazy. XD

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't mind if you guys make them continue as a story progress, as long as they are split up between separate themes. I'm not super picky about this - it's mostly for fun. ^_^

But right now, most people voted for a word limit of 2,000. So, I'm probably going to go ahead and close the poll. It doesn't have to be exactly 2,000, just around there. ;]

I'll be catching up on the new short stories today and adding them to the list!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 41
Alrighty, thanks for letting me know!

I'll start sometime tonight, probably; gotta do a few more things.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I saw that you already posted some really helpful feedback on some of these! ^_^ Glad to have you in the group!!

I think I'm all caught up now! ^_^ Wow, we've got some damn good writers here!!

Also, keep in mind that I am secretly keeping track of the things you guys post on each other's stuff. I want you guys to get credit for being encouraging and constructive to each other's work. ;_;

I'm probably going to keep the prizes at the numbers they are at right now. ;) Some of you are already close to earning a Normal Pokemon for reviews. O.O
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Another addition by Sophist earlier on: The Golden Scales! (I promise I'll read this one soon! ;_; )

And now, a very heartfelt piece by LadyJ: Mama

Oh, and I wrote one, too: Miser
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Methinks I should have made the review awards/rewards a little more challenging to acquire.

Oh, well! It looks like our first Reviewer award has just been issued to Mr. EvilM00s!

I'm actually doing this by a number system, and he pretty much sprinted to the top with all the detailed feedback. Whoa. o.o

There's also already couple Pokemon awards that I need to send messages for! lol You guys are keepin' me busy!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 44
Storyteller
We're certainly trying to! ;]

I'll try and help a little since I'm here by linking my two short scenes:

"Your Eyes Gave It Away" and "You Threatened Her..."

One is themed Power, the other Revenge.
Gotta love this! ^^

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Totally putting this on everything of mine that M00s approves lol xD

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
I am enjoying everyone's stories so far. I'll be reading everyone's eventually, and have gotten through a few already. I encourage everyone to write and post more, it is quite well received it seems!

Write from your soul and your mind together, it is good to see this board flourish.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Psssssssst! :M00sApproved:

:M00sApproved:

(I accidentally made it a post form but I'm trying to fix that now lol but for some reason its being a pain in the butt)

I'm glad you're liking what you see, Sophist! ^_^

On that note...I actually did finish a new one just now, The Creeping Huntress. I took another direction again (at least I felt like I did something different). I hope it works out. ;_;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I am not a very good writer, but I'll be taking part too.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
That is so awesome I don't even know what to say!

:M00sApproved:

Yes, Gracie, please share your writing with us! I can't wait to see what lurks in your mind... *evil laugh as screen darkens*

This idea was one of the best to hit the Librarium in... ever. Major props to yuyubabe for bringing this to us; I like this a ton.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:13:13 AM by EvilM00s »
:tinysmile: