RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] The Elves of Talgel discussion thread

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Oh no! Where have the elves gone?

Fear not.

I have made a thread for just the story to appear. Feel free to use this thread as a feedback, discussion, and critique thread.

This thread will be where the story will continue.

Until then.

:blizj:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:17:36 AM by boe »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
"Two Star", my butt. :mad: So far, I think it deserves more than that, my friend!

As for the intro to the short story: it's lookin' good so far! There are a small bit of pesky grammar errors that mostly look like missing commas. Granted, that could just be me. I tend to use a lot of commas when writing.

Anyways, I like the way the characters and races are depicted. It's a bit cliche for elves and dwarves, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, wouldn't it just get confusing if they were the opposite of what people are used to? The character dialogue is written well, which is always a huge plus!

I also respect the way Holve and Roland are contrasted (sometimes that carries over to the book, too). Using details, such as Holve's dislike for travel by ship, is always really neat! It brings the characters to life, you know?
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:33:23 PM by Ser bluntsword »

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Good job bluntsword!   

Be careful of the commas. And also this tripped me up:
By stark contrast, Ealrin Belouve felt ready to lose what was left of his lunch. For a man who was supposedly a sailor, he certainly felt like anything but. Ealrin thought back to the last few weeks of his life. He had been found nearly dead among the wreckage of a ship on the shores of the island of Good Harbor. After a few weeks of recovery in the only inn on the island, The Rusty Hook, Ealrin had recovered most of his health and all of his passion to find a purpose. The only thing Ealrin had not recovered was his memory.

Perhaps it was because when he was with Holve he felt like he had purpose. He had followed him aboard this ship with another companion, Roland, in an effort to rendezvous with the king of Thoran and inform about the goings on the other countries and people of the continent of Ruyn.

Is Ealrin informing the King on the goings on with the other countries and people of the continent? I assume so because why would a King meet people to let them know what is going on.. they would have to go to him. And if so how can a man who can't remember anything inform the king about anything?  :S 

Maybe this is all answered in the book.  If so then I'm rambling for nothing. If not then I am totally confused. Actually either way, I am totally confused lol

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Good catch Jules. Holve works for king Thoran and Ealrin is along for the ride. I'll correct that! Thanks!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Duh-duh-double post!

Fixed the bit about Ealrin having no clue what's going on and reporting to the king.

Thanks Jules!

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
No problem, sometimes it is just me being obtuse lol I catch myself having more and more "senior" moments.  I'm glad you understood what I was saying, and I reread it. Awesome! 

One other small thing I saw was this paragraph:
He was beginning to find out that living without any idea of who he used to be allowed him to experience the world in a new way each and every day. His mind was full of questions and each new day seemed to be filled with possibilities. There were times that he wished he could recall if he had a family or friends or even someone who loved him more than that. Yet with each new dawn he was discovering new things.

"New" is in there 4 times. And maybe this just jumps out to me because it is a pet peeve of mine? I dunno, it just seems like a lot. But I honestly don't know how to fix it lol  Perhaps something like: ... allowed him to experience the world anew each day. His mind was full of questions and the world seemed full of possibilities.

I dunno, maybe I'm being to persnickity lol  Either way, I'm a fan *_*

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
You aren't persnickity, though I love that word.

And I'm glad you're a fan!

The new paragraph reads:
He was beginning to find out that living without any idea of who he used to be allowed him to experience the world anew each and every day. His mind was full of questions and each time the twin suns of Gilia would rise it seemed to Ealrin that there were wonderful possibilities. Though he at times wished he could recall if he had a family or friends or even someone who loved him more than that, with each dawn he was discovering things he hadn't known the previous one.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Along the same vein, there are a few places where words are repeated. I do this a lot myself in first drafts, and it makes me cringe. It just seems bijou, where we try to be pro. Know what I mean?

Every time I do it I flagellate myself with vigour for an hour per repeated word. I find it keeps me from repeating the mistake. Oh, no... *grabs the scourge*

Other than that, you had me captured!
:tinysmile:

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Doh. I'll keep looking at it.

This is very first draft and I appreciate you guys catching these things!

*flogs himself*

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I dunno who said it, but the best piece of advice I ever heard: "Never fall in love with your first draft."

For a first draft, it's stellar, dude!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Thanks Frank!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Ridiculously tired but I told myself I would write.

Added the first part of Chapter Two.

Enjoy! :blizj:

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I LIKE THIS CHAPTER!

I was really caught up in it. You did a great job!  The only thing I saw in the entire chapter was:
Spoiler for Chapter Two: An Old Alliance:
Exhaustion wore on there faces as arrows were loosed from bows and blades wet with the blood of trolls cut through the hordes that sought to overcome the elven city.
their* 

Really excited for chapter 3 ^_^

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Thanks Jules! And good catch!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Ok, adding some more to Chapter Two. Not that exciting, but progress.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I absolutely LOVE your invented elven words. Beautiful work, Ron!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Thanks Frank!

I finally got Chapter 2 finished. Let me know if you see anything that needs fixing!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Just finished Chapter 3. Let me know what you think of the set up of the story so far!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Update: Chapter Four.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Cause, you know...

I would.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Sorry, been busy this week, so I'm catching up on my reading now.

Spoiler for Spoilers here :o  The Good :) :

Let me start off by saying I am not that great at grammar. As my stories show xD  So when I review, I review on how well I understand what is going on, the flow of the story, and how well I can immerse myself in it. And on those points, you did fabulous. I could feel Aldor's reluctant resignation to the war, his desire to have a normal life back ;_;  Poor thing. The details you add to your story are perfect and paint the picture well.  Chapter four had me zooming through it just to see what happened.
Spoiler for don't read this if you haven't read Chapter 3:
Though he was an enemy of the elves, I really wanted Snarlgut to win :( 

Spoiler for The nitpicky:
These are things that I picked up on while reading.
Chapter 2
“Aldor,” Eled said as he placed an hand on his shoulder, “No war last forever.”

Wars? Or maybe no war lasts forever?  Something just isn't clicking with that lol

Though Aldor longed to return to his home and embrace his wife, Imroden, whom he at the window busy preparing a meal he knew that she nor he would eat, they marched on.

Whom he saw*

His wife was always considered the needs of others greater than her own.

Drop the was, His wife always*

Even when they passed Aldor's house, with his wife and parents inside it, they did not stop.
.. then a paragraph or so later:
The military had been the closest thing he had known to a family since his own parents had passed away.

Huh? 0o

Yet seeing so many where the colors of the army now reminded him of the difficult times they lived in.

wear*

He wondered if the fighting would ever get bad enough to, of necessity, use the young ones in battle <--- add those commas

To join the military, one must be fifty elven years and have completed the training in the military tower.

Drop one of the the's?  .. completed training in the military tower.

The selection of the elders was a mysterious and secret tradition of the elves

I think this sentence could do without “of the elves”  We know they're elves by this point. So just …mysterious and secret tradition.

“I've just been discussing with the future of Talgel.”
Is that with supposed to be there? 

Her eyes, that Aldor thought could look into his very being, were as blue as the bluest summer sky. <--- add those commas

Aldor was both impressed that she had been able to remember such a small encounter all those years ago, and embarrassed that he had been seen that night.<--- add a comma

Chapter 3
It was what had happened earlier that day, the army Snarlgut led down to the southern peninsula to raid the elven cities retreated back to the northern mountains and woods where they had lived for generations. <--- add a comma
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:01:05 PM by Baroness Jules »

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
I have a thing with characters people tend to root for
Spoiler for if you don't want a minor spoiler.:
and killing them.

I really appreciate the nitpicky. I can edit my own stuff, but only to a point. Thanks for the edits!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I have a thing with characters people tend to root for
Spoiler for if you don't want a minor spoiler.:
and killing them.

Yeah, no kidding. I liked that troll...  :mad:

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
*is still crying over what you did in wayward* ;_;
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]