RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Resolved~] Help me find a new power supply? ;o;

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Okay, so long story short, I had to turn off my PC due to a storm threatening our power, but I had a nasty surprise this morning when I found I couldn't get it turned back on properly. This isn't the first time this has happened, but its definitely worse than last time. The problem lies in the PSU (and the fact that I never turn my computer off... ever), and even if I get lucky in jumpstarting the machine like last time, I'm going to have to get a new one.

I'm using an H305P-02 for a Dell Optiplex 960 (it was all I could afford), but I need to see about finding a replacement. Another of the same model isn't too bad cost-wise, about $40-$55, but I'm dead poor right now and need to save pennies for an upcoming issue with our apartment. So what I want to ask any of you tech experts out there is if there is a cheaper alternative that I can use that would work with my computer instead. I admit I really don't know too much about this sort of hardware, other than that I need something that works. x.x;;
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:26:02 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338010

Should fit within any mid sized tower, but it isn't too high powered. You really can't get cheaper than that. ;[

It's adviseable to get a better PSU as soon as you can, because cheap ones are very unreliable over a long span of time, and put out little power. If your CPU/GPU voltage together is over 300W, then you'll have to get something higher up.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:01:05 PM by Sophist »
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Zylos' boyfriend. <3
Rep:
Level 84
I am wolf, hear me howl.
Hey there, Zeich popping on for Zylos because my laptop works and his computer is sorta kaput for the moment. So we've talked and I'm lending a little extra to help cover a bigger one to get a long-term fix rather than a patch-up, and we're looking around for a reasonable price. We have found one we're not 100% sure on simply because neither of us is horribly tech-savvy, so we wanted to confirm that the item we've found is a solid replacement, and a reasonable quality one. The power supply can be found here on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/480W-for-Dell-Power-Supply-L305N-00-H305P-02-H305E-00-N305P-05-L305P-01-L305-03-/330922111122?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item4d0c7eb092

If someone with a bit more technical know-how can confirm this is a good fix for the problem we're having, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
480w? Well, thats enough power, sure. I run a 450 and I've never had issues... and I regularly charge ALL of my USB devices from it.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
It was my understanding that power supplies are actually pretty easy to get a handle on, yeah? Like, most power supplies come in basically three tiers. Small/peasant, adequate, and fucking NASA. You don't need NASA power unless you're triple SLI'ing video cards, and if you're doing that, you don't need to be on this forum asking for help. Am I about right?

I mean, if you're building your own computer, you kind of generally aim for the midrange, and that'll do ya, right? It's not a huge issue, right?

....if I got a new video card would I seriously need to re-consider the size of my power supply's junk?

This is a learning experience, and I'm a bit tipsy. Bear with me.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
two questions,
1. what sort of connectors does the motherboard have (how many pins on the main power connector and are there any other 4 or 8 pin connectors on the motherboard near the cpu?) do you have any kind of graphics card that would require a 6 pin PCIe Power connector?

2. is your current power supply a  standard size atx power supply?

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
Any power supply that will fit in your case will work, Zylos and Zeich, you do not need to just get a replacement part of the exact same one you had. I'd honestly advise against it because it obviously didn't have any surge safeguard anyway. Please consider getting something better if you're going to spend the money, pre-built PC's do not need the same exact parts that were once in them, a power supply is a power supply, they won't be a Dell-only or etc.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
there are considerations to be made as far as what sort of connectors it needs to have but basically what anski said. get a decent psu and it won't die again.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Got no idea if they still do it, but dell/HP have had a nasty habit of using non-standard PSUs for their prebuilt stuff.
bringing sexy back

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
yeah, roph i think the newer ones should just use standard atx psu's, pictures or a model number of your computer would be useful regardless. (it is an optiplex 960 mini-tower right?)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:17:30 PM by Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 98
The Thermaltake I linked is a corded system, and there are about four or five different plugs that I don't even have in my PC, just laying there. It has everything a PC could possibly even use in regards to power supplying, the linked replacement part is the same cord system as well.

Rep:
Level 98
It was my understanding that power supplies are actually pretty easy to get a handle on, yeah? Like, most power supplies come in basically three tiers. Small/peasant, adequate, and fucking NASA. You don't need NASA power unless you're triple SLI'ing video cards, and if you're doing that, you don't need to be on this forum asking for help. Am I about right?

I mean, if you're building your own computer, you kind of generally aim for the midrange, and that'll do ya, right? It's not a huge issue, right?

....if I got a new video card would I seriously need to re-consider the size of my power supply's junk?

This is a learning experience, and I'm a bit tipsy. Bear with me.

and since nobody answered drunk arlen:

yes, the power wattage of your system cannot be greater than the wattage your power supply unit puts out. If you have a system that is 550W on your 600W PSU, and you get a new graphics card that is 100W greater than your previous, you'll need a new PSU to handle the overflow voltage. Typically whichever one you get is not an issue, but you get what you pay for with PSU. A very cheap one is incredibly unreliable, and an unreliable PSU is a danger to the entire system.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
basically arlen, the main thing you would have to check is if it's going to have enough juice and if the new graphics card needs additional power you have to check and make sure your power supply has the necessary connector to power the expansion card. (usually a 6 pin PCIe Power Connector (you can probably pick up a Molex to 6 Pin converter if you have enough wattage but don't have the extra PCIe connector.  ))

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Okay, so! I ordered the first part that Sophist linked to and just had it come in. Beginning to worry though because there are fewer cables on it than the original piece and the ends don't seem to match. Thought it'd be a simple in-out kinda job, but its either a little trickier than it looks or else its incompatible. =/

Edit: Borrowing Zeich's laptop for a moment to do some quick research into it that I couldn't on the PS3/3DS I was using to access the internet, and right off the bat I'm noticing that the new one lacks the SATA connectors and has seemingly completely different connectors that the original had. Not really sure what to do at this point, unless I can somehow still connect it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:08:14 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 98
Which parts are not being plugged into from the PSU?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Unless I'm a complete dumbass (which is totally possible with my luck lately), practically NONE of it is able to be plugged in. <.<

This is the original one:

Dell Model:H305P-02 Optiplex 960 760 PW114 WU133 305W Power Supply
Dell Optiplex 960 760 PW114 CY827 WU133 Replacement 305W Power Supply

Dell Model:H305P-02

P/N:HP-D3051A0

DP/N 0CY827

Dimension: 5.5 x 5.8 x 3.8 Inches (L x W x H)

Connectors:
1x 24pin ATX P1 connector
1x 4pin P2 connector
4x SATA connector
1x FDD P7 connector

S'far as I can tell, the new one lacks all of those connectors. I can take pictures if needed, just to make sure, but I've a feeling it just isn't going to work for me.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Er. Yeah, from the PSU sophist linked, it has no SATA connectors and I can't even see the 24 pin ATX connector =s

Here's one that's actually in this decade for $24: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159062

Alternate, $25: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170017&ignorebbr=1

Never heard of either brand. Here's a Seasonic one that will probably outlive you for $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151077&ignorebbr=1
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:34:14 AM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
see that is the exact info i was asking for before. I'm assuming you purchased the very first one anski linked. that is an AT form factor PSU for super old shit like early 90's IBM's, anything from within the last 10 years basically is ATX form factor. he fucked up. I only looked at the link later and that was after you stopped responding.

You're going to have to RMA that psu because unless you have a 1990 era IBM it's useless.

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
...I have two PSU's like those just laying around.. I kinda wish I knew for certain if they worked, because honestly, I think you just paying for shipping is probably preferable...   I'll go ahead and check those to see if they work over the next couple hours and get back to you on this...
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Zeich told me to sit and wait for Phoenix Fire to check her spare PSU in case I can get a freebie, but it doesn't sound too bad for the prices Roph suggested either. Should have waited and listened to Strike before rush ordering the first time. x.x

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
Unfortunately I can't find the damn box they're in, in the basement, and we're not planning on cleaning the garage out for another month or two.. I don't think you guys want to wait that long though lolz...
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 98
See, I thought you weren't going to get that first one considering you were looking for a long term fix.  I apologize for not looking at it carefully but since you said you weren't going for it, I didn't check it once over before you bought it, which is my mistake. I had assumed that you bought the Thermaltake I had linked later on. :\

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Zylos, pick out one of the ones Roph suggsted and PM me your adress. I'll have it shipped to you.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
No, that's okay M00s. It's difficult to do much "research" on this game console, and I didn't even realize that there WAS a second hyperlink until after the fact since this thing displays it like regular text. Will have to wait until I can borrow Zeich's laptop again to take a closer look at Roph's suggestions and any other possibilities, but this time have to simply not rush, take my time to see what will work best for me.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Okay, but the offer stands.

Rep:
Level 102
* Roph pokes Zylos

Comrades don't leave comrades behind :mad:

:julesdisapproved:
bringing sexy back

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Checked the first two options that Roph suggested, but those won't work for me. One has lots of people complaining about an overly loud fan and the other lacks the right number of connectors I need. Can anyone check the third one for $40ish to see if it has all the connectors and if it has good reviews or whatnot? Again, internet is very limited and difficult to work without a computer to work with. x.x

Rep:
Level 102
lacks the right number of connectors I need

Uh.

Connectors:
1x 24pin ATX P1 connector
1x 4pin P2 connector
4x SATA connector
1x FDD P7 connector

Are you sure? This is not a hard list to beat, and all three I linked do so. Unless you mean you actually need that floppy drive power connector? In which case a molex to FDD passthrough cable can typically be had for a dollar or less.

Nowadays many newer boards (and thus PSUs provide) an 8 pin dedicated CPU power connector instead of 4 pin, but these connectors (called EPS) are typically split (or can be with a cheapo cable) to remain compatible with old 4 pin sockets.

p.s. You're still ordered to accept M00s' help :mad:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:02:38 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Er, the first linked one's specs says that it has only two SATA connectors, when my current one has four that are all in use. Floppy I could care less about save appeasing OCD.

Of course, I might be just a total dumbass who's not understanding what's needed though, so I could still give it a shot if you're confident it'll work. Just a little paranoid over not getting it to work right after my first mistake .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:26:58 PM by Zylos »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
second one and the seasonic both have 4 connectors. plus you could always get the two connector cheap one and get a molex to sata power conversion cable.

really just get the seasonic. it's your best bet. provided moos don't mind.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
He doesn't. ;)

Rep:
Level 102
Yeah newegg was offline for ages, couldn't check. :|

Now let M00s help :zangry:
bringing sexy back

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Alright, Seasonic it is then.

Edit: Oh the irony of finding an electric type pokemon hiding in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:31:49 PM by Zylos »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Wow, how funny! Alright, you know what to do.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Got the Seasonic wired in, and YAY! My computer, it lives again! 8D

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86