RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXACE] Rozenheim - A Victorian Horror

Rep:
Level 73
Prepare for trouble!

"Hell is empty, and all the devils are here."
- William Shakespeare

Genre: Horror/Adventure
Age Rating: 16+ (Disturbing themes, violence, gore.)
Demo:  None atm
Devblog: http://dolls-of-rozenheim.tumblr.com

You play as Kyrielle Lockewood, a polite yet awkward girl who finds herself at the doorstep of the Rozenheim Manor after fleeing from a sadistic father and  an arranged marriage.  Though she had heard many stories about the alleged ghosts of the manor, she found herself drawn into it.  It was only when she tried to leave that she realized she couldn’t — All paths led back to the manor.  Had she been spirited away by the ghosts, just like the stories said?  Trapped, she must now find a way to uncover the truth of the Rozenheim Curse, less she too end up a vengeful spirit, trapped in the Manor.

Spoiler for "Characters":

"Every story is beautiful, even the ones with unhappy endings."
Kyrielle Lockewood is a kind, albeit somewhat awkward and morose young woman.  She is of proper upbringing, but her hobby of hunting ghosts and fairy tales has her often stray away from ladylike behavior.  Everything she learns or finds, she writes down in a leather-bound journal she is rarely seen without.  She is a clever and resourceful girl, though plagued by occasional clumsiness and awkwardness.  Kyrielle originally ran away from home to escape her deranged father, and the arranged marriage he had sold her into.  She harbors nothing but bad thoughts for her old life, and desired to begin a new life doing what she loved--hunting for ghosts, ghouls, and hobgoblins.

"I want…everything…to suffer.  Suffer and rot!"
Rozenia was the last sacrifice in the Doll Ritual.  All she has left in her is vengeful anger, and is often seen wandering around the manor, laughing sadistically and delighting in the death and destruction she caused.  Though human in life, she currently is seen with a ball-jointed body of a doll, with black, thorny vines protruding from her blackened eye sockets.  Rozenia died a particularly tragic death, where the betrayal of the one person she thought loved her sent her soul plunging into darkness and despair.  In her agony, her soul became twisted and infected by The Witch, the destructive, cursebound spirit that the doll ritual was originally intended to suppress.

"Poor creature.  Is it painful?  Is it unbearable?  Are you suffering?"
Not much is known about the young woman who calls herself ‘Persephone’.  She acts as a guide to Kyrielle, giving her access to The Doll Room and speaking riddle-filled hints.  There are certain things in the manor she may request, and will give Kyrielle courage-boosting items or other gifts in return for them.  However benign her outward attentions may be, Persephone seems to enjoy watching Kyrielle go through her struggles in Rozenheim, and the other ghosts do not even notice her.  Just who is she, really?

"Everyone will rot, everyone will become ash!"
Lucietta Rozenheim a gentle, pure soul in life, known for her miraculous healing abilities.  She was seen by many as a 'white witch', or even a saint, though her family kept her well-isolated to protect their treasure from the outside world.  It was she who became the reason the Doll Ritual needed to exist when tragedy struck her pure heart and turned it black with hate.  Everywhere she walked, she trailed destruction and ruin in her wake, wreaking her rampage upon those who had wronged her.  She was labeled 'witch', and killed.  Though her body was dead, her soul still pillaged on, and so the Doll Ritual was brought into play to suppress her spirit.  At first, they used actual dolls, but Lucietta broke them to pieces.  They tried to seal her into living 'dolls', but this proved to only empower her, and she would control them.  Finally, they crafted dolls out of the failed living vessels, and these dead dolls provided substantial vessels to suppress Lucietta, but even these, after about twenty years or so, would weaken and break.  For the Rozenheim family, Lucietta's curse became their curse.

Other Ghosts:  The Master, The Mistress, The Daughter, The Betrothed, The Grand Matron and Grandmaster, Arietta, Violette, Charlotte (All previous Doll Ritual Victims) The Groundskeeper, The Maids, The Hounds, Jack-in-Irons, The Doll Makers, The Apprentice Doll Makers, and more~ 

Spoiler for "Features":
T h i n g s:

Courage: Kyrielle earns courage by exploring, finding things, and accomplishing achievements given to her by Persephone.  Certain areas in Rozenheim cannot be explored or entered without enough courage. Certain events can lower kyrielle's current amount of courage, and if it reaches zero, she will enter panic attack mode, in which any violent ghost can kill her with one touch.

Spirit:  Acts as Kyrielle's "Life Meter".  Getting grabbed by ghosts, injured, drinking things left under the sink...all of these can deplete Kyrielle's Spirit Meter.  When it reaches zero, it's gameover.

Save points:  Save your game with them, derpderp.  However, there are different kinds of save points in Rozenheim, identifiable by their color.  You have your basic save point (Save your game to a file), and then you have your healing save point (Restores Spirit upon save) and then you have your super healing save point (restores spirit and courage) and theeeen, you have your super awesome amazing savepoint, which heals everything, and lets you teleport back to the doll room.  In order to get these special save points, you have to collect certain items to feed to the fire and upgrade them.

Persephone's Requests: Persephone dwells in the Doll Room, and is responsible for the save points you find around the house.  She'll often ask favors of you -- do this, or bring me that.  She seems to love strange and unusual things, or delicious things.  Doing her requests will put you in her good graces, and she will give you a present.

Heart Shards:  These strange things are left behind by ghosts, and upon use, their memories are revealed to Kyrielle.  Most you can collect by default through the story, but some you can only find through secret or optional means, which means extra story for those who care to find them.  The stories played through these may be images, text, and possibly movie files, for the more interesting ones. The amount of heart shards you collect also decide the ending you get.  Get them all for the perfect ending <3

Grimoire:  Kyrielle's precious journal.  She keeps track of all the information she's discovered about the ghosts in here.  Completing information on a ghost may net you a heart shard, too.

B  a  t  t  l  e:
Kyrielle is not the fighting type.  (Not that punching a ghost would actually do anything, mind you.)  Though she is interested in the morose and macabre, she knows well enough what they could do should they get their grabby hands on her delicate little throat.  There are a few ways in which Kyrielle can avoid ghosts:

Hiding:  Through out the manor are various dark or enclosed spaces in which Kyrielle can crawl into and hide until a violent ghost has passed.  Are these places actually safe, though?

Distracting: Knocking over certain things, or triggering certain sounds may distract ghosts long enough for Kyrielle to make an escape. 

Break Things!  Certain ghosts have items they are very attached to or bound to.  Finding said item and breaking it is a surefire way to get them off your tail and weaken them substantially.

Weaknesses:  The more information you can find about a ghost, the more power you have over it.  One ghost may detest the sound of a bell, so if Kyrielle possesses one, simply ringing it will drive the ghost away.  However, not all ghosts have weaknesses to take advantage of.

T  y  p  e  s  of   G  h  o  s  t  s:

Neutral -  Theses ghosts generally harbor no ill-intentions, and will often offer some small shred of help to Kyrielle, or hints about where things may be hidden.

Angry -  Theses ghosts are aggressive, and want to share their anger or pain through destructive means.  They will attack Kyrielle if they see her.  Kyrielle can generally survive about 4 attacks from these ghosts.

Vengeful- Theses ghosts are stronger than the Angry Ghosts, and generally require a more specific means to get rid of.  Kyrielle can survive about 3 attacks from these ghosts.

Wrathful- Theses ghosts will kill you if they can touch you, even once.  They are considered like “bosses”, and can only be defeated in specific ways.

C r e a t i n g: 
Through out the manor are several small 'workstations' in which Kyrielle can take objects she found to create something new, either to help her get into places she otherwise couldn’t, items to use against certain ghosts, etc.  These workstations are really just individual places that already house supplies Kyrielle otherwise couldn't take with her, such as the kitchen stove, a water well, and so on.  Persephone may also ask for certain items which can only be created in these ways.  However, getting back and forth to these places can be a little dangerous, given the right time.

E x p l o r i n g:
There are many areas to the Rozenheim Manor, both indoor and outdoor.  Some areas may seem like you cannot get into them, but there will usually be ways in which you can find your way in.  Exploring and investigating uncovers hints and truths about what really went on in the Rozenheim Manor.  Make sure to examine nooks and crannies, because you never know what you might find~

Spoiler for "Screenshots":

Spoiler for "Concept Art":

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:18:32 AM by Omiekins »

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
This looks incredible beautiful, absolutely stunning in the visual department. If you need a Beta tester or general helper, sign me up ;o; I hope you finish this because it looks very promising Omie!

Rep:
Level 73
Prepare for trouble!
This looks incredible beautiful, absolutely stunning in the visual department. If you need a Beta tester or general helper, sign me up ;o; I hope you finish this because it looks very promising Omie!

; u ; <3

All I really need to do is spit out all the art, and put everything together.  The art is the longest part, since everything is hand-digi-painted, but the props help a lot for the map designs.  I would love testers, though! <3  I do believe I will finish this, since it's felt more solid and more or less in my niche than typical RPG (which I do love, but augh I get shy because of the tedious parts) and besides, it's a really good portfolio project, since it demonstrates a lot of different areas o u o  AtleastIhope.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Oh wow color me impressed.  I would love to play this game.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
;_______; that's absolutely awesome

Whyyy do the horror game fans get all the fun? >B(
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 73
Prepare for trouble!
Because horror is the bomb diggedy!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
But I don't like being scared :V ;9

I can sometimes enjoy creepy, but horror? Not always. ;_;

Still, looks fantastic! ;o;
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Well, I'm hooked based on the art alone. I can't wait to see how things look (and sound!) in action.

Oh, and I hope that line in the first screenshot sticks. It's a fitting reference.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 73
Prepare for trouble!
I love horror games, but honestly, I find it hard to play them because of my reflexes.  When I tried to play Fatal frame I, in broad daylight, a scary part happened and I literally assaulted my TV with throwing the controller at it in order to "protect" myself xD  I have also creeped myself out while making this game.  Forgot I put in certain creepy elements in an area, went through it to test something else, and was like.... "WHAT IS THAT.  WHAT IS IT." 

The line will prolly stick!  Persephone is a jerk in her own sweet, horrible way.  > u >

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Dude. I can't wait! This looks great. Do me a fovour and distribute it with the RTP, ok? I don't have ace.
:tinysmile: