RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Weekly Beats 2014! Get yo challenge on!

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
*ROLLS AROUND IN THE TALENT*

YOU'RE ALL SO GOOD I CAN'T STAND IT.

Makes me wanna play piano or something.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
@Halo: yeah, well, all I know is everyone here is astounding, but your performances are the only ones that have ever moved me to tears.

Please continue, everyone.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature SpaceFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest MemberMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
http://weeklybeats.com/#/haloofthesun/music/beneath-the-great-oak-tree-is-the-treasure-of-an-elf-2

I don't think mine is going to go over very well... lol. I guess my almost non-existent production values aren't really a very good fit, but oh well.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature SpaceFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest MemberMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
Pacman! How's your choral piece?

As for this week, I'll be starting on my entry tomorrow. Writing it with volume on mute! Should be interesting.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
It went so well guys! Not sure when I'll be able to get a recording up, because none of that's in my hands, but it'll be soon. Can't wait to show everyone :*

I might do a muted one this week too, that'll be... interesting.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 97
That's great! Having your music performed is an incredibly valuable experience because there's so much to learn from it I look forward to hearing it.

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
I myself suck at making music, but I love this thread. I have been following it pretty much since it was started, but I decided to stop stalking and tell you, you're all great!!  :)
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I heard one of Pac's choral pieces before. It was beautiful, so not to put him on the spot, but I have  no reason to think this one won't be. Waiting patiently.

And Ryan, your piece was... well, fun! I enjoyed it quite a bit!

Gahhh, screw you people and your mad talent... :jelly:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:16:02 PM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 97
This is really scary. I don't know how Beethoven did it. I made it up to what is I guess you could call the first chorus, and now I'm choosing the notes for the melody very carefully.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I heard one of Pac's choral pieces before. It was beautiful, so not to put him on the spot, but I have  no reason to think this one won't be. Waiting patiently.
I think this one's even better than last year's. It's so incredible to have your own piece workshopped and performed by a (kinda?) professional group in front of you. I don't think I've personally received so much applause before that concert.
Sorry to keep you all waiting, I'm still unsure who has the recordings and when we'll be getting them.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Turns out today. I've included the pre-performance interview because I'm impressed by how much applause the last funny funny joke I said got, and I'd like you all to laugh at how stupid my voice sounds. It's called Dark, performed by the Gondwana Women's Choir, with only 3 half-hour rehearsals.

Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34818480/Dark%20old.mp3

You may notice some silly silly noises in the background towards the end of the recording. This is because there were children in the audience from a piece earlier in the concert, and children often grow restless and start playing with shit. Also someone sneezed. What a dick.

The interviewer / mocker of my bowing abilities is Australian composer Paul Stanhope (that is the name I referred to him by the whole week he was mentoring me), who is, like, such a genius. In the audience was also the head of composition at the university I'm going to, so that's cool, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:33:47 PM by Pac »

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Damn dude, that sounds phenomenal.

Sorry Halo, but I'm not participating in the whole blind music thing. :\
I did start recording some acoustic guitar today, and that's the first time I've done that, so that's pretty exciting. I got myself a Shure SM57 and SM58 last week as a late Christmas gift. It's actually turning out really good. All I really have to do is ... finish writing the song... which I guess I'm kind of doing as I record, LOL.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:47:49 AM by Moss. »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
Very nice, Pac. And that's really all I can say about it, which is a good thing. I've tried writing for choir before, but never had any success with it.

No big deal about not joining in, arlen. Just a little experiment for this week. And if I had gotten new recording equipment I know I'd want to use it right away, too.

As for me, I think I've gotten to the end of this piece. I still haven't listened to it. Tomorrow I'm going to go in and add some shaping and decide if I want to keep going with it or change anything. It's a hard thing to gauge, though, since I don't really know what it sounds like lol. I mean, I still have a couple days to write, but I only vaguely know what I'm writing anyway, so does it really need that extra polish? Fiddling with it more may just make it worse. And once I listen to it I'm not going to change anything, so I may just trust my instincts and call it done. You can keep writing and refining for ages but at some point you just have to close it and move on - a lesson my professor taught me that I'm still trying to learn lol

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34818480/Dark.mp3

Aaaaand Pac delivers again. Well done. My lady was listening and she says, "In the mood for classical, huh?"
 I say "nah, it's my friend (Pac) from RMRK. He wrote this."

"Woah... no shit? That's awesome! Nononono, keep playing it!"

Rep:
Level 97
Okay, so this turned out way better than I had hoped. However, I think this may be a bit off-putting for some of you. I figured there were two ways to go about it: keep things simple and safe, or embrace the inevitable dissonance and I chose the latter. Not that this is atonal or anything, but there are harsh chords, mostly because I decided to make the violin play only 4ths the whole way through, which complicated things because I was keeping fingerings in mind, which limited which notes the violin could play dramatically. But every other instrument (other than the guitar which often doubles it) basically ignores the notes the violin is playing, so I started thinking of it as a battle between the instruments. Or something. Anyway, enough rambling:

Download http://rmrk.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48527.0;attach=28769
I think the end sounds more like a transition than an ending, but oh well, that's what happens when you can't hear what you're doing. Surprisingly everything flows pretty well. Anyway, sorry if this hurt your ears.

Rep:
Level 96
I made it, with 8 minutes to spare. It's my first time even recording anything, so the quality is bound to be awful, but hey! Practice makes perfect, right?

https://soundcloud.com/ryanleber/yours

Rep:
Level 97
Very good! I was starting to think I'd be the only one to make it this week (where is Arrow anyway?) Nice melody, and excellent progression as always. Makes me feel ashamed of the guitar parts I write lol.

I'm already almost done with this week's. I decided to do a solo piano piece because I haven't written an original one in a very long time.

Rep:
Level 97
And done. I'm really proud of this one, hope you like it! Now time to sleep.

Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/355574/04-Release.mp3

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Around 02:58 is where I fall in love with it.

Rep:
Level 96
I might have to do a quick piano piece, too. Friends are visiting this weekend and I haven't even started. I had an idea, I was going to record some electric guitar and bass and basically write an Eagles of Death Metal type song (maybe even sing...? poorly...?) but I just don't have time. :\

Rep:
Level 96
Man, I keep meaning to record that electric guitar stuff, and I never do, lol. For the third week in a row I'm starting at about 2:00 pm, with only 5 hours to work.

...seems to be working out for me, though...

Rep:
Level 97
lol that's a pretty neat idea. Very interesting concept there.

I'm starting to get very busy but I managed to do a percussion ensemble piece. I haven't done one of those in like... years or something. I forgot to make some of the rolls sound nicer but that's alright.

http://weeklybeats.com/#/haloofthesun/music/passing-time

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Woof...fell behind on this. Won't go into my personal baggage, but I'm gonna try to get back to writing. I was on a roll for a while there, let's see if I can get the momentum back starting this week.

EDIT:

Got a new tool for writing called Kontakt. This and the SNESology project's sample sets have allowed me to work with sounds I didn't have in my arsenal. Here's something I put together to test SCIV's samples.

Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85017929/General%20Music/Test%201.mp3
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:55:46 PM by Arrow »