RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Visual] Map Making

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
So I'm writing a book.

It began as my NaNoWriMo entry. You can download what I have so far from this post.

But I want to have a map to help people see the world.

Here's that map:

Thoughts and comments?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:01:21 PM by boe »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I can't see anything.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Dropbox fail. How about now?

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I can see it now.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Got fed up with colors and landed on this.

Thoughts?
Spoiler because GIANT
Spoiler for:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Not bad, bro. I would have given it a more hand-drawn feel, but that's me; I've been making maps for D&D since 6th grade.

It is neat and uncluttered. The names are clear and easily readable. Those are the important features, IMO.

Consider using a little castle graphic for your "fortress" type cities, and so forth for the smaller towns and such. Also consider adding some rivers. And isn't there a pass in the mountains between Beaton and the Goblin Maw? I thought I read something about that... I could be wrong...
:tinysmile:

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
You're correct bud.

What I'm thinking of doing is having this no frills map put in the book and then actually hiring someone (on fiver) to make it pretty.

"See this link to get a prettier map!" kind of thing.

Spoiler for:

I made a slight font change and for some reason some of the dots were gray.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Hmmm, might be a good marketing gimmick. People like interactive stuff like that. If you do, you could have this whole "BUY MY CRAP" website, make some dough and get recognition.

Pipe dream... you know...

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
"BUY MY CRAP"

Basically sums up my marketing strategy.

Rep:
Level 96
ok where my $5? :V

Spoiler for:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Nice.

How about to this level?

or this?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:54:32 PM by bluntsword »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
:o

Dude... If only I had a sheet of paper big enough... You know what? I just might go get one and see what gets made. Mappin' Tolkien style, if I can find me muse.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Draw away bud! Let me see what you come up with!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I will put it on my list. I will not promise anything... there's a lot going on right now, but it sounds like a fun way to do something cool for my bro! I'll post whatever I get finished.

Which reminds me, I never posted those pics of my WH40k models! Crap!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Still drawing Frank?

I got someone to help make the map much more awesome and I'm in love:
Spoiler for:

Thanks!

Edit -

Booooooo.

Neither wordpress nor weebly allow ftp which is, apparently, the only way to make hype work. Which I was looking at to use in order to make an interactive map on a site.

Hmm...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:26:32 PM by bluntsword »

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
That looks so damn good.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Yeah I crazy jealous.

As you saw my offering up top, this is leagues ahead.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Hmmm... I cant see the image since I'm at work, but lemme check it out. If I honestly think I can do as well, I'll get drawing tomorrow.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Can't wait to see!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Oh hell... that was computer aided? I'm afraid nothing I can do with a pen will stand up... unless you REALLY wanna see what it would look like.

*grabs pen expectantly*

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
I'd love to see what you can make happen with a pen and some paper!

Grab that pen!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
It is SO on.