RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
ATTN: RMRK

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Hrrmm...I suppose the Soviet Union is willing to work with the Nazis on this most challenging task.

Even if the Nazis are a little sumasshedshiy (crazy).
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
This is actually a really good idea. If you guys are serious about it, so am I. I'd be happy to help with the mapping and writing.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Sounds interesting. I guess I could help with a little bit of scripting or eventing. I promise I won't disappear :V

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Have you ever worked with stencyl?

Rep: +0/-0Level 52
Wannabe Genius

I once worked with a team that wanted to make a mobile game and used Stencyl (I'm working outside the RPG Maker scene as well). Said team ran into problems early on because they wanted to make an RPG, but the engine barely managed to handle a cutscene, yet alone a combat system that offers more than just attack and defend commands.

Stencly is primarily for mobile games, and mobile games have very low memory available, not to mention mobile games must be small in filesize because it's all distributed wireless, and nobody wants to wait hours just to download a 99 cent game.
Maybe it's a different case with a custom engine, but at least with Stencyl, it's not possible to make large levels or more sophisticated mechanics. It's no understatement to say that you can only make NES-like games in terms of scale with it. If you wanted to make an oldschool platformer, that's fine, but anything larger than that is not possible with Stencyl.

Unless you want to release the game on mobiles, I suggest using another engine. But if you already have a good plan and enough experience with the engine, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
dude, stencyl is not just for mobile and it definitely can do exactly what you say it can't. I think that team you were working with just didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

Rep:
Level 41
Hey Sexy Girlfriend!!!
Winter is coming.

And I'm not sure if I can help. I'm in between helping my crew learn RPG Maker XP and working on my project too lol
"I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...."

Rep: +0/-0Level 52
Wannabe Genius
dude, stencyl is not just for mobile and it definitely can do exactly what you say it can't. I think that team you were working with just didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

Fair enough. When I pointed out said limitations, I said "either settle for another genre or another engine". Soon afterwards I was kicked out of the team without warning.

Didn't want to ramble like that, but I think everyone agrees when I say that realistic plans and working tools are the most important things in video game development. Just trying to avoid the mistakes I saw many times before.

But I'll shut up now. My field of expertise is not programming, so I'll leave this discussion to the experts.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
This is actually a really good idea. If you guys are serious about it, so am I. I'd be happy to help with the mapping and writing.

Never hurts to have more artists on board! :V Or writers, for that matter. Right now it's just me and EvilM00s and I'm guessing we're just going to toggle ideas back and forth and settle on whatever we thinks works.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
So just to clear up some confusion, we're doing a sidescrolling platformer in Stencyl.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox

I once worked with a team that wanted to make a mobile game and used Stencyl (I'm working outside the RPG Maker scene as well). Said team ran into problems early on because they wanted to make an RPG, but the engine barely managed to handle a cutscene, yet alone a combat system that offers more than just attack and defend commands.

Stencly is primarily for mobile games, and mobile games have very low memory available, not to mention mobile games must be small in filesize because it's all distributed wireless, and nobody wants to wait hours just to download a 99 cent game.
Maybe it's a different case with a custom engine, but at least with Stencyl, it's not possible to make large levels or more sophisticated mechanics. It's no understatement to say that you can only make NES-like games in terms of scale with it. If you wanted to make an oldschool platformer, that's fine, but anything larger than that is not possible with Stencyl.

Unless you want to release the game on mobiles, I suggest using another engine. But if you already have a good plan and enough experience with the engine, I'm willing to give it a shot.
I've used Stencyl consistently since 2009 and your post is almost entirely bullshit.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Can I join? You can find something for me to do.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.

Never hurts to have more artists on board! :V Or writers, for that matter. Right now it's just me and EvilM00s and I'm guessing we're just going to toggle ideas back and forth and settle on whatever we thinks works.

Sounds like a plan. Toss me a PM if you need any help. That goes for Moose as well.

So just to clear up some confusion, we're doing a sidescrolling platformer in Stencyl.

Gotcha. I'm curious as to whether or not you're leaning toward something stage based, ala Mega Man, or something with a more Castlevania or Metroid feel, what with open exploration and such.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
We're sorta going for a mixture of both.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Here is sample of my work.

plz be adding me now
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Unsung Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
This is a very very very simplified and basic version of what really goes on, but I would caution you to watch this and think about some of these topics before work starts. Especially the lawyer bit. I have peripherally experienced this while freelancing in the games field as an artist, talking with my bosses about the process and whatnot. Even on crowdfunding sites and whatnot, you're gonna need to make sure you have appropriate work contracts and someone to translate the taxes on this newish funding source. I'd poke your nose around for a lawyer to speak to and an accountant before even starting work. Not saying you guys shouldn't, just be careful to set a strong foundation for dealing with all the not-gamemaking work that'll need to happen to make a game.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/so-you-want-to-be-an-indie

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Very useful video. Thanks for sharing it, Joy!

#4 was my favorite. I'd rather make something short-but-sweet than 15 hours of "meh". :p
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
I'm good to help with storyline and character development, though I have never used Stencyl before, so I doubt I would be good to help you there.. Let me know if you need me or not of course =)
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I can't speak for cap'n Aco, but I think we're booked on just about everything, except some artists and MAYBE some more stencyl programmers ?

edit: as far as artists go, we've already got one covering all the character artwork. We probably need artists of just about every other type (depending on what Aco wants to cover as far as artwork is concerned =o).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:41:00 AM by yuyubabe »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]