RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Abrupt End to Event Processing

Rep: +0/-0Level 91
Hi there.

I'm working on an event-based system for RPG Maker VX Ace. What it's supposed to do is allow for a hotseat game of up to four players. Events handle the change between each player's characters, and the placement of each character's image on the map for the inactive characters. I've got the system down pretty well, but there's one thing that keeps tripping me up. In the common event I use to start each player's turn, the player needs to be transferred to their coordinates via three variables storing the Map ID, the Map X, and the Map Y for that particular player's character. After the transfer, I want a message announcing whose turn it is and the turn timer reset. The problem is that for some reason, the event processing ends after the transfer occurs, no matter what else I put in the common event.

I have tried several alternate solutions that involve map-specific events. In one of them, the turn start event was supposed to turn on a switch before transferring the player. This had the bizarre side effect of transferring the current player to the previous player's coordinates, rather than the current player's. That problem went away when I took away that switch operator, but I was still left with my original issue. I have also tried triggering the timer and message after calling the common events via map events, but the same termination of event processing seemed to occur.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or am I just trying something that's way too complex for an event-based system?
Current Project:  Untitled Game
----Early development phase

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Junior
Another Late Reply by me...

In XP, if you transfer maps using Common Events, that common event will start again from the beginning.  I could be wrong on that, but Im pretty sure.  I dont usually use Common Events that frequently, and I know eventing inside and out as I've pushed Eventing way way beyond its limits.

What may work, in case you havent found a solution yet, is to use an Autorun event, or anything other than a Common Event, as that will continue executing its list of commands in the proper order, even between Map Transfers.
Heretic's Vehicles XP (Boat and Magic Carpet)

Heretic's Collection XP Ver 2.3 - Updated to include Dynamic Lighting, Moving Platforms, Vehicles, and much much more!

pokeball SacOffline
Rep:
Level 38
Script-less Victory
im sure ill get told not to post in old topics but there all old. anyway what you could try is copy the part of the event thats not running and place it in a new common event with a trigger for a switch that you turn on, when it should have runned in the bigger event... or even try adding some small 2 frame waits, rpg maker seems to try to run every event all at once that is triggered and that will result in variables not updating correctly [ cuz it updates before the variable it self changes ]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:59:40 AM by Sac »
How is it "YOUR" game when its full of other people's scripts? EVENTS WILL SET YOU FREE! ^,^

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
im sure ill get told not to post in old topics but there all old.

Hey, as long as you're trying to do something helpful (which you are), I'm glad you posted. B) Someone with a similar issue could search and find this thread. Here, have some positive rep! (yay?)

Actually, I don't really think most of the mods here mind necroposting, unless it gives us an excuse to pick on people (huehuehuehue).
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]