RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Book of Leaves

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic

Book Of Leaves
A game of action and mystery

This is the official downloads and updates thread. You can find more information under the sub-forum called features and requests, as well as items I need help with (requests for people who wish to work with me), and anything I think might be fun for you to know. There is also a section to report bug and ask for features to be added. But now onto the fun parts!!  :naughty:

The Storyline

Welcome, welcome. Great to see some new faces around here! Scarce few they've been the past few years... Something to do with the growing evil in the land, more likely than not. So, who are ya? Why did you come all the way out this way? Rumor has it there's all manner of foreigners headed across these lands, none of them with good intentions. You ain't one of them, are ya?

Player beware! You choose your own destiny! Will you go the route of heroic fighter, or the way of the demon hordes, preying on others?

Storyline subject to change at any time

Screenshots

Spoiler for:

Mouse support included, shown here selecting letters for your name.

Spoiler for:

Screenshot of a battle, with mouse use enabled.

Spoiler for:

Yes, revel in my mediocre mapping! This is a screenie from a graveyard area in Ledgewood that you can visit. I have no idea what importance it will have yet, but every good village has a graveyard... right...?

Spoiler for:

Not part of the game yet, but working on my mapping skills. Feedback on this would be good :p

Demo and Downloads

DOWNLOAD: This is still a BETA/DEMO release. It is not the full game, and still has -some- glitches. Please keep in mind that I do update this every few nights, to keep you all in the loop on updates to the game. So if you see someone mention an area you can't seem to access, re-download the game. Chances are you missed a few updates  :savepoint:

Current Version - This will always be the most current version available.

You also need the following to make the game work:
Audio Installer
Graphics Installer

IMPORTANT!!! So I have had a few people ask now why I have three installer parts. Well, it's actually meant to be convenient for people on a limited bandwidth, or who don't want to download a huge file every time I do an update. So, how does my system work? Okay, well, you download all three of them, and first install the main game-setup. You can try to run the game if you want to, but you'll get a graphics not found error. So what now? Well, now you install the other two audio-setup and graphics-setup files. These two installers simply do as they say, and install the graphics and audio that the game needs. Pretty simple and straightforward. So how do updates work? Ah, here's the cool part. Unless an update says you need to update one of the other two components, you only need to install the latest game-setup file! And that will only eat up a 30MB or so download. IF an update says you need to update one of the other two, than you really must do so. Chances are good that a major system changed, and something was added to one of them that is necessary to the game being operational.

That being said, I'll also package and upload a regular, RMXP compressed export of the current build every time I do a decent update, for those people that think that would be more convenient for them.

You can download this here!

Other Links and Information

Nothing at this time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:45:40 AM by PhoenixFire »
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Not to be rude, but your kickstarter video is pretty unprofessional. You didn't even change the title screen. If you want to convince people to give you money for your project, you have to present your project in a professional manner. Most successful kickstarters have a very good foundation for their game already laid out.

Your mapping needs a lot of improvement. Here are some good tutorials for mapping in XP. Also, it wouldn't hurt to get some sort of message system installed. CCOA's UMS is pretty good from what I remember.

Try adding a short fade-in from black to the intro of the game. It'll make the transition from the title screen less jarring.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:48:28 AM by Tyrael »

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
I downloaded the game from your website, since file on skydrive that you linked to in this topic seems to have gone missing.
Then, second problem I encounter is some rather important file, the Windowskin, has gone missing so I can't even play your game -.-

As for the kickstarter... I's like the other guy said, just 1 minute of gameplay and you haven't even changed the titlescreen. Your church is HUGE and there's absolutely nothing to see in there, which drops the level of interest of any player you have quite insant.
Also, as for a simple advice, I'd change the Game.exe to a different name, perhaps BookOfLeaves.exe (or even BoL.exe) so that it stands out against perhaps some other game.exe files ;)

I hope to get a working demo soon...

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
Alright, that should repair it. I copied the whole post over from the other forum I'm on. In theory, it has the correct download link now. I'm actually about to re-upload a new version, so fixing the old download would be pointless =P

Give it about an hour or so, and it should be good to go..

EDIT - Yeah, I actually just ran into some huge compatibility issues, so, it's gonna be a few more days.. I'll just go ahead and rebuild the installer for the old one...
It's not the installer that gave the problem, it's a missing windowskin...

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
UPDATE: Yeah, so I never really abandoned the project or anything, and I've had some more time lately, so I went ahead and re-started this. Nothing huge or special yet, but it's a bit of a restart. I went ahead and updated the original post, and it has all the proper links now. Note: Pay attention to the installation notes in the OP. Installer is in three parts.

Also, as a sidenote, I cleaned up the thread as much as I could but if a Mod could help? All the posts between the OP and this one are kinda pointless to have, since the comments are in reference to a kickstarter that no longer exists, and a demo version that has been lost into oblivion...

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I think you're focusing way too much on aspects outside of the actual game. You don't need a fancy installer, or a t-shirt shop, or anything like that until you have a game that looks presentable. Right now that stuff is just distracting you from learning how to make your game better.

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Update: MOUSE CAPABLE! Yea, so it now uses mouse controls, because fuck keyboard commands =p It does still use the arrow keys to distribute your level up points, and all keys still work (arrows for movement, enter to interact, etc.). The new patched installer should be almost done synching, and the graphics installer has been updated with the new arrow icons as well. Unfortunately, that means you need to re-install the graphics too =p

Still looking for feedback if anyone has any thoughts on it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I expanded the demo to include the first small town you get to. Figured I may as well add that in, so you can see all the fun stuff in the works, like pet training, finding random items, etc.  IMPORTANT: If you do go into town, and decide to save, please make sure you either save at the save points (if using normal mode), or somewhere on a path (if using easy mode). If you save anywhere else, I cannot guarantee that you will be able to properly load a save game on a later version. You'll be able to load it, but you might end up stuck in a wall, or on a tree or something. However, I know I won't be changing the path routes, so those are safe :D

EVEN MORE EDIT: Added some screenshots too, so, yeah, feedback on them too =p
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:57:27 PM by PhoenixFire »