RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RTP-Only Challenge!

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Two questions, Is it apparently obvious which boxes can be pushed? Second, do the lights seem too bright?

Hmm, no and yes, a bit too bright.  :o

EDIT: Oop, nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:52:18 AM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Two questions, Is it apparently obvious which boxes can be pushed? Second, do the lights seem too bright?

Hmm, no and yes, a bit too bright.  :o

Okay! I'll fiddle around and see what I can do
Thanks!

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\ô/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
The houses could use some more variance. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkdlC_PhU7Q

For such a big map, it really empty and lacks of detail. Go for smaller maps with more detail rather then big, empty maps. And it's also to much straight lines :-)

1. I thought this by myself, but there is not much variance possibility in XP and the mapping is hardest of all the Makers, because you need to switch a lot between layers. I guess with only RTP it's really hard to make a good game in XP, maybe I switch the editor. ;)

2. I see, I should allways start with the smallest possible map size and make it bigger if needed, that is a really usefull tip, thanks. :) (\s/)

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
The XP RTP is perfectly sufficient to make great maps. You shouldn't just give up because your first attempt wasn't great.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Rpg maker's map creation is far better than VX or VXA's.
I still don't understand why they removed layers.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
For anyone using a battle system for their project, I just stumbled across this link today.

http://cobbtocs.co.uk/wp/?p=271

Behold, the power of a single formula line. Without any external scripts, you can increase the damage of one particular actor versus another actor who uses the same skill in battle. Or, increase healing done to certain actors versus other actors.

You can also check to see if a state is applied on an ally or foe, and deal more or heal more when that state is on.

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Awesome find, Exhydra! :) You've been a big help to us all! \o/
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Wow, amazing. :D

Spoiler for:
I have no clue what any of this means. ^_^
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 43
The XP RTP is perfectly sufficient to make great maps. You shouldn't just give up because your first attempt wasn't great.

Yeah, I know. But it's not only that. It takes me a bout 4 hours to build it, because of the switching layers all the time. The next problem is with the passsable abilities of events. For an example, the fountain is only one block big even it's a cross. So you can walk through all the fountain without any problem. But I'm sure, that this shouldn't be possible. I put this example in the picture below and I tried all the other options, but it's still the same. ;)

Rpg maker's map creation is far better than VX or VXA's.
I still don't understand why they removed layers.

That is what makes the editor so hard to use, you have to switch a lot between layers and that will take forever. I also <3 the battler pictures in this maker. But I don't know how to manage many problems that exist in this maker. The next point is, if the player is on the top of the screen, the player has no head and is cutted off. Well after all, it takes to long in my oppinion to work with it, but I'm really sure, if you take this time, it is the best quality you can reach. ;) (\s/)

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Well it's your choice. Though I think that if you practiced and looked at a few tutorials, you'd start to get the hang of it. Nobody's perfect at something the first try.

Rep:
Level 43
Well it's your choice. Though I think that if you practiced and looked at a few tutorials, you'd start to get the hang of it. Nobody's perfect at something the first try.
I know that, but I'm really down in the moment and I doesn't spend much time on anything, so the Maker XP costs me to much time in the moment. :'(
I really need to get my problems fixed or else, who would know. ;) (\s/)
Maybe I stay with the VX ACE and try to improve my skills with that one and maybe someday I will use XP. ;)

Rep:
Level 96
It is far easier to map with XP. I simply do not understand what you're have trouble with.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
I have been making slight progress on mine this week, I promise. ;_; I shall not give up (yet, lol). Work *should* slow down after next week. ;_;

So far, mine is kinda teh clichez, but I don't really care. :V There's only so much emotion that can be put into a bunch of forever happy-go-lucky RTP faces (especially our young heroine, Deeva, and her chipper mug). So, I found it best to stick with something light-hearted. :p I'm more concerned about fun details (sort of) and dialogue that works well (hopefully I don't type too much, like usual). ;_;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 43
It is far easier to map with XP. I simply do not understand what you're have trouble with.
Well, as I said a hundred times before, it only take me to long. ;)
And for the walls and roofs there are not much variances implemented. So you can't bring much variance into the map. ;)
Maybe I'm kinda dump, I don't know, but I really don't get what I can do with the given parts for more variance. :( (\s/)

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
Star Warrior (Fan of Star Wars)
Is it too late to join? :-\

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
*There's no set dates or anything like that yet. You can start whenever!

Is it too late to join? :-\

Go for it, dude! ;)

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You been added to the list, Geekman. :p

How are the games coming along, guys? B)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 84
I'm just curious. This is just for fun, or is there like a winner, and a prize or whatnot?

I'm considering joining, but I have absolutely no time to work on it.

I've been very intently following this thread and it does sound kind of fun.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Just for fun: no contest or anything. :yuyu:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
Made battle system. It works okay. I'm happy with it.

Hey Exhydra. If you could help me out with any of these, I'll give you imaginary invisible pretend cookies. :D

1. Showing two dialogue windows at once. (Guess isn't even close to possible.)
2. Change dialogue text based on variable.
3. Putting a string into a variable then printing the string.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81

Couldn't you use a conditional branch for that?

Rep:
Level 96
Yes, but it seems to not want to show the choose window and that window at the same time when I use conditional branches... :\

Which I need.

Spoiler for Battle System:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 82
Made battle system. It works okay. I'm happy with it.

Hey Exhydra. If you could help me out with any of these, I'll give you imaginary invisible pretend cookies. :D

1. Showing two dialogue windows at once. (Guess isn't even close to possible.)
3. Putting a string into a variable then printing the string.

[1] Nope, I am pretty certain that you would have to do a significant re-write to get that to work. If you wanted to be cheeky, you could use the script call : msgbox "This is my second message."

EDIT IV : Actually, you could borrow Window_Help or Window_BattleLog. Window_Help would probably look best :

Spoiler for:
Code: [Select]
# Generate new Help Window and Set Global Variable
# Once the global variable is set, you can call the window from anywhere.
$gWinH = Window_Help.new
$gWinH.open
$gWinH.add_text("Test Text")

# Clear Text
$gWinH.clear

# Close or Hide Window
$gWinH.hide
$gWinH.close

# When you no longer need the window, remember to dispose ...
# Once disposed, you will need to do 'Window_Help.new' again
$gWinH.dispose

# A bunch of other methods that you might find useful ...
$gWinH.open?                       # Checks if window is open
$gWinH.close?                      # Checks if window is closed
$gWinH.move(x, y, width, height)   # Sets the x-coordinate, y-coordinate, width, and height all at once.
$gWinH.opacity(255)                # Sets window opacity

[2] Mm, well, you could use the following ...

Spoiler for:
# Add Text and Call Message Window
$game_message.add(%q(sText))

# Example :
$game_message.add(%q("Hi, this is my message." said Dude.))

# Variable Message Example A :
sTextA = %q("Hi, this is my message." said Dude.) + "\f"
sTextB = %q("This is like, my message, man" said Dude.) + "\f"
sMessage = sTextA if $game_variables[5] == 1
sMessage = sTextB if $game_variables[5] == 2
$game_message.add(sMessage)

# Variable Message Example B :
$game_variables[5] = 15

$game_message.add(%q("Hi, this is my message." said Dude. "You're) + "\n" + %q(one of ) + $game_variables[5].to_s + %q( who have read it.") + "\f")

The '%q()' automatically escapes any characters that might otherwise blow up the script (ie - slashes, apostrophes, pound symbol, etc). So, you don't have to worry about manually escaping any dangerous characters (trust me, huge headache).

To fit large messages, insert a 'Set Move Route' event, then create a 'Script' command. The script command within a 'Set Move Route' event may only be one line, but you can fit well over two-thousand characters into the text field. Seriously, you could write a novel in there.

Unfortunately, since you only have one line, you will need to squish all of the commands together with a semi-colon, like so :

# Squished Variable Message Example :
sTextA = %q("Hi, this is my message." said Dude.); sTextB = %q("This is like, my message, man" said Dude.); sMessage = sTextA if $game_variables[5] == 1; sMessage = sTextB if $game_variables[5] == 2; $game_message.add(sMessage)

Also, you may want to measure out how long your lines of text are, where text gets cut off and so on. Whenever you need to drop to a new line, use '\n'. Always place an '\f' at the end of your message, or other messages further along the might interrupt your current message.

sTextA = %q("Hi, this is my message." said Dude. "But, my) + "\n" + %q(message is going to be really, really big. Like,) + "\n" + %q(huge. So huge I'll have to, like, cut it off or) + "\n" + %q(something.") + "\f"

Need to add a face, and such? No problem, there are script calls for that, too.

$game_message.face_name  = 'fName'
$game_message.face_index = fIndex
$game_message.background = fBG
$game_message.position   = fPos
$game_message.add("Text")

# fName      - Name of file containing desired face. Also automatically searches
#              files included in RGSS-RTP. File extensions may be omitted.
# fIndex     - Numerical identifier of face (0 is the first face).
# fBG        - [0] Normal, [1] Faded, [2] Transparent
# fPos       - [0] Top, [1] Middle, [2] Bottom

One final word of warning. Unlike using the normal method for displaying a message window, '$game_message.add' does not pause the script until the viewer closes the window. So, remember to place the following code in a 'Script' command underneath of a script-called message.

Fiber.yield while $game_message.busy?

EDIT : Did you know you can hijack the map name window without physically altering any base code? I did not, until today! Technically does not count as RTP only, but ... still interesting!

Spoiler for:
# Captures the Current Window_MapName Object
wmn = Window_MapName
wmo = String.new
ObjectSpace.each_object(wmn) {|x|wmo=x}

# Opens the Current Window_MapName Object
# (Assumes the map has a display name, otherwise window will not open)
wmo.open

# Captures the Current Window_MapName Object
wmn = Window_MapName
wmo = String.new

# Captures the Current Game_Map Object
gmn = Game_Map
gmo = String.new
ObjectSpace.each_object(gmn) {|x|gmo=x}

# Insert Code into Current Game_Map Object
metaclass = class << gmo; self; end
metaclass.send :attr_accessor, :map

# Alter 'display_name' Variable
# (Normally, this is not possible)
gmo.map.display_name = "Different"

# Opens the Current Window_MapName Object
wmo.open

EDIT II : Actually, hijacking of the map name window can be done without the need for dynamically inserting code. Behold, an RTP-only friendly version for changing the displayed map name (also fits into a script command) :

gmo = $game_map
map = gmo.instance_variable_get(:@map)
map.display_name = "Change Me"
gmo.instance_variable_set(:@map, map)
wmn = Window_MapName
wmo = String.new
wmo.open

EDIT III : More RTP-only friendly script calls that may or may not be of use to someone. Maybe.

Spoiler for:
# Set Priority Type
# => 'priority_type' is how far above or how far below an event or character is on the screen.
# The formula is 'priority_type' x 100 for events and players. Normally, you cannot modify this
# variable. Want a bird that flies underneath star tiles, but above the player? Set 'iPriority' to 1.5 (150).
#
#  -50         Below tilemap but above parallax
# -150         Below parallax
#   50         Above tilemap but below normal characters
#  150         Above normal characters but below Above Character

$game_map.events[eventNum].instance_variable_set(:@priority_type, iPriority)
$game_player.instance_variable_set(:@priority_type, iPriority)

# Set Picture Angle
$game_map.screen.pictures[pictureNum].instance_variable_set(:@angle, iAngle)

# Set Picture Rotation Speed
# Continues to rotate without end until set to '0'.
$game_map.screen.pictures[pictureNum].instance_variable_set(:@rotate_speed, iSpeed)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:30:38 AM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 43
Yes, but it seems to not want to show the choose window and that window at the same time when I use conditional branches... :\
Spoiler for Battle System:

That is really cool, how did you figured that out? O.o
I never thought that this is possible with variables and conditional branches. ;) (\s/)

Rep:
Level 82
More RTP-Only friendly script information for those who want to further add to mapping detail! After stumbling across the 'instance_variable' method last night, I wondered if there was a relatively easy way to hijack Character_Spriteset so one could tinker with how the player and events appeared on the screen. Turns out the process is fairly straightforward.

( Design Mode versus Live Mode with Sprite Additions )

Spoiler for:
# Player Method
# NOTE => Will have to be run when a new map is loaded. Once run, you can use
# '$gco' to apply any of the sprite properties at any time.
ssm = Spriteset_Map
ssmo = String.new
ObjectSpace.each_object(ssm){|x|ssmo=x}
iv = :@character_sprites
csa = ssmo.instance_variable_get(iv)
plr = $game_player
csa.each do |cso|
  $gco = cso if cso.character == plr
end

# Event Method
# NOTE => Will have to be run when a new map is loaded. Since we do not really
# want to create a public variable for each event, you will have to squeeze the
# desired sprite properties into the remaining lines of the 'Script' command call.
ssm = Spriteset_Map
ssmo = String.new; gco = nil
ObjectSpace.each_object(ssm){|x|ssmo=x}
iv = :@character_sprites
csa = ssmo.instance_variable_get(iv)
plr = $game_map.events[evNum]  # Change evNum to the ID of the event.
csa.each do |cso|
  gco = cso if cso.character == plr
end

# Sprite Properties
.zoom_x
# The sprite's x-axis zoom level. 1.0 denotes actual pixel size.

.zoom_y
# The sprite's y-axis zoom level. 1.0 denotes actual pixel size.
# Player Example (50% Larger) : $gco.zoom_x = 1.5, $gco.zoom_y = 1.5
# Event Example (50% Larger) : gco.zoom_x = 1.5, gco.zoom_y = 1.5

.angle
# The sprite's angle of rotation. Specifies up to 360 degrees of counterclockwise rotation.
# However, drawing a rotated sprite is time-consuming, so avoid overuse.
# Player Example (45 Degree) : $gco.angle = 45
# Event Example (45 Degree) : gco.angle = 45

.wave_amp
.wave_length
.wave_speed
.wave_phase
# Defines the amplitude, frequency, speed, and phase of the wave effect. A raster scroll
# effect is achieved by using a sinusoidal function to draw the sprite with each line's
# horizontal position slightly different from the last.

# wave_amp is the wave amplitude and wave_length is the wave frequency, and each is
# specified by a number of pixels.

# wave_speed specifies the speed of the wave animation. The default is 360, and the
# larger the value, the faster the effect.

# wave_phase specifies the phase of the top line of the sprite using an angle of up to
# 360 degrees. This is updated each time the update method is called. It is not necessary
# to use this property unless it is required for two sprites to have their wave effects synchronized.

# Player Example : $gco.wave_amp = 1
                   $gco.wave_length = 45
                   $gco.wave_speed = 350
# Event Example  : gco.wave_amp = 1
                   gco.wave_length = 45
                   gco.wave_speed = 350

.mirror
# A flag denoting the sprite has been flipped horizontally. If TRUE, the sprite will be drawn
# flipped. The default is false.
# Player Example (Mirrored) : $gco.mirror = true
# Event Example (Mirrored) : gco.mirror = true

.color
# The color (Color) to be blended with the sprite. Alpha values are used in the blending ratio.
# Color.new(red, green, blue[, alpha])
# Player Example (Vibrant Red) : $gco.color = Color.new(255, 0, 0, 195)
# Event Example (Vibrant Red) : gco.color = Color.new(255, 0, 0, 195)

.tone
# The sprite's color tone (Tone).
# Tone.new(red, green, blue[, gray])
# Player Example (Red) : $gco.tone = Tone.new(255, 0, 0, 0)
# Event Example (Red) : gco.tone = Tone.new(255, 0, 0, 0)

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5