RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Starting out again :)

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
Hey everybody.

It's been a very, very long time since I've been making my game, and I was just wondering... Doesn't we need a stickie to tell newcomers what they are going to need, if they want to create a great game?
Like what are some good sprite-makers and tile-makers and scripting-guides and so on..... Anything useful I guess?

I was only thinking this, because I find myself at sqaure one again... It kinda sucks... So what do you say? A stickie with basic information on what you're going to need to make a fantastic game?

(And also, where would I find these things? :) )

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
Part of making a game is the experience you gain on your journey to completing it. I feel that the problem with rpg-maker games is that people want everything handed to them on a silver platter. I don't want to sound too negative though, so I will offer some advice.

If you really want to make a unique game, the most obvious way, is to simply make your own graphics. Too many games use RTP. There is no "easy" way to make graphics. There are some that make it easier, but even those take time to learn. I personally use GIMP for everything lol.

Music, there is an awesome MIDI database called VGmusic. Google that :P Other than that, making music is probably the hardest thing to do because of how lame the free programs are.

Tilesets are like the rest of the graphics. Sure you might fine some good ones, but the best will come from making your own. You can make it from scratch like others or you can get pieces from existing tiles, and simply re-color them. I personally make my own because I enjoy the home-made look.

Just remember to credit people who ask for it and don't ever steal anything... Other than that, all it takes is hardwork and dedication to make a great game. :)

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Well there's the Resource Board for graphical and audio purposes, and the Script Board is exactly what it says on the tin.