RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMVXA] What should I do?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Oh no its dat gui agin! run awai!!!

Well, hello there guys. How are you all doing?

I (as I think you know) have been learning a bit about scripting, and thought I would take a crack at making a step counter for the menu and... well it went pretty well. There were a few times that it pissed me off a little, but I got it to work (other then some weird little bugs >_>).

Spoiler for It working.:
Spoiler for It kinda working...:
It only seems to do this at 1 and 2 steps, but any more and it works fine. IDK my bff jill.

So I'm posting to brag about my below entry level script? No, because none of you care about my crap script.

I'm posting here, hoping that somebody could tell me what's the next "rung" in this ladder. What type of script should I take a crack at next? Teeth sinking and all that, eh.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Good for you, BoE. Baby steps. Maybe you could figure out how to do some more of those counter things (play time, battles encountered, etc.) and put them all together into one "Misc." option in the menu? That seems like a suitable long-term goal.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
I would probably see about fixing those minor bugs before moving on. It's usually just something blatantly obvious yet keeps getting missed (happens all the time :|)

Anyway I'd suggest modifying the menu some more, for starters you could maybe change the windowskins for each individual area ;8
We're here if you need help.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 82
You should aim to fix that display bug, first. It's a good learning experience to fix those kinds of things. It helps you avoid running into them in future and sometimes it can increase your understanding of how the language works.

If you are interested in pushing ahead with the scripting, I do have a good number of scripts I need to write ranging from small things to big things for a particular project I'm working on (albeit at a slow rate currently due to me moving cities/jobs and such - thus the lack of activity the last few weeks). If you want to help, I am quite happy to let you do so. In return, I'll offer guidance and support on them and help you become better at scripting. You would have to agree to a few conditions, seeing as you'll be working with me on these scripts, but ultimately it will benefit us both.

Let me know via PM if you are interested. You don't have to commit and at any time you can withdraw and go your own way.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I would probably see about fixing those minor bugs before moving on. It's usually just something blatantly obvious yet keeps getting missed (happens all the time :|)

It was... ;___;
I had the X position of the "Steps" string basing itself on the width of the current number of steps. I just switched that to 0 and it works now.

Anyway I'd suggest modifying the menu some more, for starters you could maybe change the windowskins for each individual area ;8
We're here if you need help.

I'm going to try this out. This one should teach me a few things. As I'm pretty sure you guys know, RPG maker was already counting the steps, I just had it display them. The funny thing is, I wasn't even planning on making a step counter. I was attempting to create a secondary currency. I went into the script where currency is defined, and saw that it keeps track of steps. I decided that I would see if I could make it display the step counter on the menu, and that's how it all began.

Good for you, BoE. Baby steps. Maybe you could figure out how to do some more of those counter things (play time, battles encountered, etc.) and put them all together into one "Misc." option in the menu? That seems like a suitable long-term goal.

I think I'm going to do the window skin thing, then this one. Thank for the idea. ^_^

Again, you're all awesome. You're all helping me out so much.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:55:56 PM by Boe »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&