RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Redwyn's novice musics

Rep:
Level 87
So I've been working on making music on guitar for about 9 months or more, and I've come up with a few semi decent (I think, anyways) sounds. Most of them are unfinished, and I would appreciate your thoughts on what I post, as well as advice and critique.

Most, if not all of these are made in Guitar Pro as I do not have an adequate way to record my songs.

Acoustic

1. Untitled (Not sure what to name it - I think this is my best one so far)
Spoiler for:

2. Another Untitled (Creates a pretty decent loop, I believe)
Spoiler for:

Electric

1. Treachery (Full guitar part. I highly dislike it after 40 seconds so the parts after that will most likely be scrapped. This is the one I want the most advice on how I can flesh it out more)
Spoiler for:

Other

1. Slenderman Theme (I came up with a very short song for Slenderman. I really think I should expand on this more sometime)
Spoiler for:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:24:49 AM by irock »

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Sounds like music I wrote when I first started writing. :)

You have a good sense of form. => You don't play the same thing for too long, and change things up appropriately.
You have a good sense of tonality. => There were a few strange choices for chords/notes, but they weren't horrifying or completely indefensible.
You can tell these were written ON a guitar, because of note spacing. Just something I notice as a guitarist. It's nice.

Suggestions:
If you aren't comfortable with adding other instruments, like drums or bass or vocals, start by adding another guitar. The first two tracks you have are actually quite perfect, if they were accompanied by another guitar playing a melody line. If you want to get really complicated, you could try working in a melody to the already existing guitar part ... but that might be tough, lol. (Think classical guitar.)

Criticisms:
All of your songs are in 4/4. Not only that, but every one of them is 1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4
This can make your music monotonous. BUT. As for #1 and #2, you COULD keep them monotonous, and add that second guitar for a melody like I talked about above, and have THAT guitar use some more rhythm.

Ex: First guitar is like 1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4 | 1 ...
Second guitar is like 1 ... 4 | .... 3 .. | ... 2 ... | 1 .. 3 .. | 1...

Try adding some sustained chords, since that first guitar is just playing short notes.

Or try letting the notes ring on the first guitar.

Check out the thing I attached. Hope I'm not stepping on your toes or anything by going ahead and playing around with your tune. You can use whatever I came up with, I don't mind.

The third one: There's something to it, but it's very rough compared to the others. But the rhythm is more interesting, and it even changes tempo! But this kind of music NEEDS drums/bass/etc.

As for the last one: You're going for something more cinematic, or atmospheric. The plodding 1 2 3 4 |1 2 3 4 does not lend itself well to this genre. Make it more free. Ignore bar lines. Let chords build up and swell and gradually fade away. Losen it up.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 87
Thank you for replying to my topic and giving me some advice. I've just only really started out in making music so I'm not that well versed in how songs should flow and how some songs should be structured. (As evident in Treachery >_>)

I tried adding some chords to my first untitled song, which is shown in the 3-2 version of it on my soundcloud but it doesn't sound all that great. I do not mind you messing around with my music; it shows me ways to work with my songs. I love what you did to the first untitled. If I may, would it be possible to get tabs for the part you added? I'd really like to further the direction you took the song.

I'm hoping to get together with a friend soon, one that knows how to structure music and plays bass, to work on Treachery. I'm not very comfortable with other instruments since I would have no idea how to play them right and tab them as well; so I'm hoping to get others to worth with in adding other sounds to my music :]