RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Earthbound-Ish Battle System

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, vindaca's identified the usual culprits, so since it's not them, my best guess is that you have previously changed the name of one of the commands in the database without also changing it in the icon setting part of the script.

Around lines 27-35 of the base, you should see:

Code: [Select]
    ActorIcons ={
      # Command Name => IconID
      "Attack" => 116,
      "Magic" => 152,
      "Special" => 128,
      "Guard" => 161,
      "Items" => 260,
      "Escape" => 474,
    }

Thus, it chooses the icon by command name, not an ID system. It is thus susceptible to any variations in command name: if you have changed any of the command names in the database without also changing this, the error you report could be expected.

As such, I recommend that, right underneath the }, you add a line so that this part of the script looks like:

ActorIcons ={
      # Command Name => IconID
      "Attack" => 116,
      "Magic" => 152,
      "Special" => 128,
      "Guard" => 161,
      "Items" => 260,
      "Escape" => 474,
    }
    ActorIcons.default = 0

Then, start the battle. If I am right, the error should not occur, but there will be one or more commands for which no icon is shown. Those commands are the culprits. If that doesn't work though, then I am sure the demo will be invaluable.

Good luck.

Rep:
Level 40
RMRK Junior
Well, vindaca's identified the usual culprits, so since it's not them, my best guess is that you have previously changed the name of one of the commands in the database without also changing it in the icon setting part of the script.

Around lines 27-35 of the base, you should see:

Thus, it chooses the icon by command name, not an ID system. It is thus susceptible to any variations in command name: if you have changed any of the command names in the database without also changing this, the error you report could be expected.

As such, I recommend that, right underneath the }, you add a line so that this part of the script looks like:

Then, start the battle. If I am right, the error should not occur, but there will be one or more commands for which no icon is shown. Those commands are the culprits. If that doesn't work though, then I am sure the demo will be invaluable.

Good luck.

Works now, thankies very much~

Except now that when I enter a battle in game I get the same error Cuttershy did and I have my scripts the right way around, sooo.

But now how do I choose the icons that the battle screen uses? Do I replace the values in the attack, magic, etc. line?

Didn't read your post well enough. Changed them via editing the script.

^ battle screen after changing the code as algebra said to (not in game)

Also, during battle testing, the game likes to freeze at random intervals.

I also wanna fix the odometer getting cut off like it is in the picture. How would I go about this?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:15:57 PM by The True Nameless »

Rep:
Level 52
RMRK Junior
Well I'm not sure about the freezing, but right around line 173 you should see graphics width. That it what you will need to change. At line 227 you can adjust the x value of the window too. Adjusting it this way though will only work if you are doing a one member party, once the second member joins the windows will look funky. What I would suggest instead is resizing the odometer to fit the window not the other way around.
Spoiler for "More About Vindaca":

Spoiler for "General Prices":
You can also build packages containing multiple resources. (Package prices are not included.)

Music

Basic Songs = $20 - $50 USD
Advanced Songs = $100+

Graphics
32 x 32, 4 Directional Sprite = $7 USD each / $50 USD per sheet
64 x 32, 4 Directional Sprite = $10 USD each / $60 USD per sheet
Backgrounds = $10 - $40 USD
Tilesets = $5 each / $20 - $50 USD per group
(depending on types of tilesets)
Iconset = $5 each / $35 - $80 if buying more then 10
(depending on quantity)
Windowskins = $7 each

Animations
Titles = $20+ USD (Depending on complexity)
Backgrounds= $20+ USD (Depending on complexity)
Regular Evented Scenes = $40+ USD each (Depending on complexity)
Parallax Scenes = $60+ USD each (Depending on complexity)
CG  = $300+ USD (Depending on complexity)
Maps

Basic Map Design = $7 USD each
Advanced Map Design = $10+ USD (Depending on complexity)
Scripts

Basic Custom Menu Script = $60 - $100 USD
More Advanced Menu Script = $120 - $300 USD (Animated, ext.)
Mini-games = $100 - $300 USD (Depending on complexity)
I am willing to build a custom card game if specifications are given Commissioned out E.T.A. 3 - 6 months
Battle Systems = $100 - $300 USD (Depending on complexity) Commissioned out E.T.A. 3 - 6 months
Others Scripts = $80 - $300 USD (Depending on complexity)

We are also willing to build games for you with as little or as much direction as you want. (Prices vary depending on complexity of game)
If you want to use your resources in multiple titles there is an additional charge of half the cost of the resource. (Prices vary depending on packages)
I require half of the total cost of any projects up front and the other half before completion.
If a project is finished and not picked up within 1 month of notification,
your resources will be resold and no money will be refunded.

Rep:
Level 40
RMRK Junior
Well I'm not sure about the freezing, but right around line 173 you should see graphics width. That it what you will need to change. At line 227 you can adjust the x value of the window too. Adjusting it this way though will only work if you are doing a one member party, once the second member joins the windows will look funky. What I would suggest instead is resizing the odometer to fit the window not the other way around.

So how would I resize the odometer.

Also, what about my other bug where I get the same error as Cuttershy?

Rep:
Level 52
RMRK Junior
you can re-size it with Paint, Photoshop, Gimp just to name a few programs but any of them should work as long as you can save the image as a .png.

I'm assuming you tried what she did to fix it already? Did you by chance change anything else in the scripts?

You can also build packages containing multiple resources. (Package prices are not included.)

Music

Advanced Songs = $100+

Graphics
(depending on quantity)
Windowskins = $7 each

Animations
Maps

Scripts

I am willing to build a custom card game if specifications are given Commissioned out E.T.A. 3 - 6 months
Battle Systems = $100 - $300 USD (Depending on complexity) Commissioned out E.T.A. 3 - 6 months

We are also willing to build games for you with as little or as much direction as you want. (Prices vary depending on complexity of game)
If you want to use your resources in multiple titles there is an additional charge of half the cost of the resource. (Prices vary depending on packages)
I require half of the total cost of any projects up front and the other half before completion.

Rep:
Level 40
RMRK Junior
you can re-size it with Paint, Photoshop, Gimp just to name a few programs but any of them should work as long as you can save the image as a .png.

I'm assuming you tried what she did to fix it already? Did you by chance change anything else in the scripts?

I did what she did when you told me to do it as part of my previous problem.

Rep:
Level 52
RMRK Junior
The only thing I have left to suggest is the demo then. You might want to post a copy of the link to this post too, so that others can check it out and maybe help out.

Music

Advanced Songs = $100+

Graphics
(depending on quantity)
Windowskins = $7 each

Animations
Maps

Scripts

Rep:
Level 40
RMRK Junior

You know what, I'll just resize the window, it's not that hard. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:22:39 AM by The True Nameless »

Rep:
Level 52
RMRK Junior
There's more to it then just resizing it, now you have to adjust the rect for the numbers, but great job getting it working!!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:27:26 AM by vindaca »

Music

Advanced Songs = $100+

Graphics
(depending on quantity)
Windowskins = $7 each

Animations
Maps

Scripts

Rep:
Level 71
Super Maker
I wish the odometer meter had a separate stand alone version add on also.
The Maker of Battle Dungeons!!

Spoiler for Big ass signature, bro:
AbsoluteIce I finally say your Sig.

Get by 20 attack Dogs...seriously. I got 20 attack Dogs.

*Your signature was raped changed for taking up too much room.
~Sincerely, a staff member. That is all you need to know. That, and I am no one to be trifled with.

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
RMRK Junior
Sorry for Necro posting because this is a good script and i was having a few errors with it.

Anyway for some odd reasons,lets say their are 3 monsters in an encounter and 3 party members.When i choose one monster out of the three as a target for my individual party members the battle just kinda freezes and stops responding to button commands.

What i mean is i choose party member A to attack monster A,party member B to attack monster B and party member C to attack monsters C.As soon as one of the monsters dies the battle freezes.This doesn't happen if you gang up on one monster or battle with one party member.

The other thing is resolution.When you increase the resolution to 640 x 480 the characters get offsetted from the stat boxes and they kinda float in the air....is their a way to safely edit sprite positioning?

And the other thing is,is it possible to reduce the odometer digits from 4 to 3?

******EDIT*******

I have a semi fix for the sprite position problem and have managed to reduce the odometer to 3 digits.

So after playing around with the battle system i realized a few other bugs in the script and they all deal with the odometer.

1: The odometer Keeps rolling after death.When the character loses all hp it will roll until all the damage that would have taken is rolled down.I need to make the script stop rolling at 000 HP reached...If anyone has any tips or ideas to achieve this please post them here.

2:If damage was rolling on the odometer and the battle ends,when a new battle starts,i continues to roll until the damage from the previous fight is rolled down.This obviously needs to be fixed lol.I need damage to stop being taken when a battle ends.Any suggestions would be nice.

3:State damage such as poison don't roll down the odometer they just subtract the HP like regular damage would.

If anyone can poke around in the odometer script and see of they can come up with a fix It would be greatly appreciated!

************* EDIT NUMBER 2 *********************

In addition to the problems mentioned above their are a few more glaring issues.

The first deals with healing skils....When a healing skill/item is used on a party member with full HP,the odometer forces itself to spin and repeatedly show the current HP and 1 HP lower.In other words..in the same way the odometer doesn't stop rolling after death it also doesn't stop rolling when healed to full HP.

The second deals with MP.When an MP skill is used the MP odometer doesn't roll at all unlike the HP bar,it just subtracts like normal.

So.....i guess none of these problems are ever getting fixed?

Shame really since this is a genius battle script for VXA

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
RMRK Junior
Cozziekuns, I'm really digging this script, but it has a lot of problems;

-If a battle has more than two enemies, it freezes and stops responding to button inputs when an enemy is killed.
-It does the exact same thing when I use any script that creates and disposes of images (like Galv's Timed Button Hits or MOG Hunters Enemy HP Bar). This is regardless of the number of enemies.
-There are issues with the rolling odometer portion of the script, like when using a healing item or healing MP.

Is it possible that you, or anyone, can fix these issues? It's a great script that I would love to use. It's just annoying that I have to limit enemy numbers in an encounter or the use of scripts that use/dispose of images in battle, because it's an otherwise awesome script.

Rep:
Level 40
Just keep scrollin'~
Looks awesome, I wish that XP/VX could have had the same type of coding, both of them have a lot of good scripts.

On the other hand, Demo?

Rep:
Level 56
Dragon agent
Could you make it so script can be switched on/off (basically switching between basic battle system and this)? I want to use this system but only for specific encounters. Or perhaps other script that accomplishes similar thing is out there?
Rave Darkhog Darkhogini. PhD in scamwareology, learned at Stencil University LLC.

Rep:
Level 41
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
I'm a HUGE EB fan so I honestly jizzed mountains upon seeing this. Thank you thank you thank yooooou  ;D  ;D  ;D  ^-^

Rep: +0/-0Level 37
RMRK Junior
AWESOME SCRIPT! EARTHBOUND RULEZ

Anyone can help me?

I had same problem with Error 373. Seems to be a conflict with a script from RPG Maker (Window_Base). The print bellow show the line that had the conflict. I tried some of the things you mentioned before, but nothing worked.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Cozziekun's script calls on that method to draw items in the Actor Command window. Specifically, in Window_ActorCommand#draw_item (~line 137):
    draw_icon(Earthboundish::ActorIcons[command_name(index)], x, y, command_enabled?(index))
Your error indicates that the value being passed to the method as the argument icon_index doesn't exist, or is 'empty' - it's a nil. The error is thrown and the program crashes because it's trying to process a mathematical equation with a nil, which isn't a thing.
As we can see, the argument being passed as icon_index is "Earthboundish::ActorIcons[command_name(index)]". This refers to a specific point in the configuration hash in Cozziekun's script as defined by the database commands for battle actions.

This leads me to believe that either you haven't configured a custom battle action, or you've accidentally deleted a previously existing one. I'll advise you to make sure all of your battle commands are present in the script's configuration, and paired with an icon ID.

At least, that's what it seems like to me, that's how I managed to duplicate the error. Good luck.

Edit: Just realised that MA explained this error at this page as well. See his post if you're confused, he offers a workaround solution of putting a default value for that hash.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:16:54 PM by Baron von Pacman »
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK Junior
Edit: Just realised that MA explained this error at this page as well. See his post if you're confused, he offers a workaround solution of putting a default value for that hash.

Just tried this and worked pretty well! Thank you very much!

Rep:
Level 56
Dragon agent
Could someone modify or make another script like this that can be turned off/on at will (if off, default/another custom system is used, like eg. YanFly's or moghunter's)? I'd like to use system like this for boss battles and normal system for everything else.
Rave Darkhog Darkhogini. PhD in scamwareology, learned at Stencil University LLC.

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
can you make an addon for the combo system from Mother 3's(Earthbound 2's) battle system

Rep: +0/-0Level 36
RMRK Junior
Quote from: WinglessRM on September 19, 2013, 02:49:10 AM
Sorry for Necro posting because this is a good script and i was having a few errors with it.

Anyway for some odd reasons,lets say their are 3 monsters in an encounter and 3 party members.When i choose one monster out of the three as a target for my individual party members the battle just kinda freezes and stops responding to button commands.

What i mean is i choose party member A to attack monster A,party member B to attack monster B and party member C to attack monsters C.As soon as one of the monsters dies the battle freezes.This doesn't happen if you gang up on one monster or battle with one party member.

The other thing is resolution.When you increase the resolution to 640 x 480 the characters get offsetted from the stat boxes and they kinda float in the air....is their a way to safely edit sprite positioning?

And the other thing is,is it possible to reduce the odometer digits from 4 to 3?

******EDIT*******

I have a semi fix for the sprite position problem and have managed to reduce the odometer to 3 digits.

So after playing around with the battle system i realized a few other bugs in the script and they all deal with the odometer.

1: The odometer Keeps rolling after death.When the character loses all hp it will roll until all the damage that would have taken is rolled down.I need to make the script stop rolling at 000 HP reached...If anyone has any tips or ideas to achieve this please post them here.

2:If damage was rolling on the odometer and the battle ends,when a new battle starts,i continues to roll until the damage from the previous fight is rolled down.This obviously needs to be fixed lol.I need damage to stop being taken when a battle ends.Any suggestions would be nice.

3:State damage such as poison don't roll down the odometer they just subtract the HP like regular damage would.

If anyone can poke around in the odometer script and see of they can come up with a fix It would be greatly appreciated!

In addition to the problems mentioned above their are a few more glaring issues.

The first deals with healing skils....When a healing skill/item is used on a party member with full HP,the odometer forces itself to spin and repeatedly show the current HP and 1 HP lower.In other words..in the same way the odometer doesn't stop rolling after death it also doesn't stop rolling when healed to full HP.

The second deals with MP.When an MP skill is used the MP odometer doesn't roll at all unlike the HP bar,it just subtracts like normal.

Is this Script really not getting updated anymore? ;9

It's really awesome besides these minor bugs  :D

Edit: Sorry. but it seems i noticed yet another bug.
If any of my Party members gets Poisened, blind etc. the game freezes as well. But this seems to occure only on my side though...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:26:47 PM by Nintenvoice »

Ghost ride the whip.
I have problem with the Odometer Add-on.
In a middle of the final battle,it starts this error:
"Script: 'Odometer Add-on' line 101: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method ` Odometer_hp' for
#<Game_Enemy: 0xa280be0>
the line is this:    user.odometer_hp -= @result.hp_drain
What can I do?

Rep: +0/-0Level 27
RMRK Junior
Give an example odometer, please. Pics here is dead.

Rep: +0/-0Level 26
RMRK Junior

******EDIT*******

Daym shame. I'm getting the same exact problem and I really want this to be updated. This script is perfect except for the bugs. Its just frustrated that It keeps crashing. Just thought id give my though on this.

Rep: +0/-0Level 26
Complete noob.
Hey Cozzie! Loving the Script, except I have a problem:

While the Base script works just fine for me, I also want to use the Odometer add-on (I'm not planning on using the Sprite Display). The problem is that both of the Images (Odometer_HP & Odometer_MP) attached in the main post seem to be corrupted, as I can't open them in photo viewer and I can't edit them in Paint.NET. Would you be able to re-upload the original images or provide a template?

And to any users who may have been able to download it and use it before the corruption, if Cozzie doesn't, could you also be able to provide either the image you used or a template?

Either of these would be greatly appreciated.