RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX Request] Character Creation

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
GAMING IS FUN!!!!!!!!!! *throws ps3 pad at HD tv*
Okay.

To anyone who is willing to be kind to me, I'm trying to figure out a Character Creation Method that allows the gamer to either;

1) Be able to actually customise the character to however he/she seems fit (hair, face, etc) AT the beginning of the game, as opposed to it happening as per it happening on events and what not.

or

2) Be able to change the characters' name to whatever they want.

I know someone might have requested this, and that it might be done already (and if it is, I have not found it as of yet) but I will very much appreciate if some help can be offered. And yes, I will credit whoever is able to assist me in this.
one does not just simply walk into Mordor

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
There is a Change Actor Name event command. It is on the first page of the event commands, second column, second last row.

As to it happening at the beginning of the game, there is no reason that can't be done through events. Just make it so that the initial map is a blank one, and make it so that no characters are in the party. Then do the Change Name command in a parallel process, add the actor to the party, and transfer to the real starting map.

I'm not aware of any custom character creation scripts for RMVX.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
The previous poster has, however, written some scripts that alter character appearance based on equipment...
:tinysmile:

oh Modern Algebra, i do know about the event page 'change actor name' but I was wondering if instead of a method where-by, the character's name can be an input by the gamer

(you know, "Enter the name you choose to be called: _____ " sort of thing)

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
Everyone... Actually Everyone hates me :)
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
That's exactly what the Event does, I've used it before, it really just takes a few moments to set it up the way you want it.
Final Statement: I chowder5lock am a dipshit and MA is a pretty cool dude.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Oh, sorry, you're right. I meant to direct you to the Name Input Processing command on page 3 of the event commands, first column, third row. That will let the player choose the name.

Thank you guys :-)

Hey modern, sorry for disturbing but I've hit a small snag in the character naming process. I have found the event that allows the character to be named by the player, I have been trying to find a way to be able to call (for lack of a better word) the character's name in an in-game text.

Not sure if that made sense so let me try and simplify.

Say I named my character "Shadowyugi" and that is what the character is going to go by.

Should I choose to use the character's name in a text, the usual method would be to input this into the text box

"Hello, ________" or in this case "Hello, Shadowyugi"

Which is all well and dandy seeing as I know the name. However, in a case where i'm trying to generally program it for everybody that will probably test it out, I want to be able show the character's name in the text box...

[Please i hope that made sense]

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Use:
          \n[1]
in a message box.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

gonna attempt it now. thanks matey (^_^)