RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Pokemon Essentials] Call Species

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
... Hrm. Been a while since I've been here...

Well, I'm using Version 11 of Poccil's Pokemon Essentials kit, found here.

And I'm trying to figure out how to call the Pokemon's species, rather than name (that is, having the pokemon called a charmander, rather than "ZIPPO"), but I am having a rough time...

I simply want the NPCs to be able to comment on the first Pokemon in your party by species, but the closest I have come is this:

Code: [Select]
$game_variables[2]=
$Trainer.pokemonParty[0].species

which, while technically working, doesn't return a name. Instead, it returns that Pokemon's number in the Pokedex, and I have no clue on how to get that to transfer over to Pokemon name...

EDIT: yeah, I accidently switched where I put the word here and the address... been a while since I've been on a forum... haha
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:49:42 AM by Sashikinaroji »
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
The link you provide only works if you copy/paste it, otherwise it leads to a "http://here/" url.

I don't have XP so I won't be of much help, but if this system has a menu that displays the names of the Pokemon in your party then you could check how it's displayed there to see how it gets the name from the "$Trainer.pokemonParty" array.

Or you could try:

$Trainer.pokemonParty[0].name

Another thing you could try is to print all the methods and try what looks useful, like:

print $Trainer.pokemonParty[0].methods.sort

Let me know if any of that works, if it doesn't I'll see if I can somehow extract the scripts to read them.

Have a nice day.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
after a re-invigored search, I have found this snippet of coding in the pokedex script...

# Pushing national species, name, height, weight, index number
        dexlist.push([nationalSpecies,
           PBSpecies.getName(nationalSpecies),height,weight,i])

of course, I now have a method of displaying the species, however, when I input the method of finding the species in, i get the following error.
Spoiler for:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: RuntimeError

Exception: ArgumentError

Message: (eval):3:in `getName'wrong number of arguments(0 for 1)

***Full script:

$game_variables[1]=
$Trainer.pokemonParty[0].species
$game_variables[2]=PBSpecies.getName
(pbGet(1))

which tells me that pbGet(1) will give me the Kanto Pokedex number of my pokemon, but will not convert it into a physical number in the same way I couldn't get a different dialogue to pick an actor name based on a variable (btw, if you can tell me how to swing that too... that'd be great, seeing how it is too small an issue to make a thread for)... So what happens, then, is they try to call the species with the phrase pbget(1) which crashes the game... Any ideas how to circumvent?

I have tried to give another variable the value printed by pbGet(1), using $global_variable[1]=pbGet(1), but it doesn't give the result, only the actual phrase...

PS. Unfortunately, those other two options didn't work
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:48:43 AM by Sashikinaroji »
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.