RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I have a problem when making my game

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
Everyone... Actually Everyone hates me :)
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
Hell, I spent a long time on one of my completed games, and I didn't even publicly release it. It was nice enough just to have a few friends play it! (I mean, it's not very easy to publicly release a game hack, either way...*mumbles*)

Lol, if your friends enjoyed those games, you might as well release them to the public? You've got nothing to lose.:lol:

I agree, And you have many supporters here in the forum already that would definitely play your game. Here i'll list off some people that would probably play it for sure whether it's good or not:
  • Crow5derlock (Myself obviously)
  • Acolyte (Acostrike, Acopalypse, Aco-Kun)
  • Milennin (That one noob who made a topic about demotivation  :lol:)
  • HyoBang (Bradoki2, his new name really doesn't suit him though, i'm sure he'd test it out at the very least.)
  • ModernAlgebra (Face it he looks at everything, especially moderator posts, He'll see it and test it.)
  • :yuyu:
Final Statement: I chowder5lock am a dipshit and MA is a pretty cool dude.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
You are aware that strike and I are two separate people right.  :irock2:
I mean, I'm sure strike wouldn't mind playing too, but still.

All the good advice has probably been said at one point or another but I'll throw my two cents in anyway. Even if you don't feel that "spark" of creativity, it's best to just push through and keep working on something. This goes for pretty much anything, whether it be writing, drawing, game making, whatever. It's better to make something than nothing, even if it's not that great. Everything is a learning experience.

Also, sometimes you have to work with what you've got and sacrifice some things that just won't happen. I remember when I tried to make my first game, I waited around forever for this one script to be made, instead of just continuing with development. I think a lot of people do that. "Oh, I need a certain custom character" or "custom music for this one scene". Keep making your game, and if someone comes along that can help you out with that, great. If not, think about using other resources. There's also the option of picking up a new skill to fill in the resource gaps. I learned a bit of spriting from my GIAW entries. I'm still not exactly great at it, but I can manage.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:13:50 PM by Acolyte »

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Hell, I spent a long time on one of my completed games, and I didn't even publicly release it. It was nice enough just to have a few friends play it! (I mean, it's not very easy to publicly release a game hack, either way...*mumbles*).
I say you release it, I had fun with it; why wouldn't others?
Besides RMRK isn't the kind of place to shun you for a game hack, I doubt the Serenes peeps would give half a damn either.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
I say you release it, I had fun with it; why wouldn't others?
Besides RMRK isn't the kind of place to shun you for a game hack, I doubt the Serenes peeps would give half a damn either.

Well, I'm actually a member of serenes forest, but I'm not a huge fan of the place, lol. o_o I have maybe one friend there, who's already played it. He said it was the second best game hack he's played, because hacking games is kinda tough. (Though I don't think it was all that great, it was my first hack, after all lol). There isn't as much room for creativity and flexibility. Still, it's fun because I just focus on the story and characters and leave most of the rest the same. :D

As for releasing it...well, it's not actually strictly legal to release it as it is, because that's a direct copy (with my own edits) of a FE8 gba ROM. The version I sent out had an emulator included, because I let mostly non-hackers play it. Let's just say that's not...recommended for the public. o_O So, the problem here would be that if I wanted to legally release it, I'd have to do so via a patching system, which is only really helpful for those who already know how game hacks work. >_< It's not going to be very fair to make people download the emulator and the patching system just to play that game. D:

Also, definitely agree with Aco there. o_O Waiting on a specific script or piece is crazy bad. I was actually very relieved when Ace came out, because I spent waaaay too much time trying to get scripts working and such. Ace is pretty cool on it's own, though. B)
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
Everyone... Actually Everyone hates me :)
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
You are aware that strike and I are two separate people right.  :irock2:
I mean, I'm sure strike wouldn't mind playing too, but still.

Actually i was reffering to way back when. You had a temporary change in your username and it said Acostrike instead of Acolyte. Or maybe my memory and recollection of posts is delusional, but either way all's the same.
Final Statement: I chowder5lock am a dipshit and MA is a pretty cool dude.

Rep:
Level 55
Infected with the sickness.
Well, I'm working on a solution that will hopefully boost up the activity for newer member's games. :) I believe I told Diz about it. xD I'll see if the ball can get rolling sometime, because I'm seeing a lot of newer members wanting to make games, so it's a good time to try and spark some creative juices and interest. :ma:

Ye, I believe you talked about it in a PM :D
I think that idea is really awesome, and I think it would mean tons to newer members, just like myself!

Hell, I spent a long time on one of my completed games, and I didn't even publicly release it. It was nice enough just to have a few friends play it! (I mean, it's not very easy to publicly release a game hack, either way...*mumbles*)

You really shouldn't be discouraged about that. :) When you make games, you get better at making them. xD And, well, the feeling of accomplishing and finishing them is the real cupcake, not necessarily the fame. xD Hell, I spent a long time on one of my completed games, and I didn't even publicly release it. It was nice enough just to have a few friends play it! (I mean, it's not very easy to publicly release a game hack, either way...*mumbles*)

Also, Diz, once you get a demo up, I'm going to try out your game and give you some feedback. ;o It looks good!

Don't be afraid to ask for help, guys! xD Either advice, or picking up a team. Teams can do much more than one person. :)

Thats true, Its just something that happens to get stuck inside my head and I cant shake it away..
I have some friends, waiting to play the demo, but I hope I can make somethin that I could feel atleast a tiny bit proud off.  Im certain I can make it happen with alot of work, but I cant help to feel a bit discouraged from time to time :)

And I can see what you mean, just finishing a final product is the reason Im really working on the project.. Like I said early on when joining here, Its been kind of a small "dream" for me to fully finish a self-made game.
Thanks alot!, would be an honour to have you playing it! (I actually came up with an idea, almost the very first day I started to create my game, and I will ask for your permission in a PM later on  ;D)

I have thought about trying to get someone to help me, like in a team.. but I guess I would need to get people interested first of all. Its alot of work, if you create everything yourself but Im not sure if I could get anyone to help me. I ask for advice as much as I can, and there have been lots of people willing to guide me from the start (you included  ^-^)

It's not so much an issue for me, but I agree that when I look at other people's projects I see much greater stuff than I could ever do. Like, should I even bother posting my game when it's finished when there's so many better games to play out there? Of course I will, but I always doubt if people will like my game at all. Lol.

I do agree with burn-outs having to do with the amount of time that goes into a project. I spend ages to get even a single minute of polished gameplay, I guess it has to do with being inexperienced, but I constantly have to test, fix, test, fix, test, fix some more, which eats up tons of time and patience.

Ye, Its the same for me. Sure, I would probably post it anyway and have my friends play it, but those thougts gives me a headache from time to time, they sure do.

Excactly, I think thats the thing aswell.. but from my own experience I can tell that Im working alot faster now compared to back when I first started out. Still Its really the same for me, fix, test, fix etc and if one way doesnt work, I have to redo it and try something different until it works the way I want it. I guess it takes a bit of time to get used to everything, but at the moment it sure takes me a good amount of time to create the events.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:18:37 AM by Dizturb3d »
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
(I actually came up with an idea, almost the very first day I started to create my game, and I will ask for your permission in a PM later on  ;D)

Huh? =o I'm curious now! xD
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Wow, do I know burnout. It's not that I'll NEVER finish, I will- just not on anything resembling a schedule. I think the problem was that I took on a really big idea that had to be just so, and I was (read:am) kind of not good with RGSS or switching. Sure you can muddle through, but it's a royal pain.

I've been working on my game since 2009, buddy. One day I will release it, even though I started the project for someone who is no longer a human being to me... but I'm in too far to back out.

I think the next game I work on will be MUCH shorter, possibly even released before my main project. It's a lot easier to make a series of games rather than on huge one that spans several hundred hours of play. Hell, I got a demo game for a tutorial done in a day...
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
And I can see what you mean, just finishing a final product is the reason Im really working on the project.. Like I said early on when joining here, Its been kind of a small "dream" for me to fully finish a self-made game.

This, besides me loving my own game (and my friends liking it as well so far), is what keeps me want to finish it. For someone who loves games, being able to say I have created my very own, complete and polished, game is sort of a dream, lol..:lol:

I've been working on my game since 2009, buddy. One day I will release it, even though I started the project for someone who is no longer a human being to me... but I'm in too far to back out.

Lol, doesn't beat my project. I checked, and I started my 'game' back in 2007.:lol: That was before I considered it a real project or game, though.
And now I'm curious as to what happened to your partner, but it sounds kind of sad.=/
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

Rep:
Level 55
Infected with the sickness.
This, besides me loving my own game (and my friends liking it as well so far), is what keeps me want to finish it. For someone who loves games, being able to say I have created my very own, complete and polished, game is sort of a dream, lol..:lol:

I couldn't have said it better myself  ;D

Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Just been thinking about this again lately. I noticed with myself that I get more motivated to work on my game when I have a fairly clear idea of what I want to make next, and how I want to make it. If I'm too uncertain about a lot of factors for the next thing I should be making it puts me off, because it fills up my head with chaos and pushes me away from my project. This often happens after I finish a major part of my game, and have to start from scratch on another major part that I may not have thought out so well yet.
On the other hand, if I have the next bits completely planned out already, it takes away the excitement of actually working on it and gives me less that feeling of freedom creating it. Or I get very impatient with it, and just want it exactly the way I have it all planned out in my head already.
I guess for me, I need a healthy dose of inspiration and different ideas on how to tackle the next part of my game. Having too little makes my head hurt trying to come up with all the things I need to make. Having too much just makes the gamemaking boring.

Final note: No, I haven't gone on another break from my game again. In fact, I'm making good progress, and am on my way to finally finishing it.
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!