RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I have a problem when making my game

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
I first started working on my "game" years ago, it was a test map for a huge and epic game (cliché, I know) I had planned. But since I had pretty much 0% skill with switches and events I made a test game to play around with this kind of stuff. Well, not much later I had more fun expanding my test game than wanting to continue on my original project, although I abandoned the project still. Some years later I went back to my test game and worked on it for a while, making good progress, posting a demo on these forums etc.

Then I had a complete burn-out from working on my game, and left the project for a full year. Then I worked on it for a bit again, left it again. Now I'm back at my project again, but I'm not sure if I can finish it in one go before suffering another burn-out / need for a long break. I don't want to take 5 years to finish my game, though. :-[ I could probably finish it in a few months if I'd keep my focus on it. I mean, my game isn't huge, or big even, it's not like I'm expecting a 50-hour long game from myself. I'd be happy if I manage to create a game with 1-2 hours of gameplay.

Anyone else have this same problem when making games? Suffering from a burn-out and having to take long breaks to get back to your projects? Is there anything that could possibly help?
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
Everyone... Actually Everyone hates me :)
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
I ran into that problem when working on my first few games, They are incomplete and also can be found in these forums. but what it really takes is a story or plot that your mind can really dedicate to, not just some large planning and Eventing know how. But it does help to have the know how. Your project may not be suited for you though you do like the idea of it, you could possibly trade it off with another member for them to work on it while you begin working on newer things that are more suited to you now.

And no i'm not saying give up, a few people might say that, but their the same people who expect they'll be running things within a week of a new job. It really takes finding the Motivation and devotion to your story or plot. and if starting with either of those doesn't help try starting by making a character with a short biography to work from.
Final Statement: I chowder5lock am a dipshit and MA is a pretty cool dude.

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
The thing is, I really do love my game. I wouldn't want to trade it for anything else, and I never feel it's not worth finishing. I really do want to finish my game some time, and I know I will (just likely to be not any time soon).
And I doubt anyone else would want to work on my game. I have browsed some through the project forums and couldn't find anything that comes even close to the type of game I'm making (lol). It's basically a game without a main story (focus is on several different quest chains instead) and no combat whatsoever (I know).

Even with knowing what I want to make, there's always that moment I suddenly lose the motivation to stop working on it, and have to take a very long break from it. Not because I dislike my game, but I don't really know why.

Enough about my game. Tell me some about your games? What were you first games like? And what made your other game that you actually finished so much different? Lol, I'm curious.=P

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
My first game was in XP and i actually started it during my Trial run with the program. Its original name was Heroes of Koku, then later changed to Chaos Hero it was my second post on the forums. I gave up on it and later handed it off to someone who asked if they could continue to work on it themselves.

My second project, though i have no forum post for it is Kingdom of secrets for RMVX i started it after i purchased the program and it came further along than Chaos Hero, my original intent on it was a pirate theme type of game, and it started as a sort of testing of the program. it had led to my abandoning of Chaos Hero.

My third project was Dancing Saria for RMVX, I had allot of development on it and i truly wanted to finish it but i saved one day at the same time my computer completely shut down and all of the data became corrupt. i had to end it unfortunately.

My Fourth project is Sholl, I started it and got somewhat into it, it's also a VX game. i have no official topic for it though and i'm trading it off to whomever will take it.

My fifth Project is Any Piece, I had some plans for it but i'm going to trade it off to whomever will take it now too. It's not exactly becoming what i had hoped for it and i lost track of where i was taking the story. its in VX Ace

My sixth Project is War Cry which is a concept game in VX Ace which is coming along well, i'm making it with a group as well.

My seventh Project is a side project in Ace which i'm calling Mystic of Hunters. its coming along too, and i plan for a small project Topic for it sometime between this January or February.

Its a pain, but you just have to find something that suits yourself well and try not to work it all in at one time or you'll continue your current cycle.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
I also suffer from major burn-out problems when making a game...I think I've only finished 2 games total, one of which wasn't actually an RPG Maker game. =o I've noticed what makes me burn-out is that I put waaay too much effort into certain aspects of the game and it becomes more work than fun. Namely, when it comes to features, I try to make my game as unique as possible, and I end up crashing with all the scripts and tidbits I set up. ;9 I'm trying to aim small now, sticking to short-but-sweet games and knowing my boundaries.

I'm just going to cover whatever I actually got a noteworthy amount of gameplay in, because I've made so many games that didn't even go anywhere at all. ;9

*Okay, I say my first game was a VX game, but that's a lie. I played around with RPG Maker 3 on the ps2 way back when.

Spoiler for Notable VX Games:
My first game was a VX game, "Boot's Adventure". I wasn't serious on it, and that's probably why the game ended up actually having more than an hour of gameplay. It was a story of some kid that gets teleported (through his fireplace) to a magical world. Boot just wants to return home, so he embarks on a quest to find the scumbag that caused it. The game consists of my family members as characters.

My second game was "Paladin", a cliche game about a girl who discovers she is the heir to a holy bloodline and needs to use it to defeat the bad kingdom that killed her kingdom. :( Probably the most cliche thing ever lol

Third, I had this game about a girl who lived in a castle (with every other magic user). The castle is at war with a kingdom of beast-like people. One day, she uses her better judgement to free the captured soul of a beast man and they become fugitives (or something). Not a very well thought out game.

Then at some point, I revamped my Paladin game into "The Lady Paladin", a Fire Emblem game hack (not RPG Maker). I actually completed this. Story is still somewhat cliche, but the twists added to the story made it something that I'm still proud of.

Then, my most depressing burnout was "Seeker". I had high hopes for this game, but ended up biting off more than I could chew. I'm still considering going back to this, only in VXA. The basic story was going to unfold as the game progressed, but basically it's about a guy who has the ability to see other people's memories, while at the same time, he has lost his own memories. Yeah, that's a neat way to put it, I guess. xD

Spoiler for Notable VXA Games:
Well, of course, there's my first VXA game: Major Arcana. I've been in an on-and-off relationship with this game. It started out as a Game In A Week contestant, but it's progressed beyond that. I'm really just trying to keep this one above sinking level, because I really do like the game. It was my first shared game on RMRK, too. The story is about a young man who's fate becomes tied with a magical set of cards. Pretty much, he has to collect each card and live through the event on the card in his own life, or else the events of his life will cease to move forward.

While my computer was dead, I did a remake of Boot's Adventure on my sister's computer. I didn't get very far, but it was kinda fun. This time, Boot is the sole survivor of a tribe that mysteriously vanished.

Then, there's my other complete game: Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout. It's a fan game of the Phoenix Wright games, and another Game In A Week participant. It was a lot of fun to make. xD

Finally, there's this game I've been working on a bit (I'm not cheating on Major Arcana, I promise). I'm not sure what to name it, but "Black-Lit Night" is the title so far. I don't have the story 100% sketched out, but it's going to be a little more dramatic, dark, and mature. By that, I mean the main character is going to be a 30ish-year-old, cynical father.
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore

Well, of course, there's my first VXA game: Major Arcana. I've been in an on-and-off relationship with this game. It started out as a Game In A Week contestant, but it's progressed beyond that. I'm really just trying to keep this one above sinking level, because I really do like the game. It was my first shared game on RMRK, too. The story is about a young man who's fate becomes tied with a magical set of cards. Pretty much, he has to collect each card and live through the event on the card in his own life, or else the events of his life will cease to move forward.

If your having some inspiration or motivation troubles think of the game alone.
now add one completely random, maybe fun, thing to add into the game.
Add a small set of Easter eggs like a custom music choice menu to change the music of the game at characters will, with the script call to turn it off for major events of course.
Then maybe that will help out, and i did love Haunted GIAW btw.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
That's definitely a good idea! B) The problem is that I'm in the middle of a cave/near boss fight scene, so...not much ways to go except to the boss. D: Although it was a lot of fun to reintroduce some of the demo characters who left for a bit. d: And some new characters spruced it up a bit. Major Arcana is just...a long, long road for a game. I'm trying to cut back on how much time I spend on it lol. D:

I did love Haunted GIAW btw.

Thank you! xD Wait...you meant Haunted Turnabout, right? d:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
yeah, i think games like that suit you a little better, though i haven't tried your others i have read over the topics and reviews.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The only other one I have up is Major Arcana, haha. d: It was no first place winner, but after I spruced it up (and bug tested lol), I got more positive reviews over it. xD

I like making any game with a heavy character-based emphasis. o.o
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Wow, you guys have a ton of abandoned projects, lol.xD Makes me feel a bit better about myself. My very very very first game was like 10 years ago, but somehow the data got corrupt and it became unplayable. It's kind of hard to judge because it's mostly memories and a feeling of nostalgia, but I think it the game was pretty cool (with horrible mapping, though), but I know I would never have finished it anyway. I had planned it to be way too huge (like a lot of newcomers seem to do), and I hadn't established a real style for myself yet back then.
Then I took like a 6 year or so break from game making before I started on the project mentioned in my first post.

I like making any game with a heavy character-based emphasis. o.o

Same.=P I find working with characters a lot more fun than coming up with a big, epic story. I tried a bit of that in my original project, but I ended up focused way more on the relationship between my main characters, and giving more depth to NPC's in the world.
Lol, which is why my current project does not have a main story at all. It's just the main character living in a town, interacting with people, and then random stuff happens.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:11:27 PM by Milennin »

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
I usually start by making characters first and thinking how i could make a world to surround them. then progress into whatever sounds good to make a story.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Same here. Although, sometimes I come up with ideas first. It depends on when they randomly decide to hit me. >_>

Of course, another reoccurring problem that I've seen (especially for newer members) is getting ideas/games noticed. It's tough, unless you've got a drop-dead gorgeous game from the get-go, or draws attention in some other way. ;9
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Of course, another reoccurring problem that I've seen (especially for newer members) is getting ideas/games noticed. It's tough, unless you've got a drop-dead gorgeous game from the get-go, or draws attention in some other way. ;9

I wouldn't know since I'm pretty new here, but that would kind of suck. Of course I make my game mostly for myself and some friends, but it would be nice to get some attention outside that once I actually finish it. But well, it's only a RM2K project, I doubt that's gonna draw much attention when there's so much more advanced stuff these days.

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
Well when you get done with that project might i suggest looking through RMVX Ace Lite, its an unlimited evaluation copy of the program, your restricted on most thing in the database, and your only limited to preset scripts, but overall it would still work the same

And if you'd like i may be able to help if you need any, but no guarantees my specialties are in VX-VXA mapping.

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Well when you get done with that project might i suggest looking through RMVX Ace Lite, its an unlimited evaluation copy of the program, your restricted on most thing in the database, and your only limited to preset scripts, but overall it would still work the same

And if you'd like i may be able to help if you need any, but no guarantees my specialties are in VX-VXA mapping.

Thanks for the offer.
I was thinking of maybe doing a sequel to my game when I finish it. But it would depend on if people actually like my first game and the characters in it. I've been thinking a bit how I would handle a sequel for my game, but it would definitely be totally different to the first game. It'd be closer to a classic fantasy RPG and I'd try to include a combat system.
But well, that may still be years off if I continue to suffer from long burn-outs before I finish my game, if not maybe in a few months.=P

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
If your thinking on sequels then you should give your game an open Ending. if you close off the game completely a sequal would be out of place and hard to explain, a good example of an open ending is in WitchTooth Hiromu is working on the sequel and it really takes advantage of his open ending to WitchTooth.

But anyway, you have to plan for the possibility of a sequel at all times during game making, some people just go for the single hits, some go for series, and some are just so good they don't even plan for what to do after they finish and leave the ending open by accident. But planning it truly does help.

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
If your thinking on sequels then you should give your game an open Ending. if you close off the game completely a sequal would be out of place and hard to explain, a good example of an open ending is in WitchTooth Hiromu is working on the sequel and it really takes advantage of his open ending to WitchTooth.

But anyway, you have to plan for the possibility of a sequel at all times during game making, some people just go for the single hits, some go for series, and some are just so good they don't even plan for what to do after they finish and leave the ending open by accident. But planning it truly does help.

You're right. I have been thinking of how I want my 1st game to end, and I have the idea down for it. I think it'll be really cool if I manage to make it the way I want it through the use of cutscenes, and would create a very open (yet, hopefully satisfying) ending to my game.

Basically I aim the ending to be a true ending to the first game, not leaving the player with that empty of feeling of "oh, that's it?", but instead create a scene that could leave the player wondering what my characters are going to do in their future adventure.

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
I look forward to seeing it, if it's not too much to ask would you mind posting your game in the WarCry forum too?

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
I look forward to seeing it, if it's not too much to ask would you mind posting your game in the WarCry forum too?

Lol, sure. :lol:
That's the forums you own?

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore

Lol, sure. :lol:
That's the forums you own?

Yeah sort of, the link is actually my signature picture, but its only if you don't mind of course

Rep:
Level 55
Infected with the sickness.
I have the same problem with the project Im working on..
But my burn-outs appear when I start questioning myself a bit too much. Things like "Is this really good enough?", "People wont play my game anyway, because there are so much better things out there", when stuff like that comes up I happen to get really discouraged and just drop it for awhile.

I think I have done the same mistake as most newcomers aswell, in thinking about something grand and try to push it to the limit. And when things doesnt turn out the way I want them, It brings me down a bit too. Another thing that eats me up a bit, is the time consumed in making the project. Eventing things now takes alot of time, cause you need to find a way to make it work, and Its alot of errors before you make it right..

I think another problem is just like yuyu said, Its really hard to get people to notice your game when you are new. Atleast thats my experience, but it might just be that my game is not good enough, Im not sure.

The biggest issue I have though, is questioning myself about the quality of the game every time I make anything at all. Its really hard to keep working on something when you know there are projects out there that is 300% better than your own  ;9
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:21:46 AM by Dizturb3d »
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
Its really hard to keep working on something when you know there are projects out there that is 300% better than your own  ;9

You really don't know that unless you post a demo and see peoples thoughts

This however is a problem, and giving such time to making a game then getting people to notice, i really didn't have that problem at first, but after a while i obtained it. the most you could really do in this situation is bump the topic and post your game on other forums to see if anyone there takes notice.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, I'm working on a solution that will hopefully boost up the activity for newer member's games. :) I believe I told Diz about it. xD I'll see if the ball can get rolling sometime, because I'm seeing a lot of newer members wanting to make games, so it's a good time to try and spark some creative juices and interest. :ma:

The bigest issue I have though, is questioning myself about the quality of the game every time I make anything at all. Its really hard to keep working on something when you know there are projects out there that is 300% better than your own  ;9

You really shouldn't be discouraged about that. :) When you make games, you get better at making them. xD And, well, the feeling of accomplishing and finishing them is the real cupcake, not necessarily the fame. xD Hell, I spent a long time on one of my completed games, and I didn't even publicly release it. It was nice enough just to have a few friends play it! (I mean, it's not very easy to publicly release a game hack, either way...*mumbles*)

Also, Diz, once you get a demo up, I'm going to try out your game and give you some feedback. ;o It looks good!

Don't be afraid to ask for help, guys! xD Either advice, or picking up a team. Teams can do much more than one person. :)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
Don't be afraid to ask for help, guys! xD Either advice, or picking up a team. Teams can do much more than one person. :)

This is true!

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
The bigest issue I have though, is questioning myself about the quality of the game every time I make anything at all. Its really hard to keep working on something when you know there are projects out there that is 300% better than your own  ;9

It's not so much an issue for me, but I agree that when I look at other people's projects I see much greater stuff than I could ever do. Like, should I even bother posting my game when it's finished when there's so many better games to play out there? Of course I will, but I always doubt if people will like my game at all. Lol.

I do agree with burn-outs having to do with the amount of time that goes into a project. I spend ages to get even a single minute of polished gameplay, I guess it has to do with being inexperienced, but I constantly have to test, fix, test, fix, test, fix some more, which eats up tons of time and patience.

Hell, I spent a long time on one of my completed games, and I didn't even publicly release it. It was nice enough just to have a few friends play it! (I mean, it's not very easy to publicly release a game hack, either way...*mumbles*)

Lol, if your friends enjoyed those games, you might as well release them to the public? You've got nothing to lose.:lol: