RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA][Demo] The Secrets Of Kankara [UPDATED]

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
The Secrets of Kankara is a project that has been in development for 3 years. It started out on RMXP, but is now on RMVX Ace. It uses a number of scripts, but the primary one is XAS Ace Edition.
The backstory is, an evil court mage is attempting to release an evil into the world from Tenebris (the dimension of shadow and corruption). The main character is the grandson of a former court mage who is trying to stop it from happening. The main character sets off on his adventure after he hears a plea for help echo in his mind.

Screenshots:

Gameplay Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW1S_BZa5uU (sorry about the link, it won't let me embed anything, it only displays text)

Demo Link:

Mediafire Download (the file is 282MB because the RTP is included, the final version will be minimized by excluding unused files)- I've updated the demo to v1.0, the change list is as follows:

• Full time and weather system (time moves at a pace and effects things like shop openings, events that occur only at night, etc., weather will change on it's own depending on where the player is)
  • Item creation (the player will have to craft some of the items used in game, using materials that are often dropped by enemies, bushes, etc.)
After having dealt with RMXP's problematic nature first-hand, I have moved the project over to Ace permanently. The XP version will remain unfinished, and that version has been abandoned. The Ace version however, will continue to be developed.

Credits are too long to list here, however there are credits at the end of the demo.

This game tends to be process heavy because of some screen effects. It will likely not impede running programs, but other programs will interfere with the game's frame rate. It is highly recommended that you play it with no other programs open.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:41:04 PM by Jaden »
Check out

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
 :pacman: well this has received a lot of attentionsarcasm

At this point I'm wondering if it's even worth continuing let alone completing. complete fail
Check out

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Sorry, I haven't really had an opportunity to try your game, but I am sure that some others have enjoyed it. Not everyone who uses or plays something gives feedback. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact.

As to whether you should continue making the game, I think that depends on your motive for making it. If you are having fun making the game, then whether or not anyone plays it should be irrelevant. After all, there are plenty of other games which you play even though the whole world doesn't see how good you are at it, and that doesn't mean that it isn't fun to play. RPG Maker is no exception. While it allows you to make games that others can play, it is first and foremost a game in its own right. If you're having fun playing it, then why stop?

If, on the other hand, you are overtaken by a sense of dread every time you open the program, but persist in the hope that it will win you acclaim from strangers on the internet, then you should probably stop making it. Because that's not fun.

Don't get me wrong, watching other people play your game and have fun is also a good feeling and it is perfectly legitimate for you to pursue it. However, it is also an uncertain reward for hours of hard work. If making your RPG is not fun in and of itself, then I believe the fun of watching other people play your game is too distant and uncertain a reward to pursue. However, if you're having fun with the program itself, then the fact you aren't gaining the additional perk of feedback is no reason to stop.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
That's not really a good attitude to have towards game making, don't feel like giving up because other developers aren't giving you much attention; not forgetting the fact that XP is generally ignored (either because it has problems or no one has the RTP anymore, I don't know).

If you want me to play your game, I will with the following conditions:
A) You wait until I get around to it.
B) I get to Lets Play it, I don't like writing walls of text to review other peoples stuff because I often forget things that way.

Edit: Modern Ninja'd me :yuyu:
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
Thank you both for replying, you both are correct, I need to have a better outlook on it. I do enjoy making them and I wish I could be better at making them (especially storyline cause I've never been totally satisfied with the one I have in the game so far). I guess it's a matter of patience as well as other things.
Check out

Rep:
Level 57
RPG VX - Project Moonhunter
Just keep posting information, mate. I've been working on my game Moonhunter a while now, and it feels I mostly talk to myself  :lol:  But I use this forum as a log too, and show small steps of completion when I changed something noteworthy. As you know, most work is tedious...

If I get a chance I will download the demo today. The two screenshots look nice and crisp, in any case. Can't open youtube at work, as internet crawls here. I like it you try for original story and characters; it intrigues me more than yet another final fantasy fan game.  ;)

My project:

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
Just keep posting information, mate. I've been working on my game Moonhunter a while now, and it feels I mostly talk to myself  :lol:  But I use this forum as a log too, and show small steps of completion when I changed something noteworthy. As you know, most work is tedious...

If I get a chance I will download the demo today. The two screenshots look nice and crisp, in any case. Can't open youtube at work, as internet crawls here. I like it you try for original story and characters; it intrigues me more than yet another final fantasy fan game.  ;)

That's a good idea (posting info).
Right now I'm working on dungeon B and the areas that go up to it. I've also started to do an overworld map log (so I can keep track of map positions), that way it'll be more believable.
Check out

Rep:
Level 57
I've downloaded the massive 300MB+ game now - What's all that size for anyway? - but there's a snag.

The first problem was a missing .dll file; RGSS104E. Easily fixed when you download it and put it in the game folder.

The second problem is that the game says the RGSS-RTP is not found. There can be numerous reasons for this when I googled it. I do not use RPG maker XP, and am not really interested in trying to find the RTP myself. If you've included it in the game, or don't use them, perhaps you should change some settings.

My project:

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
I've downloaded the massive 300MB+ game now - What's all that size for anyway? - but there's a snag.

The first problem was a missing .dll file; RGSS104E. Easily fixed when you download it and put it in the game folder.

The second problem is that the game says the RGSS-RTP is not found. There can be numerous reasons for this when I googled it. I do not use RPG maker XP, and am not really interested in trying to find the RTP myself. If you've included it in the game, or don't use them, perhaps you should change some settings.

The large size is mainly audio, unfortunately I can't do much about that aspect of it.
With the RTP, you can download rmxp and install the RTP with it's intaller located Here, which is a link to a site that is provided here at rmrk in the downloads area.

I apologize for that error everyone, I thought I included the installer with the game though at the time I was making so many last minute changes it likely slipped my mind. I'll post in the original post about the RTP link so that won't be a future problem.
Check out

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Eh, you dumped everything into 2 .zip files, that's not how it's supposed to work. Where are the folders? The game doesn't work without putting your stuff in folders. I could do it manually, but honestly I don't feel like sorting out what's supposed to go where.
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

Rep:
Level 57
to Milennin: unzip the first of the 2 .rar files in a separate folder, and it will automatically unrar properly. It did for me, anyway.

I played through the demo, Jaden, and quite enjoyed myself. Feedback:
Spoiler for:
I found myself trying to destroy objects and shrubs with the hammer and sword everywhere, and although it keeps me entertained, I was hoping to find some items or gold after trimming the yard. I found the archers in prison entertaining, although it begs the question why they were captured with their bows. I very much liked the underwater well, although the water under water is still strange, even after your explanation in-game. The candles were also, eh, quite a unique sight there.

Gameplay is just fine. It takes little effort to get used to, and I am glad there aren't any tutorials. It's nice to find stuff out yourself. I think you get items very quickly though, especially the spell early on, making the sword obsolete in terms of range and attack power. The shield is a very handy addition, and works perfectly. As I said before, trying to destroy blocks and shrubs is neat.
Enemies are easy, so far. The fish and blob boss have easy patterns they fall into, and standing still, blocking, then using the spell makes it a breeze. Perhaps you should introduce the spell later on, making the fights less ranged, and more challenging.

Story... well, it's about gems and world domination, so not the strongest point. But that doesn't matter, because you don't spend too much time on this - you let the player jump right into the action again.

Visually the game looks nice - especially the outside. Some houses are quite empty and large, with little of interest there. The underwater effect works well.

Music is nice, and works well for the environments. - I take it you use .wav? I can't imagine the file size to be that huge with MP3. Also, the protagonist's "hmm" sound made me laugh  :) .

It's a neat start of something with a lot of potential. Although the pace is quite fast, and you gain usable items sooner than you can use them, the game didn't bore me, or drag story wise. Truthfully, it was a shame when the demo ended, for after the boss I felt ready to keep kicking ass  :)
My project:

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
to Milennin: unzip the first of the 2 .rar files in a separate folder, and it will automatically unrar properly. It did for me, anyway.

Ok, I unzipped the first file. Downloaded the RGSS104E.dll file, downloaded the XP RTP, but now I get an error that says "Failed to load script." when starting the game.

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.

Ok, I unzipped the first file. Downloaded the RGSS104E.dll file, downloaded the XP RTP, but now I get an error that says "Failed to load script." when starting the game.

That's odd, does it say which script?

I've noticed also that when running the game it's best to not have any other programs open, since it takes a bit of processing power (don't know why).
Check out

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.

I played through the demo, Jaden, and quite enjoyed myself. Feedback:
Spoiler for:
I found myself trying to destroy objects and shrubs with the hammer and sword everywhere, and although it keeps me entertained, I was hoping to find some items or gold after trimming the yard. I found the archers in prison entertaining, although it begs the question why they were captured with their bows. I very much liked the underwater well, although the water under water is still strange, even after your explanation in-game. The candles were also, eh, quite a unique sight there.

Gameplay is just fine. It takes little effort to get used to, and I am glad there aren't any tutorials. It's nice to find stuff out yourself. I think you get items very quickly though, especially the spell early on, making the sword obsolete in terms of range and attack power. The shield is a very handy addition, and works perfectly. As I said before, trying to destroy blocks and shrubs is neat.
Enemies are easy, so far. The fish and blob boss have easy patterns they fall into, and standing still, blocking, then using the spell makes it a breeze. Perhaps you should introduce the spell later on, making the fights less ranged, and more challenging.

Story... well, it's about gems and world domination, so not the strongest point. But that doesn't matter, because you don't spend too much time on this - you let the player jump right into the action again.

Visually the game looks nice - especially the outside. Some houses are quite empty and large, with little of interest there. The underwater effect works well.

Music is nice, and works well for the environments. - I take it you use .wav? I can't imagine the file size to be that huge with MP3. Also, the protagonist's "hmm" sound made me laugh  :) .

It's a neat start of something with a lot of potential. Although the pace is quite fast, and you gain usable items sooner than you can use them, the game didn't bore me, or drag story wise. Truthfully, it was a shame when the demo ended, for after the boss I felt ready to keep kicking ass  :)

Thank you for the feedback. I felt that some items were added too soon as well, but i figured it was just "creator's perspective" getting in the way. Now that i know it's not just me, I'll work to limit the items a bit. :)
Check out

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
That's odd, does it say which script?

I've noticed also that when running the game it's best to not have any other programs open, since it takes a bit of processing power (don't know why).

This is a screenshot of the error, it shows up when starting the game:
Spoiler for:
I don't have anything heavy running in the background, only Firefox with some tabs and some background programs.

Rep:
Level 55
Infected with the sickness.
I have to say you have done a great job with the trailer, and the game looks like a lot of fun! I can't help to get some Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana), and Zelda feelings when watching it! (Which isn't a bad thing, since they are some of my favourite games). Looking forward to try this out!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:24:21 PM by Dark_Metamorphosis »
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That kind of error usually means the Script data is corrupted. Try just uploading the Scripts.rxdata from your game, then Milennin can take it and replace the one that's currently in Data.

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
That kind of error usually means the Script data is corrupted. Try just uploading the Scripts.rxdata from your game, then Milennin can take it and replace the one that's currently in Data.

I'd think it would effect everyone if that were the case, however I'll upload the data anyway, in case you're correct. I should be able to get that done sometime today.
Check out

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
I've updated the original post with the rxdata download. In my experience, scripts not loading like that are a result of a mixture between system space in the cpu interfering with RMXP's data retrieval and a possible corrupted script, though I haven't run into that with The Secrets of Kankara (I admit I've had my fair share of issues though, such as controls not working, for the same reasons).
Check out

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Downloaded the scripts file, but I still get the same error. I don't know why it keeps doing that. I guess I'll wait till there's a new demo version out, maybe that'll fix it.

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
Downloaded the scripts file, but I still get the same error. I don't know why it keeps doing that. I guess I'll wait till there's a new demo version out, maybe that'll fix it.

You said before you had an internet browser open last time you tried it, was that also the case this time? If so, or if any other programs were running, I recommend closing all open programs and trying again. The reason I say that is because there have been a couple times in other projects that has produced the same error for me and it was because the cpu memory usage was high.
Check out

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Yup, I closed pretty much everything I had open, and I still get the same error.

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
Yup, I closed pretty much everything I had open, and I still get the same error.

That's odd.

It may be from a lack of memory overall then, but I'm not sure.

@Everyone: If anyone else gets this error, please do send me a PM on how much memory you have available on your cpu disc at the time of trying to load the game and what OS you're running, and if you have anything else running (such as an internet browser or other programs not in the background). At the very least, that might help me determine the minimum requirements to run the game properly. I'd do this myself, but I currently run Win7 with over 100 or so GB free at all times so I rarely encounter errors like that. I suspect though, that it may be the controller commands script that was used in the XAS ABS, that's the one that gives me trouble from time to time (freezes, controls sometimes won't work), but only when there are other programs open (or possibly when the memory is low since that would have the same effect, system wise).
Check out

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Windows 7, 4GB RAM, 3.6gHZ, 1.7TB free space. Runs games like Skyrim at highest graphics, so I doubt it's my PC...

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
Windows 7, 4GB RAM, 3.6gHZ, 1.7TB free space. Runs games like Skyrim at highest graphics, so I doubt it's my PC...

Hmm, I'm not sure what else to do in your case then.
Check out