RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
HEY YOU!!! How do I play 3DS "homebrew" games?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Zeich wanted us to get a 3DS so that we could play KH: Dream Drop Distance (fuck you, Square, put all your games on one console instead of five-six), so I went and got a new one for decent price as an early Christmas gift for the both of us using some birthday money. It's still on it's way in the mail, but I figured I'd get a head start in doing some research into playing "homebrew" games off of whatever memory card rather than paying craploads for every game he wants us to play. But, first thing that popped up on Google is an article about how Nintendo has blocked most flash cards altogether in a somewhat recent firmware update. That sucks, because that was the only real idea I had for playing a lot of the stuff I want to.

Does anyone here with a 3DS know a way to play downloaded games regardless of this firmware patch, such as a decent way to jailbreak without bricking the bloody thing or a flash card/cart that actually still works with DS/3DS stuff?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:26:09 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
DSTwo cart. I have one, and it works. You just have to hold off in updating your 3DS firmware until the DSTwo team puts out an updated cart firmware or EOS. Its a lot easier than it sounds. Basically, only update the 3DS firmware when the website tells you when its safe.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
So 3DS updates are optional rather than automatic?

This is supposedly a brand new 3DS, so we'll see whether it already has the update or not. If it's not updated yet, it'll probably be a lot simpler than I think then to play the games, so I'll look into getting the DSTwo cart then.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:00:31 AM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
If you try to play a retail game, it will try to update the system automatically. Just don't do this.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
What do I do though if it's already updated? Is there a way to downgrade?

Rep:
Level 94
Its best just to wait. They're pretty quick with updates go the carts firmware. They release multiple patches every month. The DSTwo has a CPU in the cart that fakes the system into thinking its a legit cart, so you never have to worry about it being permanently blocked.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
You won't be able to play 3DS games off of the DSTwo, though, if that's what you're looking for.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I thought that's what Holk said worked for him, or is that only for normal DS games?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Last I checked there wasn't anything to emulate 3DS games, only DS. (Something about the encryption or whatever I read. Anything can be broken in time though.) I have just about all the DS games I could ever want on my card in my 3DS. This was several months ago and I don't often keep up with this, so it's possible this has changed.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Well damn. That ruins a lot of hopeful plans there. Still, at least I can use it for DS stuff instead. Coincidentally, looking into the DStwo cart, I've seen some people say that it still works even with this new flashcard blocking patch. Anyone know whether this is true or not?

Rep:
Level 94
Its true. Like I said, the dstwo has a CPU in it, so the firmware makes the DS think its a retail cart.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
That's good enough for me then. Thanks for your help, Holk/Chewey/Grafikal. <3

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Okay, so, I got my DStwo cart and a non-upgraded 3DS. I copy the "_dstwo" folder over to the microSD card to install the latest OS version, and put it in the 3DS to boot it up. Icon comes up, looks like I'm gold... and then when I launch it, it comes up with an error telling me to please shut the system down and consult the operation manual. Oh fuck you, 3DS...

Experimentally tried many times with different things, such as with/without a patch already added, with/without the "ds2boot.dat" file, reformating the card to be an empty FAT one before copying the OS back over, but nothing seemed to work. I then tried it on my older DS, whose bottom touchscreen no longer works and isn't worth repairing, and find that the card works just fine on the regular DS. It's just the 3DS that doesn't like it, for some reason.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Rep:
Level 94
You need to find someone with an original DS or dslite and update the cards firmware in that. Also, make sure you download the firmware that has been marked as "safe" for the 3ds. Its near the top of the page.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I do have an original DS, and I did in fact update the firmware via it. But maybe it's not the "safe" version you are referring to. I'll check again.

Edit: Nope, it's all as it should be. DSTWO Eos v1.11_2012-1030, and updated the firmware with version 1.18. Reformatted the whole card to start again from scratch to double-check, stuck it in my original DS, and updated everything properly. Stuck it in the 3DS then, and still the black screen that simply says an error has occurred.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:18:20 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 94
Did you also download the firmware patches, if there were any new ones?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
There was one, and I downloaded and included that one too in the _dstwo folder. Still nothing.

Rep:
Level 94
Let me do some research.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I don't know where I'm going wrong. Made sure it's all properly done and updated on the original DS, even played a game to test it, but on the 3DS it will just come up as an error telling me to press and hold the power button to turn everything off. Following video tutorials exactly and still the same thing.

If it can play on the DS, then obviously it's not a faulty card, but it's not compatible with my 3DS. Is there something not working right in my 3DS perhaps? It shows the icon for it, so it obviously recognizes the connection. It just won't load properly once I try to launch it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:45:48 AM by Zylos »