RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Thinking of turning my project into a commercial one - help/opinions/discussion

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
Damn, muffins are good.
Hello, RMRK! I’m a new member, but I’ve been lurking here since the RMXP days. I dunno, I just like the community, I guess. Well this isn’t the social board, so I’ll cut the introductions and get to the point.

For the past few months I've been working on an RMVXA project called Road to Nowhere. After doing some number crunching and "what ifs" I've decided that I could probably turn it into a commercial project. But the problem is, I've never done this sort of thing before, and there's a few standing issues here that I would love some advice with.
This first post is going to be a big one - so big that I'm splitting up my concerns into categories. So yeah, on with it.

Section 1: Would you even pay for a game like this?!
Spoiler for:
This section is really just to get an opinion on my game. If you want to skip straight to the “help me please” sections, go ahead, I appreciate you simply taking a look at the thread in the first place. Really, this section will be 20 times larger than the other three.

The price I’m aiming for is about $5-$10 USD, but it really depends on how long the project turns out to be once it’s finished. I can say now that it’ll have at least 40 hours of content in it, but I have nothing to back that statement.
This section details what Road to Nowhere is all about. The story, the characters, how it plays, what scripts I'm using, et cetera. This will be a text-only summary of the game, rather than what you'd find in a project thread. When I actually make the project's own topic, you'll get pretty screenshots, in-depth descriptions and all that fun stuff.
This section will probably be extremely long, but hey, anything to get the idea across.

Section 1.1 The View, Tone and Idea
Spoiler for:
The game is meant to be a deconstructive look at JRPG tropes and tendencies.
The game takes place in a western fantasy setting where kingdoms clash, everyone somehow speaks English just fine, and there’s regular usage of magic. However, the world is not frought with mystical monsters (at least, not yet). This is because I find it odd how in so many fantasy RPGs, the land is filled with monsters and most NPCs haven’t a single clue when it comes to fighting them. Characters will have something to fear (beyond just the monsters), and it will work towards motivating the plot and giving the player a reason to continue their journey.

As with any RPG, characters will have special powers and magic and all that fun stuff. However, these powers will be justified and explained. I refuse to give characters unexplained strength simply because they are integral to the game’s plot.

It is also meant to take a different approach to what the common RPG has become. The player will take an objective perspective in the game, and will not be hearing any of the characters’ thoughts. They will not have significant control over the characters’ decisions because it’s the protagonist’s story, not the player’s. This approach is inspired by my view on RPGs that give the player complete control over their character (Fallout, Dragon Age: Origins, Demon’s Souls). I feel as though giving the player full customizeable control takes away from the character itself, making them less interesting. Of course, this also makes the game more engaging and personal for the player, but that’s a conversation for another time. What’s important is that the player must understand that this is not their story - this is the story of RtN’s characters. The four player characters will have ups and downs, pros and cons - and each of them will make decisions that the player may not agree with.

Why do this, you ask? I believe that videogames can teach us a lot about humanity, and just people in general. Loosening the player’s grip on the characters will, in theory, create a more believable, human experience.
Anyway I think this section’s already gone on a little too long, so let’s end that right here.

Section 1.2 The Actual Story and Characters
Spoiler for:
A bit of the story...
The story begins with two mercenaries, Astor and Camila (details on them below here), entering an old military fort to find a man who has hired them as body guards. This man, James Davinport, is a scholar who has been investigating oddities in the local wildlife. However, they find that he is under attack by a strange group of men who appear to be part of a cult. This cult utilizes strange magic which Astor and Camila have never seen before. As it turns out, Davinport has found evidence of the arrival of strange new creatures, which he believes are demons. For an unknown reason, the cult was sent to silence him, and failed due to Astor and Camila’s interception.

The king of Kestonia, King Arrett, refuses to believe Davinport’s discovery. Due to an unlikely attack from the neighbouring kingdom of Thyrston, Kestonia is about to go to war. If they fail to get King Arrett to believe Davinport’s research, the kingdom may not be prepared for the demons’ attack.

The reluctant heroes find themselves mixed between countless threats - from Kestonia’s war, to the cult’s dangerous presence, and the looming demon threat. Only with the power of the people will they be able to keep their kingdom safe.

The Four Protagonists
Astor Myriad is an axe-wielding mercenary who works in the family business, Myriad Mercenaries. He was once a soldier, but he realized that soldiers are simply treated as pawns in someone else’s game, abandoning the kingdom’s cause. He is a relaxed man who lives his life “well enough.” After questioning his faith in the King, Astor’s only allegience is to his family. Gameplay-wise, he is the most balanced, having the largest variety of attack skills while not being a master of anything in particular.

Camila O’Hara is the runaway daughter of a noble Thyrstonian family. She is the most well-educated character of the four, and she is an expert on war and politics. Having been raised by rich, protective parents, Camila is easily excitable and is always eager to try new things, often without much forethought. Gameplay-wise, Camila dominates with her spear, dishing out powerful melee attacks. She also has the best healing spells.

Tevan Balmund is a squire who lived most of his life in the Luminous Citadel, the base of a religious organization that believes in the goddess Lumina. Being the youngest of the group, Tevan is very inexperienced and has many fears. Due to his sheltered growth under the Followers of Lumina, Tevan is very narrow-minded and has little empathy for other peoples’ beliefs. He also has poor social skills, often crudely insulting people without knowing it. Gameplay-wise, Tevan can take heavier damage than the other party members. He utilizes Holy magic and is also the game’s best buffer/debuffer. Wielding a staff, he has the least melee skills, instead utilizing unique status effects.

Vallure is an elven magician and standalone mercenary who is inarguably one of the best in the business. As the oldest, most experienced member of the group, she is very jaded and distrusting. She has attachment issues, adamantly guarding her past and personal life from anyone who would dare ask. She has a twisted view of justice, and usually makes choices on her own accord, rarely asking the group for input before doing something that may jeopardize a person’s life. Gameplay-wise, Vallure mainly utilizes Dark magic and is an expert on inflicting and healing status ailments. Her special sword attacks usually hit more than one target and sometimes inflict ailments and debuffs.

Section 1.3 Gameplay Mechanics
Spoiler for:
Road to Nowhere is admittedly derivative, taking specific inspiration from titles such as Radiata Stories, Mass Effect, Demon’s Souls, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and Resident Evil. This probably sounds weird, so I’ll try and explain it all:

-Radiata Stories mostly takes place in a single city that is bustling with dynamic NPCs that all have schedules and interesting personalities. The city of this game, Keston, won’t be as dynamic as Radiata City, but it will work as a hub that the player will constantly return to, and it will change every time the story progresses. Its citizens will all have their individual personal stories that the player can continuously learn about. Some of them will have their own quest chains that the player can explore.

-Mass Effect’s Power Combo system inspired a similar aspect in RtN. Attack spells have a set percent chance of inflicting certain ailments (Burn, Shock, etc) which will make the target temporarily susceptible to other types of damage. Also, Mass Effect has no grinding in it. RtN will be similar - there won’t be a battle every six seconds, and they’re all evented.

-Demon’s Souls set up the system of “If you’re good enough, you can win.” I want to make sure that all battles are beatable, as long as the player is cunning enough to get through. The fact that the game has no grinding in it makes this all the more important. To help the player understand strategies that do and do not work, they will have the option to take part in mock battles against enemies that they have previously fought.

-SMT3: Nocturne has the Press Turn battle system and has heavy emphasis on the player utilizing elemental affinities. These are features that RtN’s battle system will be using.

-Resident Evil promotes player investigation. I want to give the player incentive for investigating every single notable thing in sight. The player will see unique dialogue just from looking at common objects such as boxes and barrels. There will be items hidden within objects that don’t seem all that special. NPCs and some objects will have multiple responses if the player repeatedly interacts with them.

These inspirations sum up many of RtN’s core mechanics. To list a few more:
-The player’s skills are meant to work from beginning to end. There won’t be any “spell stages” in the game.
-All skills have set cooldowns which are used to prevent the player from repeatedly using the same attacks
-The game primarily utilizes Yanfly Engine Ace, including the Free Turn Battle script.
-The player will have Kread-EX’s Grathnodes Script. While the player won’t have full customization over their characters’ growths and skills, they will be able to add individual effects to their skills at the cost of extra MP.
-There will be no “save traps.” The player will always have the option to return to the city to finish sidequests if they are feeling underpowered.
-As the main characters work in a mercenary company, this will be the primary source of sidequests.
-The game heavily features event scenes - hopefully the characters and plot will be enough to motivate players to reach the end.
-The game will not have a New Game+ feature - however, the mercenary company will open up quests that are essentially the main story quests with buffed, revamped enemies and some extra bonuses in there, such as different dialogue and scenes. After these are finished, the player can replay any of them (albeit with no EXP gain) just because I think more games need features like this.

Section 1.4 Music and Visuals
Spoiler for:
Since I’m choosing to go commercial now, music is really up in the air. I’ll probably be seeing if I can commission certain artists I like - if that doesn’t work out, I’ll figure something out. One artist utilizes DnB combined with altern-rock and orchestral elements, while the other artist is more based in straight-edge orchestral fantasy pieces. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.
I’ll be using the RTP graphics for the most part. Any customized sprites will be made to match the RTP’s style. I’m also using user-generated face edits of the RTP characters, but that’s where some of the licensing issues come in, below...
Did you read all that? If you did, you are an awesome person who deserves a hug which I probably can’t give you.

Section 2: Licensing Issues
Spoiler for:
Here is where my actual commercial issues begin.
So here are a number of graphic sources, in Japanese, whose terms of conditions are unclear to me. I’d like to use their resources but I’m afraid of issues regarding their terms. Three of these artists are from FC2, and the third is just another source that I need help with.
FC2: Closet-Ace: http://closetace.wiki.fc2.com/
FC2: Mr. Dai: http://earth587.blog.fc2.com/
FC2: Relaxed Chillin’: http://momope8.blog67.fc2.com/
VX RTP Emotions from Hdk103-Arch and MACK: http://foryou.opal.ne.jp/sfog/material.html#material   
From what I understand, their policies are “As long as you own VXA, you can use our RTP edits.” However, I am wary of the fourth source. It states that I can use it if I own VX - but what if I only own VXA? Sure, technically VXA comes with the VX RTP faces, but I’m really afraid of legal issues.

Learning how to present licenses and all that is another issue, but I can probably research that on my own.

Section 3: Making the game launch without RMVXA’s RTP
Spoiler for:
I’ve seen a few VX titles that launch as their own application without requiring the player to have the RTP. I haven’t played a commercial RM game, but can you even sell an RM game that requires you to have the RTP? I mean, I guess you could, but... eh, it’s just weird. If I simply choose not to use any RTP files (or if I simply copy/paste them into the game folder with different names), can I simply use the Compress Game Data option and be done with it? I doubt there’s any single application that will magically turn my RMVXA project into a standalone program, but any advice on this would be appreciated.

Section 4: Any thoughts on the success of commercial RPG Maker titles?
Spoiler for:
I’ve never bought a commercial RM game before, and I haven’t really heard much about them. I’ve seen them, but was never interested in any that I saw. I’m going to price mine low because I really just want to break even - like, if I spend $500, then selling a $5 game to 100 people would do me justice. But, I can’t even tell if I’d reach 100 people. What are your opinions on commercial RM titles? With a simple game like mine, is it even worth the trouble?

Anyway, I know this is a lot of information that I’m asking about, but I want to make sure I have everything figured out before I turn my game into a commercial project. I’m a student with a part-time job at minimum wage, so I’m being extra cautious about where this is going.

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
I can say now that it’ll have at least 40 hours of content in it, but I have nothing to back that statement.

Try not fall into the mental trap of forcing yourself to offer a fixed amount of playable hours. Do not aim for 'epic'. Instead, aim for completion of the story and/or ideas. If everything you set out to accomplish has been completed, then you are finished. Even small games can make sizable and lasting impressions.

Anyway, I am meandering off-topic, so I shall cut my warning and rant short right there.

Section 1.4 Music and Visuals
Since I’m choosing to go commercial now, music is really up in the air. I’ll probably be seeing if I can commission certain artists I like - if that doesn’t work out, I’ll figure something out. One artist utilizes DnB combined with altern-rock and orchestral elements, while the other artist is more based in straight-edge orchestral fantasy pieces. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.
I’ll be using the RTP graphics for the most part. Any customized sprites will be made to match the RTP’s style. I’m also using user-generated face edits of the RTP characters, but that’s where some of the licensing issues come in, below...
I’ve never bought a commercial RM game before, and I haven’t really heard much about them. I’ve seen them, but was never interested in any that I saw. I’m going to price mine low because I really just want to break even - like, if I spend $500, then selling a $5 game to 100 people would do me justice. But, I can’t even tell if I’d reach 100 people. What are your opinions on commercial RM titles? With a simple game like mine, is it even worth the trouble?

Try not to spend any money at all when you start out. Creating a game on the scale that you are attempting is a rather large undertaking, especially if you are the only one working on the project. I have seen games stagnate and vanish after the creator found that the task was too large, overly complex and/or simply no longer had the time to devote to production.

If you absolutely require music to sculpt the surroundings of the world, use any song that matches the environment and keeps you enthusiastic about the area or scene. Later on in production, if you feel that the task of creating the game is not too difficult to see to completion, then commission someone to create a sound track. In this way, the artist will have a scene reference, graphical reference and musical reference to draw inspiration from to create something original.

So far, I have never played a RM game that I would desire to pay over five dollars for. But, to be honest, I have not played all that many commercial demonstrations. I do not personally know anyone who has purchased a RM game, either.

My advice is to utilize the RTP as much as possible to cut down costs and licensing dilemmas. Not to say that including free content is a terrible idea or all that overly complex in most cases, but there are many combinations, edits, re-colors and fresh content that you can introduce just with the RTP tiles, sprites and faces alone.
Spoiler for Personal RTP Edits:

Section 3: Making the game launch without RMVXA’s RTP
I’ve seen a few VX titles that launch as their own application without requiring the player to have the RTP. I haven’t played a commercial RM game, but can you even sell an RM game that requires you to have the RTP? I mean, I guess you could, but... eh, it’s just weird. If I simply choose not to use any RTP files (or if I simply copy/paste them into the game folder with different names), can I simply use the Compress Game Data option and be done with it? I doubt there’s any single application that will magically turn my RMVXA project into a standalone program, but any advice on this would be appreciated.

Creating a project which is not tied to using RMVXA RTP is actually quite easy to accomplish. Once you are ready to publish, simply verify that you have imported all of the RTP files that you are currently using into your graphics and audio folder. Also, make certain that you copy the fonts folder from the RTP directory, as well. After you have completed those steps, open the 'game.ini' file within the root of the game directory and remove the line dealing with RTP selection. It should be noted that each time you test play your project, the RTP line is re-added within the 'game.ini' file, so always remember to check before publishing. Following that edit, play through the game to see if any error messages crop up concerning missing files. If there are any files missing, copy them over.

To tighten my control of what enters my project in the first place, I open the database and remove everything (actors, items, animations, tilesets and so on) by clicking on the 'Change Maximum' button and setting the value to one before right clicking on the only remaining entry and selecting the 'clear' option. I also change the target for animations to 'none' and remove all sound effects and title screen music. This gives me a nice, clean project to start with. If I really need an animation, I simply open a new project, copy and paste the animation into my project and make sure to import any RTP files used therein into my project folder. The same is true if I want to use a certain RTP tileset, class and so on.

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Damn, muffins are good.
About the size of the game - yeah, I've layed out everything I want inside of it, and once that's done, I'll consider it finished regardless of whether it's "large" enough.
Worrying about music after the game's finished is actually a great idea. I never thought of it that way.
Utilizing the RTP to such an extent is what I'm going for - at least, for now. It might not have everything I need, but it gives me enough content to work off of. Though I haven't made any edits as extreme as the examples you posted.
Glad that RTP-less launching is so simple. Now my only concern is about the font - I'm guessing I can just include the font's installer file with the game in case the player doesn't have it? Unless there's an issue with that, being a commercial game and all. Ah whatever, I'll do my own research on that when the time comes.

Been looking at other RM projects lately and I'm not completely sure mine's worth selling anymore. Like, I didn't start making it with money in mind, and working around legality and publishing and whatnot might turn the project into something I didn't intend for it to be.
If I were to use licensed material in a non-commercial game, would it be illegal for me to ask for donations on the side - like, "if you like what I've done and you want to show your appreciation..."

Thanks for the input, Exhydra.

© 2012 chapman productions inc
Rep:
Level 55
=O
I'm pretty sure donating isn't paying for it so I would say its legal. Thats what everyone else does.

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Glad that RTP-less launching is so simple. Now my only concern is about the font - I'm guessing I can just include the font's installer file with the game in case the player doesn't have it? Unless there's an issue with that, being a commercial game and all. Ah whatever, I'll do my own research on that when the time comes.

There is no need to install the font into the system that the game is being run on. VX and VXA load the font file for usage within the game itself (minor script change required), so no need to worry about any installation. Just make certain that the licence for the font allows for commercial use, basically.

Been looking at other RM projects lately and I'm not completely sure mine's worth selling anymore. Like, I didn't start making it with money in mind, and working around legality and publishing and whatnot might turn the project into something I didn't intend for it to be.
If I were to use licensed material in a non-commercial game, would it be illegal for me to ask for donations on the side - like, "if you like what I've done and you want to show your appreciation..."

Concerning donations and licensed material, you would be receiving money while using material you have not received adequate permission to use. Therefore, not advisable.

But, do not get discouraged with all of the copyright red tape. Starting production of the game simply as a hobby, then shifting toward something commercial could certainly work out. So do not completely write off the prospect.

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Damn, muffins are good.
Alright, I'll probably just keep making the game as I've been doing this whole time, and then worry about commercial stuff resources later on - luckily, the scripts that I'm using allow me to use them commercially, free of charge. Thus, the actual important aspects of what makes this game, well, a game will be the same regardless of the content I end up using.
So I'll probably end up just making it free to play, and mention donations as well. That way, the project can stay true to how it was originally intended to be, and I can also reach a broader audience.
Thanks for the information!