RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Script Seminar

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Script Seminar

Apologia

This is not meant to be a class with an instructor, but is instead intended to be a way for scripters to invite feedback and constructive criticism on their scripts. It arises out of several concerns that I have. The first is that I feel like I've been stagnating as a scripter and that my scripts really aren't improving much in quality anymore. The second is that I am reluctant to comment on anyone else's script even if I see room for improvement, since (a) I have no training in programming at all, so my comments are liable to be wrong; and (b) I am always so happy to see other scripts up that I am afraid that if I am too critical the other scripter might be discouraged.

I detect a connection between these problems, and this is why I am creating this topic. On RMRK, there is a tradition of permitting even harsh criticism about our RM projects so long as it is constructive, and that is how we all improve as game creators. It seems to me anomalous that we do not apply the same standard to improve the quality of our scripts. As such, I think it would help to have a place where a scripter is able to request that same level of criticism, and hence the creation of this subforum.

Implementation

Spoiler for Explanation of the idea:
I am hoping that the way this will work is that a scripter will submit a link to his or her script on RMRK by posting in this topic or creating a criticism thread, which will then be added to the queue for discussion. The top script will be selected for discussion, in which every scripter is invited to review the submitted script and either make suggestions for improvement or to ask questions about the way the script is structured. Comments are not limited to the code, but can also extend to the graphical design of a scene or the customizability of it for non-scripters.

Feedback goes two ways, and the scripter whose script is being reviewed is also expected to help his or her interlocutors when they see something about which they want to know more. No question or criticism should be out of bounds, but malice of any kind will not be permitted. Purely positive reviews of the script are permitted, but the scripter who participates in this should not expect only positive comments; this is not meant to be a way for a scripter to solicit praise. Rather, a script should only be submitted if a scripter honestly believes it can be improved and simply does not know how. In that vein, a submitting scripter is permitted to ask specific questions about their code that they want answered or to direct interlocutors to particular sections of code that he or she thinks is problematic. All criticism and questions should be asked in the script's criticism topic itself.

After five days, that script will be taken off and the next script in the queue will be moved up. The order of the queue may be managed in order to ensure all participating scripters have the opportunity to have one of their scripts analyzed before we analyze more than one of another scripter's scripts. Ie. if A submits two scripts before B and C submit theirs, the queue may be modified so that only one of A's script is analyzed, then B's, then C's, before moving on to A's second submission. Once a script is finished, it will be moved to the Completed Reviews along with links to every solicited post.

As this idea is fairly new and untested, I invite anyone to make comments or suggestions on how to improve its implementation. It will start with the first script on Thursday, the 25th of October, since I want to give some time for the idea to become known, but please feel free to submit scripts in the meantime.

Remember, this idea can only work with enthusiastic participation from every scripter! Please review every script submitted with the attention and spirit that you want other scripters to have when reviewing your scripts.

To sum up, the rules in this current implementation are:

• Either post a criticism topic in the subforum or submit a link to your script in this topic, and it will be inserted into the queue at an appropriate position. If you create a topic, it will be locked until it reaches the top of the queue. You are welcome to ask specific questions about your script.
  • The same scripter should not have more than three scripts in the queue at any given time.
  • A new criticism topic for each script will be created when it reaches the top of the queue.
  • A script will remain at the top of the queue for five days before the queue is shifted.
  • All criticism and questions should be posted in the script's criticism topic itself. The only limit on the content of criticism is that it should be constructive and not malicious.
  • Don't be afraid to be wrong! Post anything you think is of interest in the script, even if you are unsure that it is an error or inefficient - the worst that could happen is that someone else will correct you, in which case you become a better scripter.

Queue

Start Date: 25 October 2012

Spoiler for PM Alerts:
If you would like to receive a PM whenever the queue is shifted and the next script is scheduled for review, then please post a request in this topic and your name will be added to the list.

• Pacman
  • D&P3

Completed Reviews

Spoiler for:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:35:01 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I feel like I've been stagnating as a scripter and that my scripts really aren't improving much in quality anymore.

I definitely share the same feelings towards my skills as a scripter, even though I know I could be a lot better, and I'm sure this program would help. Seems like a really cool idea, MA, and I'd be glad to participate.

So we can start posting scripts now, but they won't be analysed till a week from now?

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
Yes, I also feel some stagnation in my skills progress. There's almost no source to learn from or get criticism for after you reach a certain level of skill, so I would enjoy helping in any way I can. And of course I've always like how unforgiving the criticism here can be, not in a bad way but if someone keeps telling you that you're good you're never going to improve.

Also I have few scripts I would like to have reviewed by others, they're not really meant to be used by the public, but they are what I spend my spare time breaking my head open with.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Awesome to have you on board!

@cozzie - yeah, you can submit now and they will be put in the queue - nothing will stop anybody from posting criticism early of course, but I just wanted to give people enough time to become familiar with the idea so that the first script on the list doesn't get shafted by a lack of awareness about the project. Do you think a week is too long?

Also, I was thinking about the three day turn around - in retrospect it seems a little fast and reviewing ten scripts a month is a bit of a commitment (although, obviously, it's not absolutely required that everybody review every script). Would it be preferable to give five days for each script? That would be only six a month, and it might be a little easier to swing.

@TDS - I think that would be fine; ultimately this is about improving as scripters, and whether the script is designated for public consumption is ultimately irrelevant. It is a little more difficult to see where the comments should be submitted, as I would prefer if this topic remained for comments on the idea and for updates whenever a new script is up for submission. However, maybe one way to do it would be to post the script in the Scripts section with a warning at the top that no one has any license to use it in their games. Then, once the time has passed, you can just remove the script for further safety.

Alternately, and I really don't know if this would be a good idea, we could set up a new (semi-private) child board of Scripts for the Seminar submissions. Each script submission could get a topic when its time comes, and then all the criticism could be posted there. I would be reluctant to go that route, since it essentially means that any scripter who wants to participate would need to be given access to the board, and it erects a barrier to participation from new members who might otherwise stumble on the idea and just start participating. It also makes it less of a benefit for strangers to the community, as all the reviews are then private. However, if you guys would be more comfortable exposing your scripts to criticism in a private setting (relatively; I would admit anyone who wants to participate to the user group without any vetting process, but most people wouldn't ask for that access), then I would certainly be happy to do it. Administratively, it's not a problem.

Also, would people want to receive PMs whenever a new script is up for review?

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
I see, then how about a sub forum for this?

It would not have to be private and people can post their script to be reviewed with a link or the script itself and we can comment on the thread made for it and once everything has been said then we close it and allow more scripts to reviewed.

This would allow people who don't make scripts for the public to post their script and allow everyone to learn from all the comments on the threads on scripts they might be interested.

Rep:
Level 97
I'd be happy with that. However, I would like to encourage focus on the particular script up for review, and having all future scripts for review open for commenting at the same time might distract from that and people might not comment on the designated script. So I think any topics created before their time should be locked. Also, if anyone would prefer the comments to be in their script topic itself, then they can still just submit it here with a link and that will be fine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:20:57 PM by modern algebra »

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Sounds good, I'll prepare a few scripts I've made for review. I've been playing around with modules and it would be great to improve my knowledge of them and get some external information about what I'm doing right and wrong.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Brilliant idea, I'm happy to jump on board. I've been out of the scripting game for so long now though, so I myself may be seeking help :P

I would like a PM when a new script is up, as I'm likely to not remain this active (or active at all) for long.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
I like the idea & I'm happy to help review, I managed to pick up a few things over the past few weeks and I favour modifying Module Constants over using attrs that don't need to be saved.

I too would appreciate a new board for this since any review I would like would probably be for a script that isn't finished.
Feel free to send me a PM for new scripts.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 97
Great to have you both on board!

I set up the subforum. You can submit a script for review either by posting the topic yourself, or by posting in this topic with a link (and I will make the comments topic when the time comes with a quote from you). If you post a topic, it will be locked until its turn in the queue arrives.

I am thinking I will make it five days instead of three, with at least one full weekend day for every script. So, if a script would be scheduled for review from Monday morning to Saturday morning, it will be extended to Sunday morning.

I will post a list of people wanting PM alerts whenever the queue shifts in the original topic. If anyone other than Pacman and D&P3 wants to receive them, just post.

The start date will be this Thursday, 25 October 2012, but everyone please feel free to submit scripts in the meantime.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:56:42 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, let's start this up. Until October 30, you are all invited to review TDS' Module Interpretation. Let's give it all our best shot!

Also, please feel free to submit any scripts for next time. I am still trying to decide which of my scripts to add to the queue.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:35:46 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 97
Does no one else have any submissions? If not, then I suppose I will submit one of mine, but I'll have to think about which one. I think I will select an incomplete one.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
It's not that I don't have any scripts to submit, it's more that I already know what I need to improve on and my course has been keeping me busy in group work (which is not done in Ruby). The only thing I have to show is some snippets here and there and a script I've been working with on & off.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I'm not even writing scripts any more, sadly. I wish I had something to contribute.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I have a couple of scripts to submit, but most of them are quite lengthy and I'm not sure whether or not that would be an issue.

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Even if you can't submit them here, I'm interested in seeing your random map generator ported to VXA.

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Junior
Heh, I feel special!  Just finished another script myself!  Just posted in the XP Scripts section, although one of the versions is forwad compatible with VX and Ace. 

Off topic, when we post Multi Version Scripts that work with XP and VX / Ace, how does that work as far as site functionality?  I've been hanging out at chaos-project.com for a while now, and scripts there are pretty easy to find.  For scripts that are Multi Version, they list under everything they are compatible with.  Just curious how that is handled on this site...

I do have some projects in mind to go after, but mostly they are to modify existing scripts with updated features / performance.  I did some major modifications to MMW for RMXP to increase its stability and funtionality, and have some more ideas of what to go after in it.  Like removing the SDK Dependancy for the version I modified (which was a lot of work), and am thinking of one new feature for mucking with Font Sizes in the Speech Bubs.  Im also thinking of going after an existing Active Battle System which seems to be pretty nifty, but certain parts are very poorly written, and I think needs some additional features.

Not sure if anyone would be interested in that...
Heretic's Vehicles XP (Boat and Magic Carpet)

Heretic's Collection XP Ver 2.3 - Updated to include Dynamic Lighting, Moving Platforms, Vehicles, and much much more!