RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How to Insert & Utilize a script

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
How to Insert & Utilize a script

Since it has come to my attention that not everybody knows how to implement scripts into their project, this tutorial hopes to show you the way.

Finding a Script
Spoiler for:
Each and every RPGMaker related board has its own section for scripts, they come in the following types:
RGSS ~ RMXP
RGSS2 ~ RMVX
RGSS3 ~ RMVXA

I am unaware of absolutely every single RPGMaker related forum in existence, however I shall list the location for the master scripts list for the boards that I am aware of:

Of course, not all master script lists are updated constantly and there are even some forums that don't have any at all.
So with that in mind, there may be even more scripts for you to choose from that are not on those lists, but you'll need to do some searching. I'd strongly recommend using google to find a script if you can't find it on any master script list, saves you some hassle. But you can do some extra searching here:

So what are we looking for?
Spoiler for:
Well it could be pretty much anything, maybe you wanted a pathfinding script? Don't know what a pathfinding script is? Well it's a script that will allow you to set move routes without having the calculate absolutely every single tile for that event to walk on if you're a cutscene maniac like me, this is definitely a script to look at
Spoiler for:
And it just so happens that on the RMVXA Scripts Master list on RMRK, there is a pathfinding script by Cozziekuns

Or maybe you want a different title screen other than the default
Spoiler for:
Well on the RPGRevolution RGSS Master Script List you can find this:

Or maybe you wanted a hud for your game
Spoiler for:
Well on the RPGMakerVX.net Master Script List, you can find a whole section for that

Or maybe you want to give the player more than just 4 choices
Spoiler for:
Well on the linked Master script list of RPGMakerWeb and RPGMakerVXAce.net, you can find this

Wow, a lot of choices there right?
Correct, but you must remember that you're only searching for scripts for your maker. For example don't go looking into RMVXA scripts if you're using RMVX, they will not work so don't waste your time.

How to insert a script
Spoiler for:
Things work differently on different forums, all of them should have a section in the thread that has the script. In most cases it should look something like this:

Spoiler for:
Spoiler for RMRK:

Spoiler for RPGMakerWeb & RPGMakerVXAce.net:

Spoiler for RPGRevolution & RPGMakerVX.net:

However there may be occasions where the creator of the script tells you to get it from an outside source, normally this would be Pastebin
Spoiler for:

If you have even basic computer skills you should know how to copy text. In my opinion, RMRK and Pastebin make this the easiest, because they have icons which allow you to select and copy the entire text.
Copy all the text inside of the code box and now go into your RPG Maker Project.

Now that you have the text, this is what you need to do to get the script working for you.
You need to check the instructions for that script to see if it needs to be placed anywhere specifically, most of the time this will not be the case and if there is no specific instructions on where to place the script, the following method will work just fine for you.
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for RPG Maker XP:
come up to this icon and click on it

this will open up your script editor. Scroll down to the bottom, right click on main and then click on insert... Space it out to make it look neater if you wish

Now just above main is where you will be placing your custom script, click on any of the empty slots you made and insert a name, the name is up to you, but I suggest keeping the original script name and putting the name of the author of the script next to it

And now inside the huge white area to the right, you now paste the script that you copied earlier

Click on apply, then OK
Congratulations, you've now inserted a custom script into your project.

Spoiler for RPG Maker VX:

this will open up your script editor. Scroll down to the bottom

Now in between materials and main is where you will be placing your custom script, click on any of the empty slots in between the two and insert a name, the name is up to you, but I suggest keeping the original script name and putting the name of the author of the script next to it

And now inside the huge white area to the right, you now paste the script that you copied earlier

Click on apply, then OK

If you right click in any of the slots between Materials and Main and then click on insert you can create more slots for more scripts, pretty cool right?

Spoiler for RPG Maker VXA:

this will open up your script editor. Scroll down to the bottom

Now in between materials and main is where you will be placing your custom script, click on any of the empty slots in between the two and insert a name, the name is up to you, but I suggest keeping the original script name and putting the name of the author of the script next to it

Click on apply, then OK

If you right click in any of the slots between Materials and Main and then click on insert you can create more slots for more scripts, pretty cool right?

How to tweak a script
Spoiler for:
Well just because you've managed to insert a script does not mean you are done with it, a lot of scripts are plug and play, meaning that you do not have to do anything.
But some scripts give you the option to edit things to suit them to your needs.
For example, the versus pop-up script by Modern Algebra allows you to edit some things

Spoiler for:

Notice how there was a header saying "Editable Region", well that means from there on, you can edit things. Once you leave the editable region, you DO NOT TOUCH anything.
The green text is just telling you what things do, you don't edit that.
What you do edit is this

The instructions for editing them were in the green text above, but to further explain some things, you ONLY edit what is after the equals sign ( = )
and if you see something like this

MAVP_SE = ["Battle2"]

You only edit what is inside of the two [ ].

It is recommended that once you install a script, you start a new game on your project rather replaying from a previous save game, it is a known occurrence that some scripts require you to start a new game before it will work.

A Few Tidbits

If a script ever mentions something about an Event switch ID or a Variable ID.
it is actually referring to these:
Spoiler for:

Good Luck to you.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Wow! Nice work

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Nice tutorial D&P3. Stickied for sure.

Rep: +0/-0Level 11
RMRK Junior
Iphone XS Max Cinematic Video : https://youtu.be/mi9xCohoyMw