RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA][Abandoned Request] Alternate Character Progression

Rep:
Level 86
Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I know that this is a seriously large and complex script to be asking for, especially for free.
    Alternate Character Progression
    July 27, 2012
    *Edited*March 4, 2013

Summary
    A different way to build characters without the use of standard classes.  Instead of learning your abilities via a single/dual class system, you'll be able to train an actor in various proficiencies and as the actor levels, use points gained on level up to increase the proficiency, gaining stats and unlocking new abilities.

Features Desired
    • The ability to assign proficiencies to actors or classes, limit how many an actor or class may possess, limit the max level of proficiencies of certain actors or classes, as well as bonus proficiencies that don't count against the limit.
    • Controlling the amount of points gained per level, whether it be a single number i.e. Points = 2 or as a formula i.e. Points = (level * 2) + 1, and the ability to add additional points via events.
    • Being able to remove proficiencies, as well as all skills/stat/trait gains and refunding the points used.
    • A new scene used for training that shows the actor's character graphic and total points, that actor's proficiencies and level (as either just a number (i.e.  level 1/10) or a number and bar graphic) as well as various information on the selected proficiency (A small description, the Stat(s)/skill(s)/trait(s) gained on next level, as well as points needed to train to next level.), and a confirmation box asking if you are sure you'd like to spend the points to level or link the proficiency(s).
    • Use of script calls to check against the actors proficiencies for use in events, i.e. check to see if any of my actors' lock picking proficiency is high enough to open a chest or door.
    Optional Features
    • Setting the number of links possible either as a static number or as a formula.
    • Linking of Proficiencies together to unlock more skills, if the level of the proficiencies are high enough. For example, I link my level 2 Sword and level 3 Fire Proficiencies together, but to unlock the first combination skill, both sword and fire must be at level 3. Once I level Sword up to 3, I now learn Fire Slash.
    • Allow for multiple links off of single proficiency, as well as the option to choose how many can be chained together. i.e. Sword can be linked to both Fire and Ice proficiencies.  If the number of chains is 1, then the skills learned will be from (Sword + Fire) & (Sword + Ice). If the chain limit is set to 2, then you would also learn (Fire + Ice) & (Sword + Fire + Ice) skills.

Mockups

A)  The selection window. Depending on what action is selected, box E will change what info it shows.(ignore View, unless you can find a non-redundant use for it)
    B)  Current Actor window.  Show which actor is currently selected.
    C)  Point, Proficiency, and Link info window.  Shows current and maximum amounts of each the actor has.
    D)  Proficiency List Window.  Shows what proficiencies the actor currently has.
    E)  Information Window.  Changes information shown based on what was selected from box A.
    • If train was selected, it will show the Proficiency's level, Total Stats Gained from level, and Skills learned. (ignore <proficiency name>)
    • If link was selected, it will show what, if any, combination skill or skills will be made at the current levels of all proficiencies chosen.
    • If forget was selected, it will show how many of a item you have that allows for proficiencies to be removed.
    F) Description of Proficiency Window.  Shows a brief description of the highlighted proficiency, similar to the description show for items/skills.

Games its been in (Directly or Indirectly)
    • Any kind of classless rpg, like Ultima online, I suppose.
    • Dragon Quest 8 & 9, as well as Dragon Quest Monsters : Joker 1 & 2.

Did you search?
    Yes

Where did you search?

What did you search for?
    • Classless system
    • Alternate progression
    • Visually looked through the various forums as VXAce is still relatively new

*Edit*: A similar script can be found here for VX.
    [/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:17:33 PM by Garge »

Rep:
    Level 57
    Everything about Rendered Fate
    This sounds a lot like the skill system from the Elder Srolls series. Namely Skyrim and Oblivion.
    Link to my game is here.
    http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45507.0.html
    Feedback will be nice to get, constructive or otherwise.

Rep:
    Level 86
    If it is, I wouldn't know.  Never played any of the games in the series. :o

my name is Timothy what's yours
    Rep:
    Level 79
    Hello
    2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
    This sounds like a really useful, interesting and fun script. I'll give it a shot tonight if I find the time. Unfortunately I'm booked solid for all of Sunday and probably won't find the time to do it until next Saturday. When would you need it by?

Naturally, I'd need to discuss some details with you via PM, like what 'proficiencies' you want and all those boring things scripters need to know.
    it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
    Level 86
    Personally, whenever and however it gets done is fine by me.  As for some boring things, the idea in my head was to have everything set up-able by the user, like the names, stat/skill gains, and such.  After digging around again, I found the similar script I had thought I remember seeing and replying too :-[. http://www.rpgrevolution.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22090

Rep:
    Level 86
    Bump and original posted updated with more info and mockup for 2013.