RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The Dog Days of August

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

Alright fellas, it's time, it's here, it's now.

The Dog Days of August, A.K.A. The Guilds 3.0, A.K.A. Horrible Failure Act 3, is upon us at last.</fadark>

By popular request, and with community support, I bring you our third attempt at making cool shit in groups over 3 members with a timeframe of more than a single week.  This time, with a rather reality-TV esque spin, suggested by our very own Modern Algebra (who we love very much, and is sooo not the most unsung staff member).

IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THIS IS AN RPG MAKER COMPETITION

The Current Phase

We are currently HEATING UP!
This phase will end on Saturday, August 11th, at 11:59am EST

The Rules, A.K.A. How this shit goes down.

Team Signup Rules
Spoiler for:
  • Every team must have a captain.
  • There can be more than two guilds.
  • The guild must decide upon a name by the end of the concept phase.
  • Teams do not have to be of equal size
  • You may not sign up to be on a particular team

The Picking Process
Spoiler for:
  • Sunday, July 22nd, all of the team captains will meet in a top-secret IRC channel that isn't #crankeye.
  • First, there will be round-robin picking, in which each team captain picks from the pool of available team members, until there are no team members left.
  • If a team captain takes longer than 5 minutes to select their next team member, they forego that round of picks (disconnections nonwithstanding).
  • Once all team members have been picked, the trading phase will begin.
  • For one hour, team captains will be allowed to offer each other trades for team members.  These trades must then be sanctioned by the competition moderator (NAMKCOR)

The Competition Proper
Spoiler for:
The Dog Days of August will take place in week long slices.

Week 0: July 22nd through July 28th, The Concept Phase 
  • For this week, the guild is required to plan out their project.
  • Concept Art and Writing can be done, but no "official" work can begin on the game.  What is "official" is up to the discretion of the competition moderator (NAMKCOR).  This includes but is not limited to face sets, sprites, sprite sheets, battlers, music, scripts, or libraries that are intended to be in the project proper.  Stylistic examples are fine.
  • On Saturday the 28th, each guild MUST submit a concept post to be judged by the panel.  Full disclosure is not necessary, however feature teasers, art teasers, and story teasers are perfect.  These teasers must be made in the public Concept Showcase thread (to be made).

Week 1: July 29th through August 4th, ROUND 1
  • Work on the game proper can begin!
  • Halfway through week 1 (Wednesday the 1st), a challenge will be announced.  Each team is required to fulfill the challenge conditions, or recieve a failing mark for the week.  The challenge is due on Saturday the 4th.  These submissions will be judged in secret by the panel.

Week 2: August 5th through August 11th, HEATING UP
  • Work on the game proper continues
  • Halfway through week 2 (Wednesday the 8th), a challenge will be announced.  Each team is required to fulfill the challenge conditions, or recieve a failing mark for the week.  The challenge is due on Saturday the 11th.  These submissions will be judged in secret by the panel.

Week 3: August 12th through August 18th, SWELTERING FURY
  • Work on the game proper continues
  • Halfway through week 3 (Wednesday the 15th), a challenge will be announced.  Each team is required to fulfill the challenge conditions, or recieve a failing mark for the week.  The challenge is due on Saturday the 18th.  These submissions will be judged in secret by the panel.

Week 4: July 19th through August 25th, SHOWDOWN
  • Work on the game proper must be completed!
  • There will be no challenge in the showdown week
  • On Saturday the 25th, at 12:00 EST, all games must be submitted to the contest moderator (NAMKCOR).  They will be distributed to the panel to be judged, then released to the public the day of results.

!!! PLEASE NOTE !!!
Community resource usage is 100% fine, HOWEVER, nothing can be custom made for the game by anyone who is not a guild member.

Judgement Rules
Spoiler for:
  • Each of the judges is required to give a score between 0 and 5 points, based on how well a team completes the week's challenge.  This includes how complete the challenge was, how well they adhered to the challenge requirements, and if they went off course, or broke any of the challenge rules.
  • For final game judgement, each judge will give a score of 0 to 5 based on the overall quality, execution, style, and entertainment of the game.  This can be a personal score, but it is recommended that one takes into account how well put together a game is, and not penalize it solely on not being fun to you.
  • Scores for each challenge must be in the day after the challenge is due.
  • Scores for the final game must be turned in the week after they are due.
  • Scores do NOT have to be whole numbers.

How the Winners are Decided
Spoiler for:
  • Every week, each guild receives up to 5 points from each judge.  The average of the judges' scores is taken (rounded to the nearest tenth), and added to the guild's cumulative score.  Following the final judgement, the team with the most points wins.
  • Failing to complete a challenge results in a score of zero for that week.  You will not be disqualified for failing to turn in a challenge.
  • Failing to submit a final game will result in disqualification.

The Guild Leaders

• Acolyte
  • Gracie
  • D&P3

The Guild Hopefuls

• IAMFORTE - Mapper
  • Bayard - Jack-of-all-Trades/Mascot
  • Madurai - Writer/Eventer/Mapper
  • blackjackal211 - Writer/Musician
  • Omri Lahav - Musician
  • Lethrface - Spriter
  • Qwerty - Writer
  • cozziekuns - Eventer/Scripter
  • fci525 - Writer/Dialogue
  • ComputerZombies - Writer
  • Pacman - Scripting/Eventing
  • Cloudfall - Music/Mapping
  • Brady - Eventing/Mapping/Spriter
  • Mustidie - Writer/Artist
  • Epicrolo - Musician
  • 7RacerBoy77 - Eventer/Writer
  • Statesman88 - Mapper/Eventer
  • BadWolf - Writer
  • Gallade - Storyboarder/Eventer
  • Jomarcenter - Grammar? Iunno.
  • MelynnRose - Artist/Spriter
  • Anski - Writer/Concept Artist/Queen
  • misterdelta99 - Writer/Music
  • TDS - Scripting Guru

The Judges

• Holk
  • Firerain
  • Nightwolf
  • Irock
  • Amycha19
  • Joy[/li[
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:51:15 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'll judge.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I'm busy at certain points in august, but I should be able to participate as primarily a mapper

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I shall lead my team to victory.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
can i be a judge

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Saturday, July 11th
???
Take me to this universe of yours where the 11th of July 2012 is a Saturday.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
I've a feeling I'm going to regret it with my lack of time and muse lately, but I'll sign up for a guild hopeful to help get things rolling. Maybe it'll help me find my focus again. Put me down as Eventer/Scripter/Jack-Of-All-Trades/Mascot, the kind of person who'll do whatever is needed to advance the progress. I'd suggest extending the time for letting people join in though, you never know who's on vacation at the moment.

Also, I'll commit hara kiri if I somehow get stuck in a certain someone's LO guild. :|
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:06:47 PM by Bayard »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I could, but it would either cut into the planning or actual work time.  The idea was to have all the work done in august, hence the name.

Rep:
Level 73
Original Soul
Well, I'd love to be a writer for a team for this. Sounds really fun.

Rep:
Level 67
RMRK Junior
I've actually got a lot of free time to do this.  I fancy myself a writer and musician, but I'm flexible.

Rep:
Level 85
Omri Lahav - Professional composer for media.
I'd like to sign up as a musician.
Professional composer for video games, have worked with some major companies (details on request), own a state-of-the-art studio and offer mixed and mastered, pro quality music.
Previous works:
http://soundclick.com/OmriLahav
http://OmriLahav.com

Omri@OmriLahav.com
Omri Lahav,
Quality composer / arranger for media.
Music team lead and principal composer for Wildfire Games' "0.A.D."

Omri@OmriLahav.com
http://OmriLahav.com

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I'd join in as a spriter but I'm not 100% sure how my job schedule will be.  For the next two or three weeks at least, I'll be working 8 to 5 at my new job during training.  (I may regret this though and keep in mind I may have to drop out at the last second depending on how the job goes)
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep: +0/-0Level 57
RMRK Junior
I would like to be a writer.  :lol:

Rep: +0/-0Level 69
Developer
Due to work and personal project constraints, I can not commit to a team. However, I could judge if it is needed!

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I guess I can join in as an eventer/scripter.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
I'm adding Aedales name to the judge list for the moment unless Namkcor says otherwise. I think she'd prefer it if the judges for a forum competition had more than one post on the forum, so Iunno. Everyone else is added to the roster, both known members and new ones. QwertyholyshitI'vegotalongname needs a name change though.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I would prefer the judges are active community members that I can rely on to actually submit scores.

Rep: +0/-0Level 61
RMRK Junior
I could be a writer, be it story, dialog, or whatever. There's a link to an excerpt from a short story I'm working on. I realize it's not the same kind of writing, but I thought a sample might be nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgvbdfv512dmx9u/1.txt

Rep:
Level 68
Let's kick some ass
I'm in. If anybody wants me that is ;) I'm a writer with five years of experience in making games and 2 years of computer journalism. My current job is at dorktech.com and my articles are at http://dorktech.com/author/chris-mccrory/

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato
    Judgement Rules
    Spoiler for:
    • Each of the judges is required to give a score between 0 and 5 points, based on how well a team completes the week's challenge.  This includes how complete the challenge was, how well they adhered to the challenge requirements, and if they went off course, or broke any of the challenge rules.
    • For final game judgement, each judge will give a score of 0 to 5 based on the overall quality, execution, style, and entertainment of the game.  This can be a personal score, but it is recommended that one takes into account how well put together a game is, and not penalize it solely on not being fun to you.
    [li]Scores for each challenge must be in the
    [/li][/list]
    What?

I love Firerain
    Rep:
    Level 97
    =D
    I don't really know how busy I will be in August, or if I'll be completely free - it depends on a lot of factors so,
    I can sign up as a Judge, if it's okay that I withdraw from my position if I feel I can't really get the job done~
    Arlen is hot.

Rep:
    Level 96
    2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
    This looks as if it will be deliciously entertaining.

I'll spectate.

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
      Judgement Rules
      Spoiler for:
      [li]Scores for each challenge must be in the
      [/li][/list]
      What?

It should have said that the scores need to be in the day after the challenge is due.  Fixed.

I don't really know how busy I will be in August, or if I'll be completely free - it depends on a lot of factors so,
      I can sign up as a Judge, if it's okay that I withdraw from my position if I feel I can't really get the job done~

If you were to withdraw, understand that all of your scores would be stricken out.

It should be fun to see how these teams full of writers will MAKE A GAME.

Rep:
      Level 102
      2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato
      I'll be a judge then. :)

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      It should be fun to see how these teams full of writers will MAKE A GAME.

I was just thinking this morning that there are a ton of writers and only two team leaders so far.  There should be no excuse for poor stories at this rate.
      I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

my name is Timothy what's yours
      Rep:
      Level 79
      Hello
      2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
      Sign me up for scripting and eventing I guess, keeping in mind that I may have to leave again for school.
      it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
      Level 59
      Practice makes Petrucci!
      2013 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Gold - GIAW 11 (Normal)
      I'll sign up for music and mapping if needed. I'm just a lurker normally, but I feel like doing something different for a change. With any luck, this'll be great motivation!

If more mappers are needed, I'm using VX.
      « Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:44:21 PM by cloudfall »
      "Pursue happiness with diligence."

http://soundcloud.com/progfox

Bitch
      Rep:
      Level 87
      Bits'n'Pixels
      This sounds rad; count me in!

I enjoy eventing the most, but work on map edits and such and reckon I can map well enough, given a tileset to play with.

I have 2k3 and VXA.

http://pixelbrady.wordpress.com/

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      Thanks to whomever is helping me keep this updated.

Rep:
      Level 73
      Teaser
      I would love to write and do editing and create pictures. I also love creating events either complex or simple.

Proof of writing experience and how I've grown...

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/569163/Iamhappytojustbealive

Proof of my artist/editing skills

http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/2738-stuff-that-i-made-for-people/

Proof of simple eventing

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/lofiversion/index.php/t45121.html
      « Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:27:39 PM by mustidie »
      It can't be wrong if it feels right...

Rep:
      Level 73
      This is my first time posting here, but hey, gotta start somewhere :P
      I would quite like to sign up as a musician. I currently write alot of music but have nothing to apply it to so this is pretty much perfect for me :P

Rep:
      Level 73
      Original Soul
      After seeing all the writers signing up, could you update me as an eventer and mapper too? xD
      I'll stop being lazy.

I wrote, evented and mapped both these games.

DIVIDED INFINITY
      http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=41451.0

Anonymous Agony
      http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=44982.0

Rep: +0/-0Level 63
      RMRK Junior
      Hmm, If I cam make time between watching anime, and playing games... I will do Music.

Here is a link to some of my stuff. http://soundcloud.com/omniscient-1/tracks

Furry Philosopher
      Rep:
      Level 94
      Rawr?
      When people say they may have limited time to work on it but will try their best, they mean that they've got work or school or life stuff coming up in August but that they're going to do all that they can when they can. Watching anime and playing games does not count as "being too busy to help out", it's called being too lazy to do what you commit to and we've kicked such members out of guilds in the past for that. It's not like we need people to be constantly working around the clock, but if you join you have to pull your weight and do the tasks assigned to you in a timely fashion. Please think about that before signing up, Faria.

Small Bat Dev
      Rep:
      Level 76
      2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
      writers pls go

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      Hmm, If I cam make time between watching anime, and playing games... I will do Music.

Here is a link to some of my stuff. http://soundcloud.com/omniscient-1/tracks

Now that's just dumb.  Here I am offering as much of my time as I have available after starting a new job and the only responsibilities you have is anime and games?  I should re-evaluate my priorities.  I want that kind of lifestyle.

P.S.: Holy fuck how am I the only spriter signing up?
      « Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:18:39 AM by Lethrface »

Rep:
      Level 94
      2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
      I was going to get a job and work for a living, but I have so much gaming and anime watching to do.

Rep:
      Level 85

Well I sprite too, I just have much better sucsess with mapping

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9

Well I sprite too, I just have much better sucsess with mapping

lol I just hope whatever team I'm on doesn't pile me with a ton of things to sprite and are able to take some of the artistic slack off my shoulders.  I work 40 hour weeks now that I got a real job and not that shitty telephone survey job.

Rep:
      Level 73
      RPG Maker Idealist
      Given the lack of Guild Leaders, I'd like to be one. I think three teams will be much more interesting than two. :)

Also, it would be helpful to me if IAMFORTE, Madurai, and any future Mappers would tell us what RPG Maker software they have.

Meet me in the middle
      Rep:
      Level 89
      or left of the dial.
      For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
      leader with 6 posts

ho boy

Rep:
      Level 94
      It was that mass email what done it.

Rep:
      Level 73
      RPG Maker Idealist
      Firerain, I may not have proven myself by posting a lot, but I've been a lurker for a long time. Also, one of my best skills is editing, which would be very useful for a leader in a writer-heavy group. But it's up to NAMKCOR, I suppose.

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      Firerain, I may not have proven myself by posting a lot, but I've been a lurker for a long time. Also, one of my best skills is editing, which would be very useful for a leader in a writer-heavy group. But it's up to NAMKCOR, I suppose.

You might want to pick a different skill.  You have an incomplete sentence there.

I love Firerain
      Rep:
      Level 97
      =D

If you were to withdraw, understand that all of your scores would be stricken out.

Yeah, totally.
      Actually, I think I just wanna see how both the teams will function and go about their work, I usually miss the guilds thing. If I feel I can't, I'll withdraw and spectate =D
      Arlen is hot.

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
      I could work as a eventer/writer/guild leader
      -7racerboy77

A-pow 2015
      Rep:
      Level 81
      2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
      I think we should make a clarification that a member should at least be somewhat active in the community to be considered for guild leadership. I mean, at least have a dozen or so posts here, jeez.

Furry Philosopher
      Rep:
      Level 94
      Rawr?
      I'm not adding either of them to the list for leader. No offense, but if you're going to be leading a group in a forum competition, it only makes sense that you're actually a regular part of that forum community rather than coming in out of nowhere. That'd be like naming your brand new next-door neighbor as mayor of your town.

I've added Racerboy as a hopeful, and will add Faria once he's confirmed that he wants to join in seriousness and Statesman once he's listed a role he'd like aside from a guild leader.

Rep:
      Level 85
      Zylos why don't you guild lead :3
      Also to answer a question posed above, I have XP, which I specialize in as well as VX, I have yet to use VXA, however I can aquire the demo.

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      I agree that Guild Leaders should have some form of creative presence on the boards before they apply.

I also hope that all of these "writers" have at least one skill other than being idea people.  Idea people are largely worthless in the grand scheme of things, and if that's all you are, you won't be contributing much at all to the project.

Small Bat Dev
      Rep:
      Level 76
      2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
      Need more artists, for the love of god it takes more than writers to make a game.

I'll be doing art, maps and sprites for my game, so guild leaders will need to do more than just shout sort of good commands at people.

Rep:
      Level 73
      Teaser
      What system are we focusing with vx or ace?

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      The guild (or guild leader) should decide which version the game will be made in.  There is no version requirement.

Rep:
      Level 73
      RPG Maker Idealist
      All right, fair enough... I'd like to be a guild hopeful, then. I'm a decent RMXP Mapper/Eventer. I also have a little bit of skill in scripting in RGSS: I couldn't make a complex script from scratch, but I've created or edited a few simple scripts. I posted one of these here: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,41583.0.html

If you're not using RPG Maker XP, I won't be much use to you.
      « Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:03:26 PM by statesman88 »

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      RMVX and VXAce eventing isn't that much different from RMXP, Mapping is a little different, but if you have basic skills you should be fine.

Scripting is another animal entirely.

Rep:
      Level 59
      Practice makes Petrucci!
      I do find it rather funny how the email about this has pulled mostly just lurkers out of the shadows.

Rep:
      Level 73
      Original Soul
      How many team leaders are we expecting?
      I'll switch to a guild leader if needed...I have experience leading teams.
      www.codedemotion.com

But if a third person steps up by the 21st, I'll stick to a guild hopeful haha.
      « Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:40:24 PM by Madurai »

Bitch
      Rep:
      Level 87
      Bits'n'Pixels
      I've just realised that I forgot to mention spriting; I'd be cool to do some spriting for this as well, but not XP sprites.

Furry Philosopher
      Rep:
      Level 94
      Rawr?
      The previous ones were set up for only two, but I think Nam's experimenting with the possibility of more this time if there's enough people who join in.

Rep:
      Level 73
      Teaser
      Where the hell are the artist/spriters at? Just checked the list...really?!

*crack*
      Rep:
      Level 64
      2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
      I'm actually going to be fairly busy in August when it comes to Uni stuff; but I can try to get as much done in this as possible.

I'm an Eventer and that's all my skills will pertain to for this, we don't need more writers; put me down for a guild leader if you need another though.
      All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      The previous ones were set up for only two, but I think Nam's experimenting with the possibility of more this time if there's enough people who join in.

We could probably do with another 1 or 2, but I'm not sure how the teams are going to end up.

RMRK Junior
      I agree that Guild Leaders should have some form of creative presence on the boards before they apply.

I also hope that all of these "writers" have at least one skill other than being idea people.  Idea people are largely worthless in the grand scheme of things, and if that's all you are, you won't be contributing much at all to the project.

I guess by 'writer' I meant something a little different. There's backstory and ideas, of course, but I think the quality of a lot of otherwise great games is ruined by the actual text elements. Dialogue needs to be well written, well formatted, and consistent with what's going on with the story and the characters. So I guess what I was really aiming for was scene/dialogue writing and quality checking.

As far as scenes go, that's really more in the domain of eventing, which I don't have a problem with. So I guess I'm fine with doing events too. Maybe some mapping (any version). And I could contribute some music, but it would be limited to midi.

A-pow 2015
      Rep:
      Level 81
      Dialogue writing is a pretty big part of your typical rpg, especially with making sure everything is spelled and structured correctly. If anything else, the writers could double as beta testers. It's always nice to have someone else doing the stress tests.

Rep:
      Level 56
      RMRK Junior
      I'd like to sign up. I'm a writer and an artist. I'm still learning the art of making sprites (I convert my hand drawn characters into sprites, which is how I'm creating the art for my own project).

As a writer, I've got a lot of experience, though none professionally. I can be pretty sloppy when talking on the forums, but I'm endlessly meticulous when writing. I prefer to be in charge of story AND dialogue, as, to me, that's as much of the story as anything else. Really, and the guild leader may have other ideas, but I like to have my hands in as many pots writing-wise as possible. It's hard for me to work on just one thing, since, for me, writing is all of those things and not just ideas or backstory or dialogue.

I'm also an actor, though, I doubt there's much use for that in this case. Throwing it out there all the same.

I know I haven't been here much, and examples of my own work are nonexistent, but I thought I'd throw my name in the hat. I would understand if I no one wanted to use me.

So, in short: Writer/Dialogue/Artist(Maybe)/Actor(not a skill that would be needed, probably), and I won't get my feelings hurt if I'm not on anyone's list.

EDIT: And it just occurred to me that getting decent recording equipment might be iffy (I'm sure I could rent time in a study at the University), so, again, just something I'm throwing out there.

EDIT 2: Yeah, I know. Another writer. But when that's your skill, what else are you supposed to say? Again, I won't be hurt if I'm not picked.
      « Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:33:46 PM by dudeguy119 »

I support:

A-pow 2015
      Rep:
      Level 81
      I suppose voice acting could be cool if someone was interested in that.

Would it be out of place to ask the artists/pixel artists to show examples of their work?

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      Would it be out of place to ask the artists/pixel artists to show examples of their work?

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,41225.0.html  (some images not working it looks like)

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45921.0.html  (custom vx rtp styled characters in modern style)

A game I'm slowly working on in gamemaker (all graphics are my own)

Big animated battler for Ender's Amethyst
      Spoiler for:

I'm sure most of you guys already saw it all but since you asked...
      « Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:44:34 AM by Lethrface »

Rep:
      Level 73
      Teaser

Never thought of that. It might be cool, but would we really have the time for it?

A-pow 2015
      Rep:
      Level 81
      It's less about time and more about having enough people with vocal talent and high quality sound capturing. And also the file size would be gigantic. But yeah, I dunno. Could be cool.

Rep:
      Level 58
      My timing always seems to suck on these things so if this isn't valid anymore my bad.

I'd like to sign up for the writers guild, any of them is fine since about six of the guilds have writer listed.
      I can do story, simple dialogue, and the design for character personalities, or a combination of all three.
      « Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:19:58 AM by BadWolf »
      You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence, and I divide them. Everything must come to dust, all things, everything dies.

Spoiler for A Thief's Tale:

Rep:
      Level 84
      I'm free for most of the month. If anyone needs a storyboarder, I'm your grab bag.
      But I'm also good at making puzzles and dungeons with events.
      « Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:34:51 PM by Gallade »
      And then they told me "Well, you look too healthy for a corpse" and I was like "I've been busy keeping your seat in hell warm"

SOON
      Rep:
      Level 72
      Jomarcenter - MJM
      i'm in as guild leader...
      guild jomarcenter rocks!!
      here my skills
      -eventing (expert)
      -story writer (improving)
      -mapping (improving)
      -language and grammar check (still working on that)
      -graphics (little improving)

my team name is - the jomarcenter game development team
      « Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:23:43 AM by jomarcenter »

SOON
      Rep:
      Level 72
      Jomarcenter - MJM
      and i will be using rpg maker vx ace since this is the only rm program i have.
      and if you don't have, i herd there an competition is in progress in the rpgmakerweb for the best mini-game creator in the competition will win any item in the store. and the deadline is july 29!!! just in case for people who want to join a certain guild and don't have the require program to do it.

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      My timing always seems to suck on these things so if this isn't valid anymore my bad.

I'd like to sign up for the writers guild, any of them is fine since about six of the guilds have writer listed.
      I can do story, simple dialogue, and the design for character personalities, or a combination of all three.

You did not read the first post at all did you?

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      i'm in as guild leader...
      guild jomarcenter rocks!!
      here my skills
      -eventing (expert)
      -story writer (improving)
      -mapping (improving)
      -language and grammar check (still working on that)
      -graphics (little improving)

my team name is - the jomarcenter game development team

No offense Jomar but you are probably not quite qualified to lead a team, man.

Rep:
      Level 85
      An example of my Mapping, takes roughly an hour to do something like this, might lower the detail in favour of time if required

as for my spriting abilities, I mostly do franken-sprites of existing characters, some modifacations, my scratchspriting isnt the greatest >.<

Rep:
      Level 73
      Original Soul

Well, I voice act as well.
      http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL15D72C9A912351FE&feature=view_all

But depending on the game, being made, finding a full cast of actors for this contest would be challenging.

But if there's a place for it, I'm capable of splitting, editing, leveling, and inserting lines into events.
      I've done it over thousands of times, so I'm good at it.
      « Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:14:41 PM by Madurai »

Rep:
      Level 59
      Practice makes Petrucci!
      An example of my Mapping, takes roughly an hour to do something like this, might lower the detail in favour of time if required

as for my spriting abilities, I mostly do franken-sprites of existing characters, some modifacations, my scratchspriting isnt the greatest >.<

Damn, that's pretty.

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
      So the winner gets bragging rights?

Sounds good to me, I can't wait for this to start ^^
      -7racerboy77

Rep:
      Level 56
      I'd like to join as an artist/spriter. I don't have too much experience with tilesets beyond editing them, but I've done some pixel artwork before and sprite sheets.
      Some of my works can be found here.

http://artworkmelody.blogspot.ca/
      http://jaytheunseen.deviantart.com/

Rep:
      Level 73
      RPG Maker Idealist
      RMVX and VXAce eventing isn't that much different from RMXP, Mapping is a little different, but if you have basic skills you should be fine.

Just to be clear for the guild leaders, RMXP is all I have. If you're using VX or Ace, all I can do is write dialogue (which I'm OK at, but I'm not an expert) and beta test for you.

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast

Just to be clear for the guild leaders, RMXP is all I have. If you're using VX or Ace, all I can do is write dialogue (which I'm OK at, but I'm not an expert) and beta test for you.

You -can- get a month long trial of either VX or Ace, you know.

Rep:
      Level 98
      2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 King of RMRK2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
      Sign me up for a writer/concept artist.

herp derp show off proof: http://rmrk.net/index.php?action=profile;area=showAwards;u=379
      « Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:48:34 AM by Anski »
      you awoke in a burning paperhouse
      from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
      Level 98
      2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 King of RMRK2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
      And if I get on jormarcenter's team i'm dropping out
      you awoke in a burning paperhouse
      from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast

Jomar is not leading a team.

We could use one more leader if someone was so inclined, however.

SOON
      Rep:
      Level 72
      Jomarcenter - MJM
      can anyone let's me on someone team since i just an member.
      well now my art skills on gimp is now starting to work out you may here is some of my sample of my artwork
      logo:

icons:

but i won't be working on that game yet. i just made a artwork to be use in the future.
      and rhythm is a working title so this isn't final.
      i will upload some of my improvement of my other skills soon
      but if anyone need me just tell me.
      and if you want to see my other artwork just go to my deviantart account
      http://jomarcenter.deviantart.com/
      « Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:18:56 PM by jomarcenter »

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      can anyone let's me on someone team since i just an member.

Being just a member doesn't disqualify someone from leading a team or there wouldn't be open enrollement for it.

RMRK's dad-in-training
      Rep:
      Level 72
      Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
      GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
      Looks great but I think I'm gonna have to sit this one out.  Wouldn't want to not give a team 100%.  Good luck to all and I'll be watching!

*crack*
      Rep:
      Level 64
      2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots

I'll be a leader; I'll also take Jomarcenter... I'll also give him a chew-toy so that he doesn't bring down the team, but that's besides the point
      All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

RMRK's dad-in-training
      Rep:
      Level 72
      Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
      GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9

I'll be a leader; I'll also take Jomarcenter... I'll also give him a chew-toy so that he doesn't bring down the team, but that's besides the point

I'll be watching *closely*

RMRK Junior
      Turns out I'm not quite as finished with school as I thought. I doubt I'll have time for most of the first two weeks, so I guess I'm taking my name off the list. But there are plenty of writers anyway.

Rep:
      Level 73
      RPG Maker Idealist
      You -can- get a month long trial of either VX or Ace, you know.

Ooh, I forgot about that! Thanks. :)

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast

No picking yet.  Thanks for reading the OP.

Furry Philosopher
      Rep:
      Level 94
      Rawr?
      I'm pretty sure it was a joke, D&P3's bright enough to realize that nobody's been picked yet.

Rep: +0/-0Level 68
      RMRK Junior
      New to these forums, but I might be able to contribute with Writing (Story, characters, etc.) and maybe music.

I'm freelance writer when I'm not working on the job and specialize in drama so I'll be great with character development, relationships, and plotlines

I can also help with music, I make music occasionally as a hobby, I'm in no way a professional, but I guess I can get stuff done.

*crack*
      Rep:
      Level 64
      No picking yet.  Thanks for reading the OP.
      It was more of a suggestion than anything else.

If I was going to pick people, he wouldn't be my first choice; nor would he be my only choice....
      I am a little amazed at how many people don't seem to have read the OP though.

Rep:
      Level 57
      Miiiiaf =^+^=
      GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
      I'd like to be a judge if that's still possible...

As blonde as can be!!!
      Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      Alright, tomorrow WE PICK.
      Be in IRC at 5pm EST to find out the secret location.

Rep:
      Level 57
      Miiiiaf =^+^=
      5pm... What timezone?

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      Well assuming the OP is accurate, I won't need to be there if I can't get there since I'm not a guild leader so awesome.  I'm gonna try to hop on just to see which guild I get chosen for.

Rep:
      Level 85
      Well assuming the OP is accurate, I won't need to be there if I can't get there since I'm not a guild leader so awesome.  I'm gonna try to hop on just to see which guild I get chosen for.

I'm actually really excited to see that awnser :3

Small Bat Dev
      Rep:
      Level 76
      Sadly team picking is entirely secret, so you'll all just have to wait until we've picked everyone to find out the results.

Rep:
      Level 57
      Miiiiaf =^+^=
      Sadly team picking is entirely secret, so you'll all just have to wait until we've picked everyone to find out the results.
      Judges as well?

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

Furry Philosopher
      Rep:
      Level 94
      Rawr?
      Judges are judges, they don't need to be picked for a team.

It'll likely still be possible to join up even after things have started, should your schedule clear or you change your mind or you somehow only just notice the whole contest. You may have to do a fair bit to catch up to speed with the guild's plans and directions, but it's always been open before for stragglers.
      « Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:38:27 PM by Bayard »

pokeball TDSOffline
      Rep:
      Level 84
      -T D S-
      Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
      I hope I'm not too late to sign up. All I can do is scripting.

Rep:
      Level 73
      Original Soul
      Well, this is exciting! TOMORROWWWW

Rep:
      Level 59
      Practice makes Petrucci!

Rep:
      Level 57
      Miiiiaf =^+^=
      Judges are judges, they don't need to be picked for a team.

It'll likely still be possible to join up even after things have started, should your schedule clear or you change your mind or you somehow only just notice the whole contest. You may have to do a fair bit to catch up to speed with the guild's plans and directions, but it's always been open before for stragglers.
      What I actually wanted to ask is this: "Do judges need to be at the picking? Does that need to be judged or not? If so, 5pm in what timezone?"

I did realise I didn't need to be picked for a team. I chose to be a judge because I wanted to be in this competition somehow but I don't have enough time to really do a lot of work any ways...

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

A-pow 2015
      Rep:
      Level 81

at 5pm EST

EST

But it doesn't matter. You don't need to be there

Rep:
      Level 57
      Miiiiaf =^+^=

at 5pm EST

EST

But it doesn't matter. You don't need to be there
      Oooooh, I somehow skipped the EST part when reading it...
      May want to read my signature  ;)
      And, thanks for answering my other questions!!  ^-^

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
      Level 102
      ACTUALLY NAMKCOR IT'S EDT

Rep:
      Level 59
      Practice makes Petrucci!
      If I'm potentially doing mapping, thought it'd be a good idea to show a small example of my work! Not much, but better than leaving Guild Leaders in the dark about my abilities.

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      GEE I HOPE THE OTHER GUILD LEADERS SHOW UP IN IRC SOON.

Rep:
      Level 73
      Original Soul
      GEE I HOPE THE OTHER GUILD LEADERS SHOW UP IN IRC SOON.

Guessing there are some speed bumps?

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      We've been done picking for a while now.  There are other threads here.

I love Firerain
      Rep:
      Level 97
      =D
      I knew this would happen. I have to resign before the thing even starts, I have med school starting next week. Need to prepare shit for that, and there I don't think I'll have internet for a few days in the beginning or whatever so.
      Yeah. I'm a sad guy :|
      Arlen is hot.

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      I knew this would happen. I have to resign before the thing even starts, I have med school starting next week. Need to prepare shit for that, and there I don't think I'll have internet for a few days in the beginning or whatever so.
      Yeah. I'm a sad guy :|

That's alright, better now than halfway through.  Thanks for the heads up and the support.  Good luck at med school.

Rep: +0/-0Level 57
      RMRK Junior
      I am so sorry about my absence...

Did I miss a lot?  :(

A-pow 2015
      Rep:
      Level 81

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      Alright, so I've gotten another request for late entries, so I'm going to put it to a vote.
      If all of the guilds agree that the late entry is to be allowed, then I will allow it.

Strike_Reyhi wants to join Acolyte's team as he's functionally a member anyway, being that he lives there.

Guild leaders, please post here with your feelings.

*crack*
      Rep:
      Level 64
      I'm all cool with late entries.

They might have missed the concept phase, but if they're properly willing to work in a team then I see no harm in it.

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      My honest opinion is I don't care.  He'll probably be helping them unofficially anyway.  Might as well just make it a package deal there.

Just consider allowing others to join late if they wish, though.  Saying no to one but yes to someone else might be seen as a little bit of favoritism to someone.

A-pow 2015
      Rep:
      Level 81
      I'm fine with everyone having late entries.

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      Just consider allowing others to join late if they wish, though.  Saying no to one but yes to someone else might be seen as a little bit of favoritism to someone.

That's what I was saying.

Rep:
      Level 77
      Bronze - GIAW 9
      the late entry is to be allowed, then I will allow it.

Sorry I misunderstood with the wording of your post.

Rep:
      Level 59
      Practice makes Petrucci!
      Will the public showcase thread be made at some point tonight? And will we have to put our teaser in it?

Bitch
      Rep:
      Level 87
      Bits'n'Pixels
      Does that mean that my late entry request will be permitted, assuming my guild leader is okay with it when she returns, at the beginning of the week? o:

Exciting stuff!

And lookin' forward to the teasers, to see what the other guilds have got in store!  S'gunna be good :D

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      The teaser topics are posted!

Judges, please have your scores to me today or tomorrow, remember, judge them between 0 and 5 based on hype/interest/and how well they were put together!

Abraxas - please give me the name of your game?

ROUND 1 HAS BEGUN, PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK THE FORUM ON WEDNESDAY FOR ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE FIRST CHALLENGE!
      « Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:25:09 PM by NAMKCOR »

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      Double post clarification.

The scores do NOT have to be whole numbers.  Amending the first post.

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      THREE POST COMBO!

Gracie agrees, so late entries are permitted.
      I'm restricting it to THIS WEEK ONLY.

You have until the end of Round 1 to enter the competition if you want to be a part of it.  I will not accept any more later than this week, mostly because it'd be a pain in the ass to integrate you into the team.

Strike_Reyhi has been added to Abraxas.

Rep:
      Level 94
      Fuck, do we really need decimals?

Hungry
      Rep:
      Level 96
      Mawbeast
      Fuck, do we really need decimals?

No, you can use whole numbers if you want, I'm just not requiring it.  Given that it's a system based on averages, we'd end up with decimals anyway.

Rep:
      Level 58

You did not read the first post at all did you?

Concerning which piece?
      You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence, and I divide them. Everything must come to dust, all things, everything dies.

Spoiler for A Thief's Tale:

A-pow 2015
      Rep:
      Level 81
      :facepalm:

Why did you sign up and then wait a month to check up on this?