RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Colonist - VXA (Recruiting)

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
 Recruitment details are below!  If you'd like to be a part of Colonist, just drop a post here or on the blog and we'll talk!

Colonist is an exploration/simulation game.  There's no combat, no gory battles and wars and no villain to combat.  Sound boring?  Well you're stuck in the wilderness of a new region with a small group of people ready to set up a new colony in the name of their kingdom far away and they're relying on you to find somewhere safe, they're relying on you to go out into the world and find the materials they need to build, they're relying on you to develop this small group of people into a sustainable village and eventually, a thriving city!

The story is that you are, as stated above, colonising a new region.  Once your Town Hall is settled, it will be up to you to explore the lands around the village and find materials and supplies.  You have forests and caves to delve into in a search to find wood, ores, minerals and even lost treasures, with which you can return to the village and supply whatever construction you wish, whether it be a shop for more advanced drills or scouting post to help you find better caves to explore.  It's your choice!  You'll have plenty of responsibility to build up the town, but once it's done, you may well be deserving a promotion, to take on some more tasks to help your village develop to its fullest!

What does it feature?
Relaxed, combat-free gameplay with a focus on exploration, simulation and discovery
A pixel-movement ABS with options to dig freehand with tools and shovels or to fire fancy Drill Guns at the rocks and destroy them from afar!
Your decisions are what matters in the development of the village, build what you want first.  If you have the materials, you have the choice!
Update-based game releases.  A base game will be released and extra quests and expansions will be released thereafter to keep playing regular
Randomly generated ores and materials, so repeating caves can give different results each time!

Screenies?
None yet, as the game is being rebuilt from scratch with the new team, but there's attached thumbnails of the previous version and the blog (below) will be updated as the game progresses.

Other Details/Blog!
You can check my blog covering details of the progress at Pixel Brady, which will have any other details, plans, updates and such, as this thread will be left with announcements for changes, whereas the blog will be updated regularly with...whatever happens!

Who do we need?
Artistic Troops - We need pretty new tilesets made up for the game, but artists can do anything graphically they like; characters, tiles, parallaxes, maps etc
Scripting Soldiers - So far no one in the crew knows anything about scripting, so any scripter at all is a champion.  We are using some scripts in game already.
Other Contributing Champs - I don't think anything else is essential right now, but that doesn't mean we couldn't use the help.  Any and all help is appreciated and we'll gladly take on anyone who's enthusiastic and think they can make a contribution!

Who do we have?
Pixel Brady - Events, Art, Concept
Natumia - Events, Mapping, Concept
OniEliteZ
(thegirlwithnoname)
Samven (if he agrees to join
) - Writing

Credits:
Khas
modern algebra
Celianna & Lunarae
DoctorTodd
VM of D.T.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
That sounds very cool to me. But with no combat, will there be no types of hunting? Or maybe that will be passive hunting or something (like off-screen).
I'm also wondering if there will be any sort of crafting, that'd be a pretty cool thing to have.

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
The game will run as an ABS and you will essentially "attack" the rocks and obstacles.  There'll be no combat because it won't be based around murdering everything in sight, but collecting and discovering.
At some point there's plans to be a "hunting" style of minigame where you'll go after animals and such to get food, as well as sending out hunting parties to do this for you while you mine, although this is future plans; right now the base game is about building your village up via going through the caves.

It depends what you mean by crafting.   At the minute there's no plans for a crafting panel like Minecraft (we lack a scripter for such things) but the whole game is based around collecting resources in the name of "crafting" the village buildings, better drills and tools etc.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
It depends what you mean by crafting.   At the minute there's no plans for a crafting panel like Minecraft (we lack a scripter for such things) but the whole game is based around collecting resources in the name of "crafting" the village buildings, better drills and tools etc.
Isn't it possible to event that?
I can try to event you a system...
Let me dig into that, oke?

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
To event a minecrafting style system?  not that I'm aware of, although it's scriptable; TDS has done it already, exactly like MC.
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/2687-scripting-services/

As for our system so far, it's basically just "do you ahve 10 wood and 5 stone?" then a new building is constructed or a new weapon is available..  If something better could be devised then fantastic.   We're going to be starting in the next few days.

"dig into it" lol
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:50:34 PM by Brady »

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
I wasn't trying to do something minecraft like but a simple crafting system is possible to event with some variables, switches and self-switches... Depending on the fact if you'd like skill or not (like woodcutting, mining, farming skills, etc)

Otherwise I can't think of anything though I've seen a minecraft crafting script for VX (I think)

EDIT: Okeeeee, tried to create something and it would take a shitload of eventing and an even bigger shitload of variables and switches to create an entire crafting system.

EDIT2: Been searching around the VX scripts and I found this... Maybe you can find someone to alter this to RGSS3 for VXA or maybe it works just fine without editing it? Though, it's in portugese (don't understand that either) the script looks pretty good!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:59:02 AM by Amycha19 »

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Will try and think of some stuff that can be craftable then, it could be a good addition to the type of game.  Until then, any other ideas, suggestions, help etcwould be fantastic! ^^

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
Maybe you could make it a quasi-minecraft game. What I mean is that you keep you idea for colonising a world but you need to find specific materials to build specific construction materials to create specific buildings.

What I mean is that you need to find lots of rocks and some gravel and mud to create bricks (from rocks) and concrete (from gravel and mud) just to create one house or something like that...

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
It's sort of already going down that route, with a tiered crafting system (red ore, red crystals, red ingots) at the minute we have plenty of resources, it's a matter of finding more stuff to build!

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Have finally got around to putting some stuff together for an Alpha Demo.  I don't have many testers right now, so I'm just opening up the alpha demo for all to try out and hopefully I'll get any reports of problems or bugs from this.  the game is fairly basic in flesh (there's little text, all straight to the point and no flavour texts, the exploration maps are smaller than they might become, that type of thing) but the skeleton is there; the tools should all work fine, as well as weapon switching, quest checking and the new fog of war effect. 

As always, details and download link are on my blog:
http://pixelbrady.wordpress.com/

Have fun! :)

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I like the concept of this, I'm interested to see how you implement all these things you say it has. Keep up the good work :D