RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I'm starting a spriting commission website, and I have a quick question.

Poll

How much would you be willing to pay for COMPLETE graphical expansion packs to RMVX or RMXP? (Complete=sprite sets, poses, battlers for Melody/Tatenkai, tiles ect)

10$ per pack
5 (41.7%)
20$ per pack
0 (0%)
30$ per pack
1 (8.3%)
40$ per pack or more
0 (0%)
None--I don't pay for graphics.
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
I've misplaced my pants.
Hey all! I haven't been much of a poster around here, so I'm sure I'm unfamiliar to... Well, mostly everyone. I'm a full time commission artist. For those who know of it, I'm the artist providing sprites for Americana Dawn http://americanadawn.bitbonton.com/.

I've been planning for a while to set up a proper website to help expand my commission business. While working a few weeks ago, my husband suggested an idea to me--why not make graphic "packs" available for sale on the website? I countered back that asking people to pay for character sets was crazy since there are a lot of high quality things out there for free. He shook his head and explained that he didn't just mean a character set here or there--he meant entire expansion packs of graphics.

A full set of graphics--enough for a game. Battlers for the Melody or Tantenkai systems. Custom face graphics. Graphics to fit in with the existing RTP or sets that fit with their own unique style for people who hate the RTP. Something to provide graphics for people who want to set games in modern times or the future.

Of course, I would also offer additional services, such as making custom protagonists. It would give people's games the look of a custom graphic artists for a much lower cost while still allowing them to have their own unique parties. I'd also offer some freebies, of course. Oh, and normal commission offers as well (doing custom graphics for games, photo editing, ect)

I'm sure such a thing would be useful for the community, but I'm not sure about charging for it. So I figured I'd ask the people who would be making use of such a thing. Would you pay for it? If so, how much? What would you like to see come out first? What graphical services would you want available?

Make requests, comments, and everything here. I thank you for any and all feedback--it'll help me put together the best website possible.

Rep:
Level 57
RMRK Junior
I voted for 10$
That's the price I am paying now on the official forum.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:53:35 AM by Chaos17 »

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I voted for 10$

I like how your original post was probably the most incorrect I've seen you do.  The majority of Americana Dawn is custom graphics, not edits.

At any rate, the cost just depends on the quantity you are using.  As a graphic artist myself, I would suggest going for 20-30 dollar range.  I'll leave the poll alone simply because the option I would choose is "None--I don't pay for graphics."
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
Isn't 7USD for just one NPC a bit high?
Just my thoughts, though.  ;)
なんでやねん

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
I've misplaced my pants.
I voted for 10$

I like how your original post was probably the most incorrect I've seen you do.  The majority of Americana Dawn is custom graphics, not edits.

At any rate, the cost just depends on the quantity you are using.  As a graphic artist myself, I would suggest going for 20-30 dollar range.  I'll leave the poll alone simply because the option I would choose is "None--I don't pay for graphics."

Hee hee, I don't pay for graphics either. :3

About 30$ is what I was thinking too in terms of complete sets (and by complete, I mean enough for a whole game, so probably 30 or so character sets). I'm still not sure if the community would go for that, though.

Not sure what that bit about Americana Dawn being edits was about though--I can assure you the sprites are custom. I'm elbow deep in them right now. LOL They're done in the style I use for Project Ark.

Really I'm not sure if I want to go this route yet, since I'm not sure I'd have enough takers to make it worth it. I'm glad I'm getting some responses though, it helps a lot. I'm gonna wait and see what more people think--so far there's definitely not a consensus. Would it help if I made some samples and put them up here?

Rep:
Level 57
Everything about Rendered Fate
You're doing whole packs, right?

If this is the case, an example to roughly follow [and by roughly, I mean to taste], are the packs from Enterbrain, who release whole RTP sets for like 20$ a pack.

I'd still vote for 10$ a pack, simply for the sheer sake of fanmade stuff, and that most people wouldn't pay 20$ for something they will use on one game.
Link to my game is here.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45507.0.html
Feedback will be nice to get, constructive or otherwise.