RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Colour Coding Messages - with reference image!

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Feel free to (re)move this thread if there's a similar one around, somewhere, but I never found one and figure that if I was wonderin', someone else may do so too :)

I'm also not sure if this applies exactly to other makers, since I know 2k3 at least had it so I'm assuming they all do, but not sure if all the colours codes apply exactly or if they differ between the makers.

Colour coding a message:
Code: [Select]
\c[*]
Where * is the number of the colour you wish to use.  Simple as that :D

Code in 0 to get back to white, if the colours change multiple times over the same message.
Note also that the colour will only remain the same in each textbox, reverting back to white automatically in each new area.

2K3/XP/VX can only colour code things within the "show message" function of the game, altough scripts can allow coding outwith these areas.
VXA has the ability to colour code virtually anything that allows you to type; messages, details, skills, states etc.

What all the colours look like in game:
Spoiler for:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:21:09 AM by Brady »

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
The colour code is
\c[*]

instead of /c[*]

The direction of the slash does make a difference :P

You should also note that the colour code only works per textbox.
Meaning that you can't use yellow on one textbox and expect it to continue into another without reinitialising it.

:)
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
The colour code is
\c[*]

instead of /c[*]

The direction of the slash does make a difference :P

I've sat here for two hours coding in colours and item codes into absolutely eveyrthing then decide to post this up here and suddenly I'm screwing it up! D:
Bloody typical! :'(

Thanks for pointin' that out.  Also added that in and a mention about it affecting skill/item names etc.  Happen to know if that does work on other makers, out of curiosity?

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Colour coding still works the same for both VX & XP.

You also can't colour code on items in VX
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Whoops, I meant item details!  Fixed :)

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
No, VX and XP can only use colour codes for message boxes. :)
You can't colour code skills or items (name or description), nor state names, nor actor descriptions.

You can colour code those things in VXA, but XP & VX only allow you to do so in a message box (AKA 'Show Text' command).

You CAN get some scriptsthat will allow you to colour code those things, but by default it's not gonna happen.
Just another thing that makes VXA a little better than other makers :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:59:22 AM by D&P3 »

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Hells yeah!  Totes love it myself.  Although the item name cannae be colour coded to appear within the inventory window, the colour codes will appear in the "whoever used whatever" window, which is nice...but not worth havin' the clunky code appear in the inventories.  I wouldn't want to colour code items anwyyas, would be a bit...bit too many for my tastes.

Either way, cheers for that :D

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
A little late here, but you should mention that the colours in which the text show up in VX and VXA are determined by the colour palette in the windowskin. The colour palette are the 32 colours in the lower right hand corner of the windowskin graphics, as shown in the attachment. The order is as follows:

Changing the colours in the palette don't only affect the colours you can choose either, but some of those colours are set to other aspects of the game. Colour 0 is the normal colour for all text (things like the name of items in the equipment or inventory scene), while colour 16 is the system colour (things like the names of the equipment slots). Those are the most important colours in the palette, but other colours are used for other things in the game as well. In VXA for instance, these colours are:

• Normal Colour - Colour 0
  • System Colour - Colour 16
  • Crisis (Low Health) Colour - Colour 17
  • Knockout (Dead) Colour - Colour 18
  • Gauge Back Colour - Colour 19
  • HP Gauge Colour 1 - Colour 20
  • HP Gauge Colour 2 - Colour 21
  • MP Gauge Colour 1 - Colour 22
  • MP Gauge Colour 2 - Colour 23
  • MP Cost Colour - Colour 23
  • Power Up Colour - Colour 24
  • Power Down Colour - Colour 25
  • TP Gauge Colour 1 - Colour 28
  • TP Gauge Colour 2 - Colour 29
  • TP Cost Colour - Colour 29

With the exception of the TP colours and the MP cost colour, the same list goes for VX. So if you are changing those colours of the palette, you'll have to be aware that you are also changing the colours of those in-game colours.

I don't remember if you can change the colour palettes in XP or 2k3.

As for the VXA database, the only things that the colour codes work for by default are things like item descriptions that would show up in help windows (and the actor description as well). They actually don't work for things like item names or the vocabulary terms.

All in all though, it's a nice tutorial - it is good to draw people's attention to this feature.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:10:44 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 58
Attraction of goodwill
So that's how you color code...

Sometimes I wonder if I need psychiatric help :'(