RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What kind of music do you listen to when creating your game?

Rep:
Level 56
RMRK Junior
We all have something that inspires us to create. Music is an easy sort of muse because you can listen to something familiar and it doesn't tax your attention span too much. In many cases, it can even help get those creative juices flowing.

So, I am interested in learning what kind of music people listen to, and how it inspires them. This is sort of a game as well, as I will ask that the next poster try and guess what kind of game/story their game is/includes. I know that's vague, but I'm not looking for definite answers. Basically, I just want to know what these things call to mind in another person. I am not sure if I or we could learn anything from that, but the idea struck me and I thought I'd try this little game.

So, without further ado, I'll start:

I'm a huge Bob Dylan fan. I've annoyed plenty of roommates at college with Dylan's, admittedly, sub-par singing voice (I still contend that his voice can be quite pleasant on older records, even if it isn't great). I'm especially fond of listening to these:
-When the Ship Comes in
-Desolation Row
-Knocking on Heaven's Door (also GNR version)
-It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (also Hole version--I had it in my mind to do a commercial game, so, if I wasn't, this song and this version would be in the game.)
-Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
-Like A Rolling Stone
-The Gates of Eden
-Subterranean Homesick Blues
-Maggie's Farm (also Rage Against the Machine version)
-It's All Right Ma
-With God on Our Side

I also love Johnny Cash. The man has a voice of a preacher--a preacher I'd actually like to listen to and not the pinheads I grew up listening to (who totally turned me away from organized religion).

The Who's "We Don't Get Fooled Again" comes up a lot.

The Beatles. The entire discography. There's a mix of positive and what I perceive as pessimistic sensibility that appeals to me.

TV on the Radio. "Ambulance" and other songs. For some of the character and relationship drama, these are inspiring.

Pearl Jam. Lot's of Pearl Jam.

The Civil Wars -- I love Folk Americana. It's nice to hear Country music that doesn't sound insincere.

I'm not a huge rap fan, but I do listen to Tupac and Eminem--sometimes. I like Eminem's stuff that is raw and honest, even if it is just angry.

The Doors "When You're Strange" and "Break on Through"

Arcade Fire. I'm actually still on the fence as to whether or not I really like them. The subjects are appealing, the music isn't always. But I do have the Suburban War album and I do listen to it. It may be aimed at someone slightly younger than myself, though. I'm not sure if I connect with all of it.

Billy Joel. I feel like I'm going to get flak for that one. I usually do. To me, though, the man was a genius. I like his storytelling in his music. "Captain Jack" is my favorite.

Pink Floyd. Mainly The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. And Wish You Were Here. I grew up on them. My dad played them a lot. They probably had more of a profound effect on my development than any classic rock band should on a kid born in '89.

Nat King Cole.

Billy Holiday -- I don't know why. One of my gay friends turned me on to her, and my straight friends won't let me live it down. I guess I like the pain in her voice. I like the sense of destitution.

I actually like Green Day. Pre-American Idiot. And by all logic I should like American Idiot. It pertains to my experiences in my culture, but I just don't like it.

Roy Orbison - "In Dreams" It made it into my playlist after watching "Blue Velvet". And for some reason I keep getting drawn to it when writing.

I prefer more thoughtful music than just music that rages against this or that social paradigm. For that reason, punk rock never completely appealed to me. I'd rather examine an idea or issue than bitch about it. Still, the grunge-rock era of music appeals to me, and Nirvana and Soundgarden are inspirational mainstays.

Patsy Cline. I prefer my love songs sweet, pathetic, and tragic.

Alice in Chains - Quite possibly my favorite band. It's between that, Pearl Jam, and (at the risk of making a faux pas) The Beatles.  More thoughtful and atmospheric than other bands of the era of their heyday, they certainly broke free of the "grunge" label they got stuck with early on.

The Gorrilaz -- They have a really good mix of artists and styles. Most music today feels like such an annoying jumble of sounds and things, but Gorrilaz blends their elements perfectly. I just find their music mostly fun, and the fact that it's mostly done in the context of the lives of their fake cartoon band, it's so fun to listen to and just let your imagination write a situation in for the song that is different.

Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Jopilin, and The Rolling Stones (the R&B stuff only--whenever they tried to follow trends, well, they were less successful than the Beatles were at it) round out my playlist. I also have the score for Pan's Labyrinth for listening, and some videogame music from Final Fantasy and Bioshock.

And, really, one of my favorite things to do is listen to the radio and see what kind of scenes pop up in my head. Increasingly, those scenes relate to my project. If I can't get a scene in my head from the music, then I have a hard time being interested. A lot of the top 40 stuff right now just isn't doing it for me, but hey, the top 40 in any era tends to be full of crap.

That was a long list. Anyways, I'm interested in seeing what other people listen to, and also what that calls to the minds of others.

EDIT: I forgot Radiohead. At first, I didn't think much of them. I actually didn't like O.K. Computer at first, but, I guess it just grew on me the more I thought about it.

I support:

Rep:
Level 55
Yeah :)
We all have different taste in music... And to be honest, your taste sort of sickens me (no offense). I don't respect you any less >.<. I listen to ATTOJ, and VoM.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
What the fuck is ATTOJ and VoM?

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Veil of Maya and some other shitty scenecore band

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Makes sense.

Rep:
Level 55
Yeah :)
Veil of Maya and some other shitty scenecore band

Rep:
Level 59
Practice makes Petrucci!
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Gold - GIAW 11 (Normal)
It depends really. Sometimes I just can't have music on at all because... Well, I just can't. But when I am listening to music, it differs from Nobuo Uematsu's Final Fantasy tracks, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend, Iron Maiden... I love music, but I have the unfortunate habit of listening to the same stuff again and again, haha!
"Pursue happiness with diligence."

http://soundcloud.com/progfox

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
Well, I'll try to keep the OP. I would guess that with the music you listen Cloudfall you'll tend to do Steampunk sort of games (A mix of middleage and futurist lineart). Am I near?

I'll share with you the common music I listen to:
http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Sin+Fronteras/39396963

I try to be open minded in music but avoiding comercial cliches, I mean, I've got no problem in listenning Metallica, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Dire Straits, etc, etc, etc, and the rest of old glories; but I try not to listen easy/commercial music like Lady Gaga, Alejandro Sanz, all the Disney Channel "Music School" and that sort of music...

So, in general, I listen almost everithing, mainly rock and it's substyles (Metallica, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Scorpion...); but also love Michael Jackson, some rap like Chojin (spanish), folk from all around the world (From USA with Country music with Johny Cash, to East Europe folk like Emir Kusturika, going trough Irish folk mixed with rock like Flogging Molly and spanish Flamenco...)

Also have a place for "Classical Music" being somehow in love with Tchaikovsky, Wagner or Bach... and some "Indie" bands like Vetusta Morla, Artic Monkeys or Love of Lesbian or Grunge with Pearl Jam or Nirvana. Also love Elvis... and Jazz (but don't know too much about it).

I think I listen almost everything that I consider "good music", I'm just not interested in what it's called Techno/Industrial music.

For more understanding just check the playlist above.

Rep:
Level 94
That is not what steampunk is.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Usually some king of movie or game OST. Right now I'm listening to a lot of Dragon Age music.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
Whatever music I currently like, usually shitty scenecore bands like DrSword, lots of La Dispute

SOON
Rep:
Level 72
Jomarcenter - MJM
i just listen to music that was used in some other non-rm rpg games.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Old school European Trance/Techno/Jumpstyle. It keeps me energetic, I guess.

Rep:
Level 59
Practice makes Petrucci!
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Gold - GIAW 11 (Normal)
Well, I'll try to keep the OP. I would guess that with the music you listen Cloudfall you'll tend to do Steampunk sort of games (A mix of middleage and futurist lineart). Am I near?

I just do whatever good idea hits me :) Steampunk has never been a good idea though, can't stand the style really, haha!
"Pursue happiness with diligence."

http://soundcloud.com/progfox

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
That is not what steampunk is.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA</a>

if you try & edit my custom title i will hack you
Rep:
Level 66
Im PRO get used to it!
dubstep...all of it hundreds repeat after repeat.:blizj: mainly scatta by skrillex.

Spoiler for projects:
God of Darkness
Devils nest
Unnamed Games(2)
The CREW experience

Rep: +0/-0Level 58
RMRK Junior
Jeez. When I had XP, I would listen to one song endlessly. One-Winged Angel from Final Fantasy: Advent Children. >w< I dunno why, but I swear, I probably listened to that one song for an hour.

Um, aside from that, there's also my mild collection of various video game and classical music. o3o

Rep:
Level 74
RGSS Scripter
I'm listening to Hands Up and Techno :)
Mostly, Empyre One ;)
I'm crazy as much as I want to be.

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
NONE O_O It'd probably be better if I did though...

Rep:
Level 55
RMRK Junior
Oh man, how to answer in just one post. I'll say generally Classic Rock, but not limited to that.

Elmore James
Bob Marley
John Lee Hooker
Gordon Lightfoot - got to put a ghost in a wishing well in one of my games
Sam Cooke
Willie Dixon
Professor Longhair
Taj Mahal
The Clash

Then all your usual Classic Rock suspects: Led Zepellin, Billy Joel, The Kinks, Dr. Hook, Bob Seger, Joan Jett, AC/DC, The Grateful Dead, Stevie Ray Vaughan, ...

Keeps my 'monkey mind' occupied listening so that the creative ideas can come through.

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
Pingu songs!
P.S. I killed Ganon because he said I am childish.(My older(and deleted)game:Fa[e]ces of Evil)

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
:)
I genuinely believe this topic is worth reviving; I find it quite interesting. I actually listen to the music that goes with the map I'm working on in RM; helps me get the vibe right. I generally choose the music before making the map and base the map around that.
If I'm scripting etc I'll put iTunes on shuffle; it's just full of all the dance music I download (generally techno, house) and a few folk bands. I don't think that helps though, lyrics are quite distracting when you've got variables and classes coming out of your ears
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer
Why am I 'training wheels'??

Rep:
Level 55
Infected with the sickness.
Wow, theres alot of music I listen to when I am working on my project. I have found out though that listening to different kind of music sets me into moods for different parts of my game haha! Like if Im making something grand and violent in a cutscene for example, I tend to listen to Metal..

Another song that I listen to alot when trying to make something emotinal is Radiohead - Creep, It really sets me into the right mindset, and it keeps poping up when Im trying to make something touchy  ;D
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
Actually I usually listen to the game soundtrack when I create it (the game), that way I can create the maps based on feel of the music itself, instead of relying on complicated map creation thoughts (what to put where), which is important yes, but music for me helps create the feel of the game.
Check out

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Actually I usually listen to the game soundtrack when I create it (the game), that way I can create the maps based on feel of the music itself, instead of relying on complicated map creation thoughts (what to put where), which is important yes, but music for me helps create the feel of the game.

This is what I do too.
For me it helps to listen to whatever music I use in the scene I'm creating. I find it easier to get my dialogue for characters right that way.
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Why am I necroposting?
Be'cus I wus goin 2 make a topic liek dis 1, but then sawd he had awredy bean maid,

Music I listen to-
 Game OST (Yohi's Island and stuff, nostalgias)

Also, this \/

What about y'all?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 83
Love SOSA
Just watched Drive for the 5th time today. Addicted to 3 songs in this order:
Desire - Under Your Spell
College feat. Electric Youth - A Real Hero
Kavinsky & Lovefoxxx - Nightcall

I can map all day while listening to these. ((( q-.-p )))

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\ô/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
I always listening to gothic music like Illuminate, Blutengel, Black Heaven, Mantus, Lacrimosa, Staubkind and many other bands.  :blizj:
Sometimes I listen to metal like Fear Factory and Testament. \m/
But if I need to set music or soundeffects for locations, I can't listen to music, what is kinda sad.  :(

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Soma FM's "Drone Zone" tends to help my creative process.

Rep:
Level 43
For me it changed a bit, I almost listen all the time to ponify.me or listen to MLP fan made tracks. :D  :blizj:

Rep:
Level 41
Hey Sexy Girlfriend!!!
Necroposting DX

For me it depends on what part I'm working on. If its a funny scene, probably Tenacious D or Psychostick. And adventure map, Blind Guardian and 3 Inches Of Blood. A battle scene, 3 Inches of blood.
"I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...."

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
Chronically Spontaneous
For me it depends on what part I'm working on.

^This. But narrowed down to town/city/dungeon. Well, town/dungeon at the moment, because I haven't gotten that far yet :P

I'm one of those people who's mood is strongly affected by the music they're listening to. And the things I can create are strongly affected by my mood.
So for towns, villages or any peaceful scene, I listen to classical. Piano or violin (violin does things to me) - but never Vivaldi. I don't care what history says, Vivaldi sucked.

For dungeons my playlist is mostly Abney Park, Pocketwatch, Bluejuice, Audioslave and Queen.

As for cities, I haven't prepared a playlist yet, but it'll probably mostly be classic rock, maybe with some electro and synthpop thrown in to mix things up a bit. Pretty much the same stuff as what I listen to whenever I'm really busy.
Spoiler for Current Project:
Chrononauts V: The Time Between Moments
[Working Title]
The first and final game in the epic Chrononauts series

Survived the kraaken and weeaboos. No power at home. Back when I learn to fix the electricity.

Rep:
Level 40
Absolutely useless
I have this neat little iphone app called Songza with different playlists and such. I usually listen to the playlists Complextro Glitch Bangers (which is, well, complextro mostly), Witchy Thug Grrrl Pop (Crystal Castles, Sleigh Bells, Grimes, that kinda stuff) and Indie Dancefloor Workout.

Outside of that, I like listening to Chairlift, The Knife, the Touhou OST, Bikini Kill, Blood Red Shoes and Kate Nash.
( °д°) Even in your topic, F.O.E.!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Mostly Trance, Speedcore, and related.

Also WTF is Witchy Thug Grrrl Pop?

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I like trance, it keeps the brain sedated just enough to make things clear. Kaskade, Deadmau5, Aarmin van Buren... dem doods. On the other hand, anything repetitive works; I also like the 30 minute version of Corridors of TIme from the Chrono Resurrection ST.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
This Stuff  <-- Good trance stuff mainly. It seems that is a common answer though haha.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 40
Absolutely useless
Mostly Trance, Speedcore, and related.

Also WTF is Witchy Thug Grrrl Pop?

As I said, it's not a genre, it's a Songza playlist. I'm not sure which genres the music in it would be classified in, but it's the kinda stuff that The Knife, Crystal Castles and AlunaGeorge make.
( °д°) Even in your topic, F.O.E.!

Rep:
Level 43
Well, most time I listen to this stuff from here:
https://eqbeats.org/

It reaches from Trance, Dubstep to Metall and Ballads. :) (\s/)

Rep:
Level 75
Moose Warrior of the Moose Brigade
Well like most people already made a note of on here, it depends on what part of the game you're working on. I like to try and set the mood for area by listening to something that will match the sort of atmosphere. Me I mainly listen to metal, but I don't limit myself to just that. I like to listen to a bunch of different music. I quite like a lot of classical stuff or something more influenced by classical music, same goes with like jazz and funk. A lot of old 80's rock, maybe even some abstract stuff here and there. Not big into the electronic/techno, rap, or country, but that's just personal taste. Also, game soundtracks from games that I really enjoyed as well as the music to go with it is real nice too. If i'm stuck on something and need to get my brain jogging I like to listen to some progressive or technical stuff. And from there I can usually find something within my library of tunes a little more mellow or aggressive while still staying in the technical/progressive genres.

For some mellow (but still has some bite to it) I might listen to something like; Art By Numbers, some of The HAARP Machine, some Corelia, Muse, Coheed And Cambria, Evan Brewer, Mendel, Ninjaspy, Tool.
Some of them have some mellow songs along with more heavier songs so, for more aggressiveness I'd probably turn to stuff like; Obscura, The Zenith Passage, All Shall Perish, Beyond Creation, Derelict, Divinity, some Job For A Cowboy, The Faceless, Revocation or what have you  :blizj:
This kinda stuff will get me inspired. Some people would probably need different styles of music to fit their needs, this is just my 2 cents, whatever works for you guys
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking until you do succeed