RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
To Do or Not To Do? Ability Help [2k3]

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
So I'm having issues deciding on what I should do with a specific set of abilities for my game. I have 3 separate sets of abilities (Weapon Bless, Armor Elemental Bless, and Armor Status Bless. Originally there was a Weapon Elemental/Status Bless, but I dropped the Status Bless for that due to not wanting to manually put in 2000 items again due to 2k9's inability to copy/paste things...and it's just too much work). The problem I'm having is deciding what I should do with the Armor Status Bless. You see, there's roughly 70 armor total in my game that everyone can use (roughly 25-28 characters total. Don't mind the characters right now). So here's the original ability list for Status Bless:

Instant Death, Poison, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Confusion, Sleep, Paralyze, Amnesia, Venom, Petrify, Freeze, Slow, Stop.

Today, I decided that it'd be best to merge some of these into one ability to save me time and space. This is what it is right now:

Instant Death, Blind, Silence, Sleep, Petrify, Antibody (Poison + Venom), Clear Headed (Berserk + Confusion + Amnesia), Locomotion (Paralyze + Slow + Stop), and Body Temperature (Freeze + Heat).

Each of these skills give a "dummy" status to the character (for instance Instant Death will give all allies, since all of these abilities are AoE, the DeathS status). Depending on the status the character has, a Common Event will switch their current armor with an armor associated with the status (unless the armor already has 100% resistance, in which case the status does nothing. Anything NOT 100% however, will be raised to 100%. So if an armor gives Death -40%, Instant Death would make it give Death -100% instead). Each status is set to 20 turns, 100% chance to recover each turn (so it ends exactly after 20 turns have passed, this being all enemies/allies).

Now here's the problem I'm having. This particular skillset is going to a character that desperately needs to be better (she's currently ranked as worst or 2nd worst character in the game), which should hopefully make that character much more useful as a support character. However, I do not know if having these merged will make them too powerful, or if I should have them as single abilities (much more work, and not nearly as powerful, but gives more variety I suppose, and can make MP usage easier?). So yeah...I could use some feedback on this particular issue before I start working on it, which will be as soon as I finish the Armor Elemental Bless segment (which is going to take quite some time anyways...).

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
It sounds like a great idea to me, If you can do it. Its not like it would break the game. If you had a skill with an all encompassing resist to everything, that would be a different story. Even that could be made balanced by taking a huge chunk of Mp and lasting only a couple turns.

Edit:these are skills right? or are they armors with a resistance on them? I can't tell

either way I still think It is a good idea

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:29:16 PM by zexx »

Rep:
Level 85
Skills that grant the temporary resists. For instance, if you used the Blind skill (which will affect the entire party), and let's say everyone has an Atlas equipped (which has no status resist on it), then everyone would change their Atlas to a Blind Atlas, which has 100% resist to Blind. The status (BlindS) only lasts up to 20 turns, so after that it goes away. While THAT'S in effect, if you were to cast another ability (let's say Poison), that ability would not come into effect UNTIL after Blind wears off.

In that case, unless you have every fight taking that many turns, it may hurt more than help. However if every boss/enemy group only had 1 status to worry about then it might be a bit ridiculous to be protected that long.

Idk though I guess it comes down to how you have it set up. If the boss fight is still a challenge once you strip the status from him, then it might be fine. You just have to scale the difficulty depending on how you choose to implement the skill.

However, having those ability's in general sounds like a great skill to implement. However, it does seem to take some time to do so.

Rep:
Level 85
It'll probably take me another month to fully implement it just like Weapon Bless and Armor Elemental Bless. On the sidenote of the turns, keep in mind that "Turns" in 2k3 literally means all turns. This includes the character with the status, all of that character's allies, AND all enemy turns. So if you have 4 party members in your party and fighting roughly 4 enemies, it'll last maybe 3 turns. MAYBE...I'm not exactly sure on how the thing works half the time, I really don't.

Ah true it's been a while since I messed with rpg maker. In that case, it sounds balanced.