A Treasure Scan Tutorial/Recipe for RPG Maker VX
So, I came up with a basic string of events for a little scanning system I am going to implement in Rendered Fate, and I figured I'd give publicizing it a go. Please note this tut is written with the assumption that you won't need screenshots or help, there's boundless other tuts that explain how an event system can work and such, I figure people can find out what I'm talking about.
Here is what you'll need:Part 1:
- 1 Skill for scanning [i.e. "Sector Scan"]
- 2 Common Events
- 3 Variables
- 1 Switch
To start, make you scan skill that calls the 2nd common event. Make sure you can only cast it outside of a combat situation.
Next, set the 2nd common event with a conditional branch, whether or not the switch is turned on or not.
- If yes, call the 1st event.
- If no, create either a textbox or SE setup signifying failure. [You can really do whatever here, these are just the simplest to do.]
For the 2nd common event, have it include 3 variable-based conditional branches. [or more, add to style][2 control 1 variable, 1 controls the other.] Make SURE that the branches are separate from each other or it will not work properly.
The 1st variable branch wil determine whether or not you find money or a powerup. Have its condition whether or not the 1st variable is equal to 1. [or whatever # you choose]
- If yes, have it give a random amount of money and show a text showing exactly how much.
- If no, have it give a random amount of a certain powerup with a text bow showing it.
The 2nd variable branch will determine whether or not you find a "monster-in-a-box" enemy or an item of your choosing. its condition should determine whether the 2nd variable is equal to 1. [or whatever # you choose]
- If yes, have it process a selected boss battle from what the 3rd variable decides. Try to let it select from a strict amount of battles, but ultimately that is your choice. Keep the text box for the explanation.
- If no, have it give the item you specified with a text box showing it.
The 3rd variable branch will determine a random stock of restoratives or a special event of your choice. Have its condition determine whether or not the 1st variable is equal to 2. [or whatever # you choose.]
- If yes, have it give an amount of restoratives, you "can" use variables for this, but it's your choice, so that's optional. Don't forget the revealing textbox.
- If no, have it do a special event of your choice, with that all important textbox explaining it.PART 2:
This is for events that trigger the scan system. Each individual event must consist of actually FIVE event tiles, 1 on the tile you want, and 1 on adjacent tiles, creating a plus sign shape. This is where the switch comes in. Have the center event tile activate the switch, and the outer tiles de-activate it. have it set up so that when you scan the center tile, it triggers the event system and activates a self-switch leading to a dis-allowing page.
Do this, and your scan system should work.
If this was helpful, or if you have advice to refine, change, or remake entirely the system, let me know. I'm pretty sure events systems won't require credit due to their IMMENSE customizability, so do what you will with it.