RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Treasure Scan Eventing Tutorial

Rep:
Level 57
Everything about Rendered Fate
A Treasure Scan Tutorial/Recipe for RPG Maker VX
Author:
Revtattertot

So, I came up with a basic string of events for a little scanning system I am going to implement in Rendered Fate, and I figured I'd give publicizing it a go. Please note this tut is written with the assumption that you won't need screenshots or help, there's boundless other tuts that explain how an event system can work and such, I figure people can find out what I'm talking about.

Here is what you'll need:

Part 1:
  • 1 Skill for scanning [i.e. "Sector Scan"]
  • 2 Common Events
  • 3 Variables
  • 1 Switch

To start, make you scan skill that calls the 2nd common event. Make sure you can only cast it outside of a combat situation.

Next, set the 2nd common event with a conditional branch, whether or not the switch is turned on or not.

- If yes, call the 1st event.

- If no, create either a textbox or SE setup signifying failure. [You can really do whatever here, these are just the simplest to do.]

For the 2nd common event, have it include 3 variable-based conditional branches. [or more, add to style][2 control 1 variable, 1 controls the other.] Make SURE that the branches are separate from each other or it will not work properly.

The 1st variable branch wil determine whether or not you find money or a powerup. Have its condition whether or not the 1st variable is equal to 1. [or whatever # you choose]

- If yes, have it give a random amount of money and show a text showing exactly how much.

- If no, have it give a random amount of a certain powerup with a text bow showing it.

The 2nd variable branch will determine whether or not you find a "monster-in-a-box" enemy or an item of your choosing. its condition should determine whether the 2nd variable is equal to 1. [or whatever # you choose]

- If yes, have it process a selected boss battle from what the 3rd variable decides. Try to let it select from a strict amount of battles, but ultimately that is your choice. Keep the text box for the explanation.

- If no, have it give the item you specified with a text box showing it.

The 3rd variable branch will determine a random stock of restoratives or a special event of your choice. Have its condition determine whether or not the 1st variable is equal to 2. [or whatever # you choose.]

- If yes, have it give an amount of restoratives, you "can" use variables for this, but it's your choice, so that's optional. Don't forget the revealing textbox.

- If no, have it do a special event of your choice, with that all important textbox explaining it.

PART 2:

This is for events that trigger the scan system. Each individual event must consist of actually FIVE event tiles, 1 on the tile you want, and 1 on adjacent tiles, creating a plus sign shape. This is where the switch comes in. Have the center event tile activate the switch, and the outer tiles de-activate it. have it set up so that when you scan the center tile, it triggers the event system and activates a self-switch leading to a dis-allowing page.

Do this, and your scan system should work.

If this was helpful, or if you have advice to refine, change, or remake entirely the system, let me know. I'm pretty sure events systems won't require credit due to their IMMENSE customizability, so do what you will with it.

Cheers,
Revtattertot.
Link to my game is here.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45507.0.html
Feedback will be nice to get, constructive or otherwise.

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Hey, thanks for the recipe idea, this gives me an idea for a plot device skill that will let the player scan previously visited maps to find missing puzzle pieces/random encounters, information or items that may or may not be useful.  What a nice idea for giving players reasons to revisit old areas.  Kudos to the sharing of good ideas!
My Soundcloud:

RMRK Forum - Musical "Works in Progress"
I'm a Musician (Sonar X1, Piano, Guitar, game music inspired), and a visual artist/animator (Adobe Photoshop/After FX).
My musical inspirations include Sigur Ros, Pat Metheny, Andy McKee, Tool, Yokko Kanno, Yasunori Mitsuda, etc, to name a variety.
My favorite RPG series is Breath of Fire.
I love RPG's, & enjoy dabbling with RPG Maker, & am considering projects to start someday.

Rep:
Level 57
Everything about Rendered Fate
The good thing about this is that it's a bare-bone event, meaning you can add what all you want to it and it can still run.
Link to my game is here.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45507.0.html
Feedback will be nice to get, constructive or otherwise.

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Kinda makes me think of the x-ray visor in Super Metroid.  You suddenly have reasons to go search the whole game you already explored, as well as finding new clues in new areas.
My Soundcloud:

RMRK Forum - Musical "Works in Progress"
I'm a Musician (Sonar X1, Piano, Guitar, game music inspired), and a visual artist/animator (Adobe Photoshop/After FX).
My musical inspirations include Sigur Ros, Pat Metheny, Andy McKee, Tool, Yokko Kanno, Yasunori Mitsuda, etc, to name a variety.
My favorite RPG series is Breath of Fire.
I love RPG's, & enjoy dabbling with RPG Maker, & am considering projects to start someday.