RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
DP3's GIAW 9 Review

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Epic Quest - Manaxaus
blahblahblah

You missed the entire point of the game.
I think the point of the game was to do some epic adventuring with no real purpose behind it.
Like I said, you missed the entire point of the game. It was satire parodying how horrible some games are. It still sucked, but you think it sucked for all the wrong reasons.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
I would love your help! I'll send you an updated version soon and pm you about done other changes. Thanks!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
GAH SPOILERS. ._.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Contestant - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
Fair enough. I can't say I disagree with that review XD
It'll certainly help me in my current project, Scarlet Skies. I'm simply TERRIBLE with time constraints.
I had fun reading that tbh.

P.S. Thanks for complimenting my puzzles :D And I think that horrible crystal was for testing purposes, so sorry D:

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Like I said, you missed the entire point of the game. It was satire parodying how horrible some games are. It still sucked, but you think it sucked for all the wrong reasons.
I never got the impression that the game was supposed to be a parody, I just thought it sucked because it ... well, sucked.
Even if that was the point it doesn't really matter, if it was supposed to be a parody and humorous, I certainly didn't feel it, so I felt that this was an honest attempt at a game, which evidently wasn't a particularly good one.

Thinking about it though, you're probably right and maybe I did miss the point, so I'm just gonna agree with you. Though I can't be arsed playing again to see if it's possible for me to view it differently.

I would love your help! I'll send you an updated version soon and pm you about done other changes. Thanks!
Ok :)

GAH SPOILERS. ._.
Resist... urge... to... look... ;)

It'll certainly help me in my current project, Scarlet Skies. I'm simply TERRIBLE with time constraints.

P.S. Thanks for complimenting my puzzles :D And I think that horrible crystal was for testing purposes, so sorry D:
Just watch out for those required level up barriers, they annoy more than they help, the enemies are also surprisingly weak enough that I don't think it was needed in the first place.

Also those shadow feet things. Instead of warping you back to the start of the tower. Warping you back to the start of that floor would be better. :)
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Alright then :)
I still think that it would be good to add a clicking sound to the crystals if I touched the correct one.

I considered that to begin with, but then that lets the player trial-and-error it to brute force their way through the puzzle. I don't know that it would make the game better.

And your comment about the maps from before: You didn't miss anything. There are so many maps and such because the game actually has 16 characters (8 classes, male or female), with 8 variable story lines. But I knew there would be no way I could finish that much in a week. So I changed a few flags and made it a small prologue, which was more manageable. Now that the judging is over, my new build has the intro event reset and you can select your character. Just wanted to clarify that you didn't miss it.
Well maybe you could have an option of hard or normal mode that you ask the player at the start of your game and adjust the puzzles accordingly.

Also what was with the other face graphic being used when I faced the dragon?
I thought that it was supposed to mean that I had missed a companion somewhere.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I never got the impression that the game was supposed to be a parody, I just thought it sucked because it ... well, sucked.
Even if that was the point it doesn't really matter, if it was supposed to be a parody and humorous, I certainly didn't feel it, so I felt that this was an honest attempt at a game, which evidently wasn't a particularly good one.

Thinking about it though, you're probably right and maybe I did miss the point, so I'm just gonna agree with you. Though I can't be arsed playing again to see if it's possible for me to view it differently.

Ok :)

GAH SPOILERS. ._.
Resist... urge... to... look... ;)

Just watch out for those required level up barriers, they annoy more than they help, the enemies are also surprisingly weak enough that I don't think it was needed in the first place.

Also those shadow feet things. Instead of warping you back to the start of the tower. Warping you back to the start of that floor would be better. :)

lol luckily there were limitations to how far down those shadow feet warped you (I managed to play a copy just now lol)  but holy crap that was frustrating.  Also, having to grind levels with random battles to get past the 2nd floor was ass.  In my opinion, lower the monster's stats and remove the barriers.  Grinding from (what, level 6?) to level 15 or 18 or whatever to get past the second floor was just ridiculously tedious.  I liked the general idea of the game but that grinding, the Crystal (that you told me to avoid lol) and the ending story was just bad/poor. 

First of all, I get the feeling that the two main characters and the final boss guy are connected due to a race of people that were killed off long ago (that's what I gather at least from what little story was introduced).  Throughout the game, I am really given little reason to care about the main character's race of people outside of a humanistic standpoint of "oh that's horrible, wiping out a group of people like that!"  At the end, we see a story of the main badguy talking to a winged thing that is his "grandfather?"  I really don't understand the ending at all.  The story is not refined enough to go about saying that the main badguy suddenly has a soft side, really.

So, not to hijack the thread with a review of my own, this is the only other game that I have played and I can't say too much good about it except some of the puzzles were cool.

I'm surprised noone mentioned the annoying fucking ghost that was flying all over the place in places you couldn't get to like that one butterfly in that one game with the sword and the...yeah.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
I believe I mentioned that it was spasm-ing all over the place. I just didn't put a :mad: on the text.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I believe I mentioned that it was spasm-ing all over the place. I just didn't put a :mad: on the text.

lol ah I must have over-looked that part when I read it XD
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Contestant - GIAW 9
Well maybe you could have an option of hard or normal mode that you ask the player at the start of your game and adjust the puzzles accordingly.

Also what was with the other face graphic being used when I faced the dragon?
I thought that it was supposed to mean that I had missed a companion somewhere.

Looking at that it was an error on my part with the events. It has since been repaired.

A difficulty slider is something I am considering. That would eliminate the issue people seem to have. I have been testing and adjusting mob damage/health since I submitted my game. A difficulty switch for puzzles I hadn't thought of. It is doable, though.

I will consider it. Thank you for the constructive criticism.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:52:18 PM by David »
~Vae Victis!

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Yeah when I fixed things it kinda got rushed and became very very very very very very bad.
Will hopefully make it better what with the infinite time I now have.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
So, not to hijack the thread with a review of my own, this is the only other game that I have played and I can't say too much good about it except some of the puzzles were cool.
It's a review thread; if you want to put your own reviews of one of the games in the thread, I don't mind; it helps brainstorm ways for people to make their games better. :)

Yeah when I fixed things it kinda got rushed and became very very very very very very bad.
With infinite time you really don't have a reason NOT to make it better :P

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
It's a review thread; if you want to put your own reviews of one of the games in the thread, I don't mind; it helps brainstorm ways for people to make their games better. :)

lol but this is YOUR review thread XD  But yeah, putting our heads together to point out things really does help a lot.

And definitely agreed about the infinite time statement...though if it were my game, I'd probably say "ah the hell with it!" but I hope skaraflame doesn't do that cuz I'd like to see it turned into a fun dungeon-romp game.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy

lol but this is YOUR review thread XD  But yeah, putting our heads together to point out things really does help a lot.

And definitely agreed about the infinite time statement...though if it were my game, I'd probably say "ah the hell with it!" but I hope skaraflame doesn't do that cuz I'd like to see it turned into a fun dungeon-romp game.
I'm SO happy that people at least see potential this time. I'm going to gather custom resources, fix whatever needs fixing and put progressive dialogue.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
I just noticed that I had not included Illumination's entry :-[

Dream Within A Dream - Illumination™
Spoiler for Commenting as I play :):
Interesting how you’ve put words on the walls, makes it slightly more interesting to travel through this place.

:o Guy hanging off the wall… *hops in the boat, gets the pick-axe and cuts him free* :)

Whoa WTF, the dead guy is swinging in the top left corner of the screen D: I don’t like this ;_;

Alrighty, I think I’m done with this game … Please make sure to leave an ‘End of Demo’ text next time you’re finished. :)

Polish 7/10
Spoiler for Reasons:
The Audio and Visuals in this game were fluent with the style and theme of the game itself.

I quite liked how text was displayed on the wall to reveal some form of poetry.

Playability: 5/10
Spoiler for Reasons:
It gave me the feeling as if I was playing a classic dungeon crawler, however with no monsters to fight and no puzzles to work out, this game ended up feeling like a pointless adventure.

Ingenuity: 7/10
Spoiler for Reasons:
Whilst this game didn’t have a huge impacting storyline, it certainly gains high scores from me based on its originality.

The text on the walls contributed to this greatly.

Entertainment: 5/10
Spoiler for Reasons:
I pretty much had nothing to do in this game besides walk to the left or right and press the action button to jump onto a rope.

In other words, it was severely lacking in the entertainment department.

I don’t really have anything else to add to that.

This game was generally too short for me to make a nice constructive evaluation of it. :(

Rep:
Level 57
Noun. The act of illuminating.
Contestant - GIAW 9
Thanks for a generous review, Chris. I horribly missed with my priorities and I ended up having a short-ass game with almost no content.

I actually made the "skeleton" of the game first, to fill in content and puzzles on every map later. I ended up only having enough time to add proper content to the first hangman map, so yeah. I thank you for going so nice on me. :)

Rep:
Level 83
Contestant - GIAW 9
thanks for giving my game a score, I was not able to get the English trial to work on my comp. Thus, the Japanese version. I didn't have time to change all the japanese chars but i didn't think it would of been a problem for vet players. My only regret is the encounter rate, and the chip set errors. I didn't fully, and  (still dont) understand how everything fits together. ( i'll will be posting a video on how game play should of went.)  (glad to say i will not be fixing or remaking this game) ;"D Caves were dark cause you needed to have candles,. When done right, you really don't need to run from a single battle. (guess i should of made it more pr friendly) I did rush everything and i was under the impression that a semi working demo would of been okay.  Guess it was less then semi lol..

And yes the game had some (if not a lot) of fundamental flaws. I still had fun trying to make it. ;"D
Who said i was Wack?

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
Looking at that it was an error on my part with the events. It has since been repaired.

A difficulty slider is something I am considering. That would eliminate the issue people seem to have. I have been testing and adjusting mob damage/health since I submitted my game. A difficulty switch for puzzles I hadn't thought of. It is doable, though.

I will consider it. Thank you for the constructive criticism.
I understand that the point of your game is for it to be difficult by default, the problem is more along the lines of how quickly you amp up that difficulty, the dragon and the endless spiders made the game much more difficult than it needed to.

But a difficulty slider would probably solve that. :)

I'm SO happy that people at least see potential this time. I'm going to gather custom resources, fix whatever needs fixing and put progressive dialogue.
Good luck, I'll look forward to it being updated.

Thanks for a generous review, Chris. I horribly missed with my priorities and I ended up having a short-ass game with almost no content.

I actually made the "skeleton" of the game first, to fill in content and puzzles on every map later. I ended up only having enough time to add proper content to the first hangman map, so yeah. I thank you for going so nice on me. :)
At the very least it was different from the other entries, so I thank you for doing something different :)

thanks for giving my game a score, I was not able to get the English trial to work on my comp. Thus, the Japanese version. I didn't have time to change all the japanese chars but i didn't think it would of been a problem for vet players. My only regret is the encounter rate, and the chip set errors. I didn't fully, and  (still dont) understand how everything fits together. ( i'll will be posting a video on how game play should of went.)  (glad to say i will not be fixing or remaking this game) ;"D Caves were dark cause you needed to have candles,. When done right, you really don't need to run from a single battle. (guess i should of made it more pr friendly) I did rush everything and i was under the impression that a semi working demo would of been okay.  Guess it was less then semi lol..

And yes the game had some (if not a lot) of fundamental flaws. I still had fun trying to make it. ;"D
The Japanese characters weren't a problem, I still knew what I was doing, I just couldn't spell my own name.

The cave wasn't really all that dark to warrant lighting a candle, which is why I didn't use one. The battle on the other hand was very dark and I couldn't see anything besides the options. If a candle fixes that problem, then my mistake :P

I ended up needing to escape from every battle because if I wasn't low on health, I would get poisoned and was screwed, or I would be at a good amount of health and would walk into a cactus around 20 times which would severely screw me over.
Putting a short wait command on the cactus would allow me to realise I am walking into one before I do it another 20 times (since I'm always using the run command and don't pay much attention to walk I'm walking into).

A semi working demo is better than nothing :P

Glad you had fun making it.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Why sankyuu Chris.

Rep:
Level 83
Contestant - GIAW 9
"The Japanese characters weren't a problem, I still knew what I was doing, I just couldn't spell my own name."

when the option comes up. there is a char next to the OKAY or end Char hit this twice and English chars come up after two japanese pages,

I guess i could of added a bounce back for the cactus..;"?

hmmm the caves where suppose to have some light in them. ...and the battles being dark (was a bug i never saw on my end, saw the pic however. so sry about that.

Maybe i will fix it up ... for fun of course. no reason to let all that birds eye view go to waist. and i rather have a ABS then the default but that will take me a while to code. as when i do it. i will abuse the events and switches to high hell kekeke.
Who said i was Wack?