RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Requesting Help on Converting MP3 > OGG for game [2k3]

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
If this does not belong here, then I apologize in advance ^^;

Ok, so I have a VERY special request of anyone who is willing to help. No, this isn't about mapping (though I can still use help on that) or spriting (same dealio). This is, in fact, regarding the music files. You see, I DO intend on making the MP3 files into 0GG files for the final release (or at least get them into OGG now). However, as you already know, I am very busy with the database stuff, and quite frankly it would take me a long time to figure out how to work Audacity right and convert everything.

So, what does this mean? This mean that I would like to inquire about help with converting all of the MP3 files into OGG format. Yes, ALL of the music files in the game (or at least whichever ones you guys have right now). ANYONE that can do this, I would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated of you...no seriously. This would also cut down on how long it would take to download everything for the game too. Of course, I'll need the download links for the files AFTER the conversion and I'll have to spend quite a bit of time fixing all of the music files in-game, and everyone will have to redownload the music files for it to work in-game, but hey...less filesize, and for new people easier to get right? ^^;

Rep:
Level 71
I can do it for you (Assuming it's not to much music) :). By the way in Audactiy you just open the file and hit export and select ogg.

Rep:
Level 85
Actually....it is QUITE a bit of music lol...roughly 200 something files. That's why I said this is a VERY special request, mainly because of the sheer size of the project (this game isn't small, let me tell you).

http://www.mediafire.com/?tbk2sb9zrfbso

All of the music files in there would be needed downloaded (including the 2 in the Missing Songs folder one level up). Yes, some of them have duplicates since I kept forgetting what was in what pack (I really need to write down what's where...), so you'll probably have to get them all to make sure you HAVE them all, if you do do this. Crazy? Probably...but that's that.

Thing is, I remember doing that before, and the OGG ended up LARGER than the MP3...then I didn't bother with it afterwards because other things. @_@

Rep:
Level 71
I'll do it anyways, if the files end up larger than there isn't anything else I can do.

EDIT: so download all the packets with music?

Rep:
Level 85
Well then, I appreciate your help in this. Hopefully it doesn't bog you down too much with how much there is (yes, the music itself is what makes up the majority of the game's filesize. Reason for the MP3 > OGG is it seems many people don't want to download the game due to the sheer size of the files (though dunno how much OGG will save, and why everyone says OGG is better if it sometimes makes the files bigger *shrugs*).

Rep:
Level 71
Don't worry being 14 gives you plenty of time  ;). I'm already half way done with the first pack and the ogg files are smaller.

Rep:
Level 85
That's...pretty quick to convert. What are you using to convert these may I ask? o.O

Rep:
Level 71
Audacity

EDIT: Here's pack 1
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:39:18 AM by Todd »

Rep:
Level 85
Hold on....apparently people telling me to make the files OGG were well...I don't know what they were thinking. 2k3 only supports Midi, Wav, and MP3 files....so um...yeah. Seems that I got double screwed on this one lol. I don't know what's smaller now at all ;_; 

Ok, so now I ask, what is the best option for music now? Lowering quality of MP3? using MIDI? Using WAV? I don't know anymore, and I don't know what to do about converting and whatnot. Feel like I'm wasting peoples time now ;_;

Sorry about that Todd. Apparently I did not know about this and it annoys me that I wasted your time like that ;_;

Rep:
Level 71
I think MIDI is, it seems that WAV is double MP3. The only problem is I don't think that Audacity can convert to MIDI. I will check though.

EDIT: No sorry I can't convert to MIDI.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Keep the hell away from .wav files.

They are shitty quality for the massive size they contain.
(Seriously, three minutes of audio is around 30MB)

Midi files are the lowest memory allocation file you can find for audio, and their quality is pretty damn good.

However, MP3 files do not directly convert to midi files.

If 2k3 doesn't support ogg. Really, you're only going to be able to reduce the filesize by lowering the quality.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 85
Oh boy...so I'm stuck with MP3 regardless then. Well darn...and I have no idea how much lowering the quality would hurt the files themselves. Hmm...

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
If you've got MP3 files over 8MB

Chances are that you can lower the quality somewhat without any noticeable difference.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 82
http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=35306.0

I'm not sure but this dll for 2k and 2k3 mentions OGG so it may be able to patch your version of the software to play the files. I don't have any way of testing it out this weekend, but give it a look through and see if it does anything for you. I'd recommend backing up your project and 2k3 software before doing this, just in case it has adverse effects.

It mentions that a DirectShow filter needs to be installed first, too. You should be able to find this through google if you don't have it already.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:43:14 AM by Logan »
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)