RMRK General > General Chat

kepler 22b - Life or Gas?

<< < (2/11) > >>

firerain:
Your question is unanswerable, because they're both related to science and neither of us have the sufficient research knowledge to answer effectively. It's pretty much asking us to base an argument off our own skepticism of whether this planet could have life or not.

modern algebra:
Yay! When'd you get back, Firerain? I haven't seen you post for a long time, and this forum has been noticeably lacking a signficant Canadian presence.

But yeah, this is a rather speculative topic. Not only do I not know the answer, I don't know how I could possibly go about discovering the answer.

firerain:
Today :V I hadn't been around since like Janurary, and Roph was bugging me on Steam and I missed this place.

Sophist:

--- Quote from: Timothy on March 29, 2012, 03:04:50 AM ---Any planet could hold life. This is just one that's more appealing to us because it seems more like our planet.

--- End quote ---

This is not true. The sustainability of any life requires first the capability to create life, and then the conditions in which to keep it. Planets as near as Pluto couldn't possibly do either of those things. It's not a matter of an 'Earth-like' appeal, but rather it's located in a possible distance from the nearest star in which to facilitate human life. Our lives require a permanent amount of oxygen and water, as well as the capability to create food. This is only acceptable and possible within this certain range. It is completely possible that Kepler 22-B could contain life right now, but it's impossible to tell without being there. On this same line of thought, I believe that there is a high probability for extraterrestrial life within 600 lightyears.

Unfortunately, since it IS 600 lightyears away, we will never know about Kepler 22-B until we can disprove the special theory of relativity.

Acolyte:
What about microscopic life? Certain prokaryotes have much different life requirements than we do. There's already been speculation that some of Jupiter's moons might hold microscopic organisms.

Amoebas might not be as exciting as Klingons, but  it'd still be a pretty cool discovery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version