RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
$ and ! symbols

Rep:
Level 84
I've been searching around the interwebs for a while, but I can't seem to find what the $ and ! symbols before some charsets mean. When are they needed, and what exactly do they do?

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
The size for 1 character includes 4 directions (down, left, right, and up) and 3 patterns for a total of 12 patterns in a set order. One file should contain 2 characters vertically and 4 horizontally, for a total of 8 characters. The size of one character is calculated to be 1/12 the width and 1/8 the height of this file.

Note that in order to make overlapping with buildings appear more natural, characters are displayed 4 pixels above the tiles.

You can disable this effect by putting a "!" at the beginning of the file name. This is mainly used for object-type characters on the map, such as doors and treasure chests. It is possible to use this in conjunction with the special symbol "$".

If you put a "$" at the beginning of the file name, only one character per file will be used. In this case, the character size is 1/3 the width and 1/4 the height of the file. It is possible to use this in conjunction with the special symbol "!".

From the help file.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:30:22 PM by TDS »

Rep:
Level 84
Ah...I never thought to look at the help file...thanks.