RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMXP Mapping Tutorials!

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
RMXP Mapping Tutorials

Hi :3, IAMFORTE here bringing you a tutorial on maps. As I travel throughout the forums here and browse around on other RMXP map threads on other forums I see people constructively criticized for bad maps, People using tiles improperly, things looking barren etc. This tutorial and the ones that follow are meant to educate people whose maps may be a little lacklustre, or as a refresher to people who might have forgotten some of the super secret tricks of the RMXP mapping trade. The format of these tutorials will be informal, and I'll do my best to explain things as easily as possible.

CHAPTER 1: Basic Maping
CHAPTER 2: Events For Maps
CHAPTER 3: To be named
Spoiler for:
Not Completed

After I finish these three I plan on showing how to use each individual tileset, starting with Forest or Grassland Most likely, If anyone would like to see a certain one, by all means let me know
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:15:35 PM by Patrick 2 »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
OOO! Another tutorial! I love reading these. XP mapping can get complex, man. Thank you for sharing your expertise.
:tinysmile:

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Indeed!~

I typically use VX, but I like the XP maps. I tried to map with them and failed. So, these will come in handy next time I'm trying it out. :D Thanks!
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 62
RMRK Junior
I don't use XP because the mapping system is confusing, but this tutorial is very nice, and well presented in its pdf file. It'll do XP users a lot of good when trying to find out how to map.

Rep:
Level 57
Destroy all the monsters...
Thx for the tutorial ;)

I don't use XP because the mapping system is confusing---

Yeah is a little confused but you can make pretty cool maps.

no matter if you use classic RPT.

Spoiler for:

;8 this one from my project:

Spoiler for:

See ya' later  8)
Click me, if wanna see more charas.-->
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 62
RMRK Junior
I don't deny that XP makes some awesome maps. The problem you get is that, no matter the education, there are some people who just cannot map worth a damn. For those people, it's probably better to get involved with any other maker, because they have a chance of making their maps suck less. When those people get into XP, they don't know what they are doing and mess up, only to release an extremely noobish game.

I'm such a person (one who cannot map, that is, not necessarily a noob), but I have better luck with a simpler classic design such as VX and Ace than I do XP.

But I will agree that XP has the tools to make some great maps, as long as the designer can use the tools correctly.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
You're not incapable of mapping better, you just don't want to try.

Rep:
Level 85
These aren't dead btw XD I did 2 and 3, they just need some editing then ill submit them

@SAGAHONARTURO your maps look pretty good :3

@amerk using other makers doesn't necesarily make maps better, i've seen loads of non xp maps that suck even more than XP, I find XP to have the largest array and easiest control to make the best maps (I hate that they eliminated the layers and multitilesets in VX and still didnt bring the layers back in ace)

Rep:
Level 57
Destroy all the monsters...
@SAGAHONARTURO your maps look pretty good :3
Thx!, to do these maps -- leads me long time.

@amerk, yo' right!

and well...

the mapping is the reason why I chose for my RMXP project.

See ya' later  8)
Click me, if wanna see more charas.-->
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 85
Updated, The first tutorial was slightly rewritten, and the second tutorial was uploaded, more on the way