RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Display image ONLY on 'Player Touch'

Rep: +0/-0Level 63
RMRK Junior
Instead of town maps, my game will have the player enter houses and other areas directly from the world map, like in Chrono Trigger. I want an event that displays the name of the area when the player is next it, but the name disappears when the player walks away.

The only way I can figure out to do this is by surrounding the entrance event with events that erase the image... which is fine I guess, but I feel like there must be a more elegant way to do without cluttering the map with so many events for each entrance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:50:59 AM by Nessiah »

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Ummm, you could make a blank square on your tileset and change its terrain tag, then place it in a circle around the events, then make a common event that runs whenver the player steps on that certain terrain tag(unloading the image from memory id assume)

OR

have the player touch event run a selfswitch to a new page and have a paralell process that checks a conditional branch to see if the player is presing up down left or right, then removing the picture, and reseting the self switch.

hopefully thats enough to go on, if you have trouble let me know, I'm not the greatest at explaining things coherently.

Rep: +0/-0Level 63
RMRK Junior
Very nice! Conditional branches work nicely. Thanks a lot.

I thought of the terrain tag thing, but I don't like using invisible tiles and having to remember where they are and what they do.

I also tried conditional branches, but I guess I was doing something wrong before, hehe ^_^;

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
I'm assumming this is resolved then :)