RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] Special Statuses/Command Coding

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
And now I'm back! So I decided to FINALLY work on the Disease coding and well....it's working a BIT better, but not the way I want it to yet.

As you can see, I have the Disease variable set up exactly as the stat bonuses, so as to keep the game from constantly increasing/decreasing HP. Now the problem is, I can't figure out how to set it so that whenever the HP falls at all, that the NEW Max HP becomes the CURRENT HP (while keeping the real Max HP somewhere else so that after Disease is removed, the character's HP is returned to normal). And from the looks of it, I won't be able to make it so that if the character dies while under Disease and is revived they'll revive with 1 HP. Sadness.

Though I wonder if it doesn't have to do with this...

Since it IS calling it every turn...and I'm trying to save space by not having 20-30 more battle events used up just for this status...I'm wondering if it's possible to do in the Common Events at all now?

In addition to this, somewhat related, I also started on the Weapon/Status Bless commands. I have a status for each element/status in the game, but there's one problem. It seems that the effect doesn't STAY on (for instance, sometimes while under the Fire status (to make the weapon Fire elemental), it'll either be the correct weapon or the default one. In addition, outside of battle it doesn't always adjust the weapon correctly either.

I have yet to work on Bubble status, but that'll be next too. x_x

For those who are not aware of these statuses, here you are:

Disease: Exactly from Final Fantasy XII. Basically, HP cannot be recovered after taking damage, and the character's current HP becomes their new Max HP. For instance, if a character has 1000 Max HP, and takes 500 damage, then they cannot recover above 500 HP until the status is cured, and their Max HP becomes 500 until the status is removed. If the character is KO'd and then revived, then their Max HP is 1. I'm sure this will involve quite a few coding stuff, but if it can be done, it'll make the game more unique I think. Does not override Bubble.

Bubble: From Final Fantasy XII. Doubles Max HP as long as status is on (and completely restores HP when cast from the spell). Will override Disease.

Those are the main two right now. There is also Freeze/Heat statuses as well that's not fully implemented (and I'm trying to avoid using battle events for each status if possible) but that's for another time.

Rep:
Level 85
Ok, so I can't figure out what's wrong with Weapon Bless. I think it's due to me having the Battle Event be read every turn which is making it read it both lines continuously each turn (well, one line one turn, then another line the next. I don't know man...). Also, on Disease, still working on it, but would it be possible to set it so that if any character has the status, it turns on a special switch that could be used in the battle event, which while that switch is on, it'll check for the status in the common event (I would assume this would bypass the having to check it every turn issue that I'm having with some of these abilities, since right now having it checked every turn doesn't work...).

I'm assuming that I COULD also, theoretically, set it so that for the Reverse Doll, instead of having 28 battle events for each character that can equip the accessory (Reverse Doll full revives a KO'd character upon death), I could stick all of the coding in a Common Event, and have a Party Exhausion battle event constantly checking for that common event without having to wait a turn for it to kick in (such is the problem with Auto-Life right now).

I could really use help on these. It'd be one less thing out of my hair ;_;

Rep:
Level 85
Ok, so I figured out what the problem with Weapon Bless was (I had to make a second Common Event that triggers after battle to cleanup everything, by making a switch for that event turn on at the beginning of the battle). However, now I'm working on Disease again. I'm coming close, except there's a few things still not working right.

Coding:

Right now, everything is working fine and dandy...for the most part. HP doesn't spontaneously increase to max or decrease to max now on the overworld or in battle...and when Disease is cured, HP returns back to its normal value SO far...the problem? Instead of decreasing Max HP to the current HP (for instance, if a 1000 HP character lost 500 HP, their new Max HP would be 500 until the status is cured, at which case it would immediately go back to 1000 Max HP), it decreases the Max HP to 1. I even managed to keep the Max HP at 1 even when KO'd and revived and it doesn't restore all HP to max after curing the status as I want...it's just keeping it from dropping to 1 instantly. Anyone have any clue as to how to solve this issue?

After I get Disease done, probably going to work on Bubble. I KNOW these can be done dangit! >_<

EDIT - Ok, so I didn't get Weapon Bless to work fully right. I get it working fine, then add more into it and then it stops working fine. I don't know what's going on...

Code for those who want to help. This first one is for the MAIN Weapon Bless command (i.e. Making it so that while the status is on the character, that character is equipped with the elemental version of that weapon).

This next one is only after battles, where Turn x0 calls the switch for it afterwards.

The final one is ran alongside the first one in a Turns Elapsed [x0 + 1] event. This one is meant to be for when the character is NOT under the status anymore. Reason I put this here is because having an If - Else statement in the first one just wasn't working at all.

Yes, I've tested this with the Gohei and Ying-Yang Orb. In ALL instances, it works perfectly fine with the Gohei, but sometimes it's worked perfectly fine with Ying-Yang Orb, and then when I add more onto the coding, it stops working for it altogether. As of right now, it does not work with Ying-Yang Orb and I don't understand why. So frustrating >_<

Rep:
Level 85
Ah, thanks for reminding me about this one Modern. So I did manage to get Weapon Bless fully implemented and functional (still no go with Disease/Bubble though. Still need help on those!), and almost got the Heat status fully done. Maybe I should update my tutorials document with this info hm? @_@

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
hehe, well it's definitely useful info. I only wish more people on this site still used 2k3 to take advantage of it! :)

Rep:
Level 85
I haven't seen that many people per say on this site as of lately either (unless I just haven't been coming on here that much or something...I dunno). I think I know what the problem is with Disease, but I'm not sure. Bubble, I haven't started yet but I have a feeling it'll run into the same issue that Disease is, being that it's constantly being checked, therefore will constantly increase/decrease instead of being at a static value like I want them to be >_<

On a sidnote, that Weapon Bless coding took 3 1/2 weeks to implement. Just saying...which is why I'm discarding Status Bless. I am NOT copy/pasting 2000+ weapons manually now, because Ultimate 2k9 doesn't let you copy/paste above 5000 ;_;

Rep:
Level 85
So, I've recently decided to add a new ability to my game to make it more interesting and unique (or to at least fit in with the character's gimmick. She uses Gadgeteer/Tinker abilities from FFTA/FFTA2, which if you don't know, are abilities that have a 50% chance of working on either your entire party or the enemy party, and her secondary command is a Slot type ability, minus the Slots). This ability, as you can guess, is the Lucky 7 ability. Now, my question is, can I mimic what it does in FFIX? For those who don't know, this is what it does in FFIX:

If the last digit of Zidane's HP is 7, then the skill will either deal 7, 77, 777, or 7777 damage

Is it possible to mimic this precisely, or will I have to forgo the whole last digit HP thing and just have a 30/30/30/10 chance for the damage?

Rep:
Level 82
If the last digit of Zidane's HP is 7, then the skill will either deal 7, 77, 777, or 7777 damage

Is it possible to mimic this precisely, or will I have to forgo the whole last digit HP thing and just have a 30/30/30/10 chance for the damage?

I don't have 2k3 on the laptop, so I can only hazard a guess.

Have a skill that doesn't do anything but will trigger the HP check during battle. Get the HP of the desired actor, and use modulus by 10 to get the last digit of the value. Then you can check that digit to see if it is a 7. If it is, then deal damage as appropriate. It would have to use some random number to match against the percentage chance to see which of those damage is dealt. I'm not sure how easy it is to use this on a single target either. It's been a long time since I used the battle command scripts.

I'm not entirely sure on the mechanics behind the attack either. All I know is that if the last digit is 7, it does one of those damages, otherwise it does 1 damage. Depending on when this skill get's acquired, you may need to perform some additional arithmetic to balance the skill. Doing 7777 damage in the early game might be a little too much.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 85
The skill for my game is gotten (for right now) 50% of the way through the game (7777 is still pretty high aye). I haven't decided on if it'll be an ability learned later on or not, but just having it there right now is all I'm worried about. I was going to make it check against whether or not last digit is 7, and if it is, then it'd be a 30/30/30/10 chance for one of the others (the 10% being the 7777). Those could be adjusted later I suppose but that's all I have on that right now. Just trying to set up a Gambler type character, even though nobody really uses Gamblers.

The only way to have it target a single enemy with a character is to use the Command ability (it'll never single-target if you use a Switch ability in a subskill sadly). Hence why it's going to end up being an AoE skill in general (plus makes it more useful, since the ability is pretty situational as it is).

I have a few more abilities/commands that I need working on, but that's for later I suppose. I already posted what they are in my main topic so if you want to take a look-see at those and see what to do about those, feel free to. I might post them here if I need any help with coding them (shouldn't really, but never know!). Still have yet to get Disease working btw people! ;_;
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:38:59 PM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
And that worked like a charm~ Thanks a lot Logan! ^^

Rep:
Level 85
Well, thinking of the modulus command, I'm wondering if it's not possible to do something like this with say, Level ? Holy (yes, you made me think of another ability I wanted to put in the game). So that people know what I'm talking about, copy/pasted from the FFWiki:

"Level ? Holy, also known as L? Pearl, is a Lore learned by Strago Magus that deals Holy damage to all enemies whose level is a multiple of the last digit of the party's current gil. In other words, if the enemy was level 44, and the party's gil amount ended with the digit 2, it would work, but if it ended with 3, it would not. Also, if the final digit is 1 or 0 (although there is no logical way to divide by 0), it will hit all enemies, guaranteed"

Obviously, this won't be used on enemies since they don't have levels (unless you manually put in levels yourself since they were silly enough to not let you give enemies levels), but would it be possible to do at all?

In addition, speaking of Levels, there's also an ability called Dark Shock/Dischorder, which halves the target's level. If you do this in battle, would it reset to the right level after battle, or would you have to put the character's actual level in a separate variable and call it after battle to fix levels?

(There was another ability I wanted to ask about here as well, but I completely forgot about it while thinking about this one....confound it all...).

Also, on topic of Lucky 7, after testing it enough, it seems that the 30/30/30/10 ratio works I guess? I have never hit 7777 once though, which kinda bothers me. I might make it 25% all around since the ability is so situational.