RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Visage of Evil

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Visage of Evil
A Modern Day RPG

Storyline:
Many things have been misinterpreted and overanalyzed in the small village of Salek--fairly reminiscent of Salem, Massachusetts in the 1600's--but there are other things that, under the shade of the nearby forest, remain hidden from even the most goodly of citizens. Something dark stirs in the nearby woods, something evil. The woods seem peaceful enough, except for the flickering eyes in the thickets of trees and the threat of native savages.

A young man, Nathaniel, meets with his elder in the village to discuss matters of great importance to the steadfast sanctity of the village, though the young man has no idea what the older man wishes to discuss with him. Nathaniels young wife, Grace, wishes him peace and good will as she dreads and attempts to delay his departure. For her, Nathaniel is proof of eartlhy love and good will in men. He is her rock, her better half.

After coming upon unearthly shrieks and wicked happenings, Nathaniel is distraught over the future of the village and, indeed, the world. He discovers the source of evil in the village of Salek and learns of the child born from the earth whom he must ultimately shun.

As the past gives way to the present, two young men are living ordinary lives. Both are students; both are good men. Their good friend, Clint--who is a bit odd if you want to know the truth--is fired from his job at a local grocery store for sexual harrassment--I told you he was a bit odd. Nevertheless, his unemployment turns into blind rage. Clint's rage awakens a dark, satanic power within him. This power turns out to be very destructive as it, more or less, causes the social order to collapse and garners him followers who are naturally drawn to evil.

Fast forward a few hours, and you can plainly see the rotting earth and the exhumed corpses. You can see the fiery wrath of the local police force and the rattling of the citizens sanity collapse into all-out mayhem. The world has, in ways, turned upside down in the wake of Clint's fall from grace. It is up to his two friends, and many others, to stop him before it's too late. What is clint truly capable of? How is the present and Clint's plight connected to the events that took place in the early 1600's? That is for you, the player, to discover.

This is the basic of basics behind the twisted tale that I call Visage of Evil.

Characters:

Nathaniel: A Puritan of the most pious sort, Nathaniel lives in the small vilalge of Salek along with his caring wife, Grace. Nathaniel despises anything associated with evil doings and Native American practices. Nathaniel respects the leaders and elders of the town almost as much as he respects his strict Puritan values. He later comes to a metaphorical crossroad that forces him to make a very difficult decision between his commitment to god and his commitement to the township as a whole. Can Nathaniel truly live out the rest of his days as any man upon a hill should?

Vox: Vox is a mysterious elder of the village of Salek. He sees something in Nathaniel that gives him hope--both for his fellow man and for the future of the tiny Puritan village.

Trevor "Trev" Price: A fairly down-to-earth young man who lives a life full of peaceful dabblings. He feels love for his family and his friends--and for clint, whom he has known for 21 years.

Greg "Edgar" Graham: Trev's best friend and caring companion, Greg is getting ready to marry his fiance and settle down. Greg knows a bit about weaponry and combat tactics, although a budding genius remains cloaked in the dark recesses of his brain.

Clint Appleton: A perverted, homophobic, dyslexic, and intricate fellow who works to live and not the other way around.

Rena Anderson: A grocery store clerk at Kohling's Grovery Store. She is timid and simple, although her fury is something to truly behold. She first discovered her tucked-away ferocious sensibilities when confronted by Clint Appleton a few too many times. She is adept at fighting and follows her heart.

Christie Von Kampfer: A self-made mercenary and weapons expert, Christie is no stranger to conflict. A rough past has marred her personality and has inhibited her trust of others around her, even before the great "fall from grace."

Others are present yet remain hidden in the game.

Scripts/Systems:

Rm2k/Dragon Quest style battle system using (looking for the name, currently)'s script.
    Custom Crafting System
    Some Custom Sprites
    Some Custom Monsters

Other Noteworthy Features:

Archaic writing and contemporary writing - I have spent many hours studying the language of the early Puritans.
    Two different time periods - Play as both an early Puritan and as a modern-day man.
    Modern-day, eccentric monsters - Wage battle against the forces of evil in the past--Crazed Woodsmen, savage Indians, rattled deer--and those of the present--anything from a ticked-off grocery clerk to a deranged police officer--this has it all.

Credits:

Me, Pokeytrev, and me alone.

Screenshots:

Above: Nathaniel is on his way to the general shoppe to purchase some flower for his dear wife--yes I know this isn't the most appealing screenshot.

More coming very, very soon.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:14:59 PM by pokeytrev »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Maybe it's because I'm not very smart, but I don't see much connective tissue between the three elements of your story. Why on earth would anyone's sacking lead to a full scale societal collapse? And what  Indeed. does that have to do with a puritan community?
Perhaps your audience would appreciate just a BIT more information, just enough to foreshadow the connections.
:tinysmile:

Well, to be honest, this isn't exactly a very politically correct or serious story by any means. As far as the connections go, well, I don't want to spoil them. That's part of what I want people to play the game for: to find the connections and have a fun time playing the game.

I am going to post much more soon, however. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try and post a little more information that explains it a little better without spoiling the story--good point.

Added a bit more information although it doesn't quite tie it all together completely for the previous-mentioned reasons.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Okay, better. If drawing people in through curiosit was your goal, then ou've succeded, at least with me- but I still don't know if it'll be enough for the average RMRKer.

Also, I just found out one of m kes is broken. Time for a new keboard.
:tinysmile: