RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Help with making a quest

Rep: +0/-0Level 58
RMRK Junior
I need help making a quest where you kill x number of monsters and then turn in the quest. I have tried using variables, conditonals, switches and nothing I do is working. Please if you know how to make this type of quest leave detailed instructions. I have looked and searched everywhere and all I find are vague instructions as to how to make this kind of quest. Thank you for helping me if you can.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:16:46 AM by yuyu! »

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I recall seeing something like this, but the location of it escapes me atm, the best way i could figure to do this off the top of my head would be to have evented encounters with said monsters, and having the player do a bunch of those. (increasing a monster killed variable eachtime)

RMRK Junior
Thx for the reply. I did find a small bit on it but nothing detailed.
If this is posted on the wrong forum spot my apologies, I'm new and this is my first time here. I'll learn my way around :D
 I'm using rpg  gamemaker vx btw.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:31:33 PM by greyden »

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
Well.. depending on what battle system you're using, all you would have to do is go into your data base and move over to troops. In the battle event area at the bottom, put in a conditional branch, and make the condition "QuestStart" or whatever you switch is on. Now put control variable +1 for your kill count. And in the quest giver's event, put another conditional branch and make the condition; If "KillCount" is greater than or equal to how many you have to kill..
Or you could just script it like so ;

Code: [Select]
Class Game_Party < Game_Unit

alias ekc_initialize initialize
  def initialize
    ekc_initialize
    @enemy_kill_count = 0
  end

def increase_kill_count
    @enemy_kill_count += 1
  end

def kill_count
    return @enemy_kill_count
  end

end

class Game_Enemy < Game_Battler

alias ekc_perform_collapse perform_collapse
  def perform_collapse
    ekc_perform_collapse
    $game_party.increase_kill_count
  end

end
$game_party.kill_count return the value of kills..
I don't take any credit for this, I found the script at Rpgmakervx.net..
I also found how to do this at Rpgmakervx.net, so props to them. x3
なんでやねん

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
There's a faster way to do that.
Code: [Select]
class Game_Party < Game_Unit
  attr_accessor :enemy_kill_count
  alias ekc_initialize initialize
  def initialize(*a)
    ekc_initialize(*a)
    @enemy_kill_count = 0
  end
end

class Game_Enemy < Game_Battler
  alias ekc_perform_collapse perform_collapse
  def perform_collapse(*a)
    ekc_perform_collapse(*a)
    $game_party.enemy_kill_count += 1
  end
end
Instead of $game_party.kill_count, now use $game_party.enemy_kill_count
Sorry for stealing this AbsoluteIce, I just saw an opportunity to make a code more efficient. Also, the first line of your code would cause a syntax error, because 'class' and all other keywords are case sensitive.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK Junior
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely give this a try. I appreciate everyone's help. :D

I appreciate both of you trying to help. :D Apparently I'm not skilled enough to make either of these 2 methods work. But hopefully it will help others who may be interested in creating this type of quest.

Update: After about a week of trial and error I finally found what I was looking for in a tutorial so it seems as though this problem is solved. Thanks again to those who helped.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:11:41 PM by greyden »

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
If you have visible enemies, then it's just a variable tied to the event. Event of enemy, with variable attached, enter combat, if you win; erase event have variable +1. Tie the variables to a visible counter or to the event offering the quest. such as: go up to king who told you to kill 10 skeletons.  "Sorry, you've only killed two out of ten skeletons"
Internet killed the video star...