RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2K3] Fixing up EXP values

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
So I've been thinking of redoing my EXP values in my game, and am wondering if there isn't a good way of doing EXP at all in 2k3. Right now, my current EXP (for everyone) is 0-613-1 IIRC (something like that. Can't be bothered to open 2k3 right now to check, but it's very close to that value). Is there a good way of doing EXP traditionally, since 2k3 doesn't let you do values manually (which I will never understand why not for the sake of making level ups easier to manage but...).

Rep:
Level 82
I don't think any of the RMs let you manually (in an easy to do way) change the exp requirements. You can with XP/VX/VXA use a script to overwrite the exp list making method to use a different formula for calculating exp requirements. By default they like to generate a curve.

You could use variables to achieve what you want. You'd have to make sure the exp requirements are at the highest (2000, 2000, 2000) and you wouldn't be able to award more than 5999 exp at a given time (otherwise the default system would kick in and level up your characters etc). If that's not a problem then you might be alright in making a system that mimics exp. The real issue, though, is that the exp showing in the status window will not reflect the correct values. I'm not entirely sure what to do with that.

I can properly explain how you might go about this one, but I'm short on time atm so I'll do it when I get back home.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 85
I'd like to try and use the default if possible. It's just that setting it up properly USING default is the hard thing (early game, it's not easy to level up at all, and later on it's stupidly easy, then goes back to not being easy. It just bounces everywhere in the game...gaining 8-10 levels in one area within very little fights isn't what I had in mind...).

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I'm not really sure I understand the question, given that I use RMVX. But I can tell you that in VX you can assign XP valuses to your monsters when you create them, and a good rule of thumb for a relatively fast-paced game is to have 13.33 encounters of appropriate challenge equal a level up. Of course, you'd need to balance that with the needs of your game, since a longer or shorter dungeon may not fit those needs, and there's always the factor of how much you want your player to grind.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 85
Basically, the question is this: What is a good starting point for EXP values at the start of the game to start with? For instance, using my EXP values as an example, at level 1 you'd need 614 EXP to level up to level 2 (which is ridiculous to say the least, but...). What is the most appropriate EXP to give to the players from encounters according to that then (of note, using that formula of 0-614-1, and my characters starting at level 6 at the start of the game...That's roughly 3600 EXP or so that the player would need at the start of the game in order level up to level 7. Still nuts...). And the other part of the question being, what is the best way to handle the Level Up curve?

Hope that helps with explaining the question more? Hard to explain really. Maybe I should get screenshots to help? ^^;;