RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Where to start?

Rep: +0/-0Level 61
RMRK Junior
Hi guys, I think this is the appropriate forum section to post this in, basically I am wondering what program you guys would recommend using?

I'm gonna start messing around with RM2K3 since I read the battle-system is 3rd person style out the box but I would like to hear opinions of people who have been using these programs for some time, one of the newer ones might be more fun or popular.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
If you're brand new, you could probably start with 2K3 just fine. If you're curious about XP or VX or the upcoming Ace, you can always give their free trials a try to see what you make of them.

RMRK Junior
Yeah I'm liking RMK3, only problem is people would have to install it on their PC to play anything you made.

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
You can edit the config file and grab an extra .dll for RM2k3 so that people can play your games without installing the program.

- How-to

It's just as much, if not more, trouble to do this for RMXP as just creating a Gamedisk does not make it a self-contained file. Not sure on VX as I haven't used that one yet.

RMRK Junior
You can edit the config file and grab an extra .dll for RM2k3 so that people can play your games without installing the program.

- How-to

It's just as much, if not more, trouble to do this for RMXP as just creating a Gamedisk does not make it a self-contained file. Not sure on VX as I haven't used that one yet.

Hey I just tested that and it works perfectly, thanks.

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
No problem, glad it worked. ^.^